Cupra Tyres / seasonal storage UK

Alistair Swanson

Oct 29, 2020
I've got a Formentor on order (1.5 TSI V2) which was due January but they think it may be available around November :)

So, I need to figure out a winter tyres solution sooner rather than later. I've had my own wheels and swapped them myself on Leons for about 9 years now, and it can be the difference between getting out of my housing estate or not.

I'm not averse to buying spare wheels and winter tyres (225/50R18 on j8 18 inch rims might make sense?), but they look like they're a bit too big for my current storage arrangement.

Has anyone seen/used the 'tyres solution'? It talks about seasonal storage - https://www.cupraofficial.com/owners/tyres-solutions. I can't find much details about it.

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Nope, I’m lucky enough I can store 4 in the shed (used to have 5 when I did a lot of mileage, so had 6 rims stacked - five from the off season set plus a seasonal spare!) but a number of places (KwikFit for one) offer “tyre hotels” for 4 off-season tyres, and you could keep the 2 spares at home maybe? Just shop around for the best prices.

Reactions: Alistair Swanson

Alistair Swanson

Oct 29, 2020
Just make sure the wheel/tyre sizes you use are the manufactures recommended ones in the type approval. Not sure where you find that info for Formentor though.
For insurance reasons? Or you mean to avoid the risk of not having sufficient space for the brakes?

Thinking I should be ok to drop from 19 inch (v2) to 18 inch (v1) given the brakes are the same, and I think I read the wheels are 8j so should be ok for 225 rather than 245, but genuinely have no idea where I could confirm that. Suppose I should speak to my friendly SEAT dealer who'll be my Cupra Service Center.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
For insurance reasons? Or you mean to avoid the risk of not having sufficient space for the brakes?

Thinking I should be ok to drop from 19 inch (v2) to 18 inch (v1) given the brakes are the same, and I think I read the wheels are 8j so should be ok for 225 rather than 245, but genuinely have no idea where I could confirm that. Suppose I should speak to my friendly SEAT dealer who'll be my Cupra Service Center.
Check out the wheel/tyre size on a V1 spec car ( they are on 18" from the factory )

Last car I had winters on - the insurance company were good with them as long as one car in the range had the smaller wheel as std fitment.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Hi.
Hopefully you won't have but if you have any issues with insurance with winter tyres then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.