Cupra v Golf R

perkman1969

Feb 25, 2015
NE England
think the Leon is a prettier car whicever style/shape you choose.
upfront it's better value, but residuals will maybe make up some shortfall. Have to wait and see on this.
but the Golf estate just looks boring....

I was in the lucky position of being able to chose either but have seen so many R's on the road (against 3 other 280s in nearly a year) and each time had to look 3 times before I could tell it was an R. Like you say Andrew, they're just plain boring! Never regret my purchase, and when you're paying 7k more to get the standard toys we get, that goes a long way to offset the depreciation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
I was in the lucky position of being able to chose either but have seen so many R's on the road (against 3 other 280s in nearly a year) and each time had to look 3 times before I could tell it was an R. Like you say Andrew, they're just plain boring! Never regret my purchase, and when you're paying 7k more to get the standard toys we get, that goes a long way to offset the depreciation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Me too. I got a fairly sizeable inheritance and decided to get a newish car. I test drove both cars and chose the 280. I just think it's a better car. Still like the Golf R though!

Matt280

Jan 14, 2015
You can get a 14 plate Leon 280 for 22 grand. That's over 5 grand loss in the first year

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

I would be interested to know how many people bought brand new and paid list price, however.

I bought a three month old car and paid £7k under list (list including options). I test drove a Golf GTI, Golf R, Cupra, Focus ST, Megane 265 (although this was just to try it out compared to my old R26 - i needed a 5 door car!) and the Cupra just represented the best overall package.

The VW dealer basically wanted £5k more than i paid for a very similar spec GTI. The Golf R would have been £9k(!) more, once you factor in DCC, ACC etc and they weren't budging on the prices. Really glad with what i chose. Partly understand that residuals may be stronger in the Golf but i'm struggling to fully understand that argument when there are so many Golf R's about. Also, as i have been told (by SWMBO(!)) that i have to keep this car for 4 years minimum, i fail to see how i would recoup £9k!!

Love the Cupra! it just feels 'alive' compared to the Golf R. 4wd has obvious benefits in extreme weather, but the Golf felt so nailed down it wasn't fun. Truth be told, for this reason, i would have bought a GTI over an R.

twitchynik

Sep 12, 2006
Bought (PCP) brand new from local dealer with 9% discount and a very, very good trade in for my 184. Overall package equated to about 14% off compared to other dealers and their trade in prices.

I had no interest in the Golf R estate. Far too much money for something that isn't that much better. Only the 4WD bit I'd like but only then when/if the weather is bad enough to make use of it. But that's what winters tyres on the Mrs runabout are for ;)

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
I was told the reason for so many Golf Rs around is that the majority are bought on a PCP and the R is only a few £ more than the GTi (approx. £20 a month irrc).
If you want a GTi now, chances are the wait will be very short as they aren’t selling in the way they expected (was told by a VW Dealer – GTDs on the other hand are selling well). Having said that getting a discount on a GTi is not easy (DTD or Orangewheels would be the place to go with £4k off list). Has also just had 2016MY upgrade and all get DCC, Navigation and Winter Pack in the price.
Do see plenty of Rs and GTDs around, but fewer GTis and I have only seen 2 Cupras on the road, a Dynamic Grey ST on the M27 (looked great) and a very dirty Black 5 Dr on the M25.

pulpmelon_280

Jul 24, 2015
There are 10x as many Golf R's on the road for every Cupra (fact - see Howmanyleft.com)

Most of them are rentals as already pointed out.

Last edited:

perkman1969

Feb 25, 2015
NE England
One thing I do like in the Golf R is the interior and the massive sat nav screen.. now that is sexy

Agreed. It's the only part of the car I fancied over my Cupra. I know you look at that part of a car the most but I also like to look out the window and admire my gleaming red paint draped over those lovely angles. ;)

bretth1974

May 3, 2015
Agreed. It's the only part of the car I fancied over my Cupra. I know you look at that part of a car the most but I also like to look out the window and admire my gleaming red paint draped over those lovely angles. ;)

Standard sat nav in golf r is 6.5 inch same as new Cupra but will cost you £750. 8 inch sat nav will set you back £2000.

Nice....but not that nice!

Last edited:

pulpmelon_280

Jul 24, 2015
My colleague has a blue Golf R 5dr, I cant take anything away from him its a great car.

But I paid 10k less for the same spec in Cupra land and lets face it only losing out on on badge appeal and some interior highlights.

In a greater number of situations the curpa has a tiny bit more performance and noticeably better dynamics. Basically the golf is faster from a dig and below 3rd gear in the rain, on the road you wont be able to create a gap between them.

I can now spend that 10k i saved on a wolf of wall st style drug and hooker binge, wish me luck.

Last edited:

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
My colleague has a blue Golf R 5dr, I cant take anything away from him its a great car.

But I paid 10k less for the same spec in Cupra land and lets face it only losing out on on badge appeal and some interior highlights.

In a greater number of situations the curpa has a tiny bit more performance and noticeably better dynamics. Basically the golf is faster from a dig and below 3rd gear in the rain, on the road you wont be able to create a gap between them.

I can now spend that 10k i saved on a wolf of wall st style drug and hooker binge, wish me luck.

lol:rofl:

sidy64

Oct 18, 2019
London e17
just brought a 2018 cupra 300, absolutly love it, very quick, lovely comfortable seats, excellent dsg box, i have it in comfort setting and when i want a blast just click the lever back and your in sport mode, revs to the redline or you can change via the paddles, very happy with it, lovely mystery blue colour, also you dont see many on the road which is another bonus in my book, overall very impressed.

Reactions: black_sheep

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
just brought a 2018 cupra 300, absolutly love it, very quick, lovely comfortable seats, excellent dsg box, i have it in comfort setting and when i want a blast just click the lever back and your in sport mode, revs to the redline or you can change via the paddles, very happy with it, lovely mystery blue colour, also you dont see many on the road which is another bonus in my book, overall very impressed.
Glad that you are enjoying the new car.

Just so that you are aware, pulling the DSG lever back only changes the gearbox settings on the 300 to sport. You need to switch driving modes to ‘Sport’ or ‘Cupra’ for the steering, suspension, throttle response to be altered too.

If you are really bonkers, you can even set the gearbox to ‘Eco’ mode in the individual settings so that it coasts when off throttle!

sidy64

Oct 18, 2019
London e17
Glad that you are enjoying the new car.

Just so that you are aware, pulling the DSG lever back only changes the gearbox settings on the 300 to sport. You need to switch driving modes to ‘Sport’ or ‘Cupra’ for the steering, suspension, throttle response to be altered too.

If you are really bonkers, you can even set the gearbox to ‘Eco’ mode in the individual settings so that it coasts when off throttle!
hi mate, yes im aware of what your saying, ive only had it a week and my first ever auto! so still playing around with it, will try all the other settings in due course, so many different configerations to choose, like a kid with a new toy! thanks for your reply, happy motoring!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.