Dash lights up like a christmas tree. - Help?

bigrj

Jan 11, 2007
Crawley
Happy rainy bank holiday folks.

I need some help with my Toledo (Mk2)

Friday evening im driving along and the EPS light, lights up on the dash. Brake lights not coming on so i assume that, the brake light switch is the problem. The next day the light is no longer on and the brake lights are working fine.

I assume that the switch is on its way out and i purchase a new one. However on the way back from the garage my battery light comes on. Then goes off, i give it some gas it comes on again. This happens all the way home. Car still seems to be running fine and i drive it a few more time with no problem, just the battery light coming on and off.

Que today on route to the shops with the misses. Its raining as wipers are on, radio is on, lights are on etc. etc. The battery light is sill coming on when i give it plenty of right foot. Then as i'm sat in traffic, the radio turns off, abs light, traction control light and air bag lights all come on, the dash back light dims, wipers go in super slow mode, rev counter is jumpy as is the speedo.

I didn't notice any preformance problems but i didn't give it any beans i simply nursed the car home. Turned it off and tried to re-start. The car would not turn over at all.

I left it for 30 mins and tried again. This time starts up no problem and with no warning lights.

Any ideas what's going on?

Cheers

Ryan

jake-1991

Nov 30, 2011
Possible battery or alternater on its last legs maybe? I had a megane once that used to do this so took the battery off gave it a full charge threw it back on and problem went away

Dox1966

Jul 13, 2007
Also check the fuse box above the battery, look for green oxidisation on the wires at the terminals inside the fuse box

bigrj

Jan 11, 2007
Crawley
Thanks for the replies.

Bat and all connections are very clean.
Fuses all look good.
And tension on the belt seems good also.

For a few month the car made a squeal when started (drivers side) I thought this was the starter motor. But could this have been the alternator on its way out?
Car just started and again lit up with abs, TC and airbag lights. Turned it off and it would not start again.

Sounds like something is siezed?

Dox1966

Jul 13, 2007
When you say the car doesn't start do you mean it turns over but doesn't fire up or just silence or a click?

bigrj

Jan 11, 2007
Crawley
It turns over slowly and clicks. I noticed that the clock has re set to 00:00
Battery light is not lit up

Dox1966

Jul 13, 2007
Its sounds a battery or battery connection problem. Follow the battery leads to there terminations, one goes to the starter motor, the other goes to the gearbox bellhousing, make sure both are clean and secure both at the battery and there respective terminations. The earth cable also goes to the underside of the battery box to earth the body of the car, this is another connection that needs to be secure and clean.

The starter motor take a large heavy current when turning over the engine, a poor connection will give the problems you're having.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
My money is on battery or battery/earth connection fault. Maybe alternator. A test meter will confirm this.

The christmas tree lights always come up after the battery is disconnected or flat, once started and driven round the block the ABS and steering etc will calibrate and the lights will go out.

Hope they don't sting you too much.

bigrj

Jan 11, 2007
Crawley
Cheers for the post Nath,

I have now got the car back after it was off the road for 3 weeks turns out the alternator had died and was unrepairable.

new bosch alternator in, £300 lighter in the back pocket and we are back in business.

Last edited:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
What was that, £150 for the part and £150 for diagnosis and fitting?

A £5 test meter from tesco could have measured your battery voltage at tickover. Less than 14volts and the alternator is the fault as long as you have a good 12volts when the engine is off.

Good to hear it's fixed though.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.