Dashboard dead after changing ignition barrel

Nov 5, 2022
Hi all.
First post - long time lurker :oops:

Last week my ignition barrel packed up, I couldn't turn to the accessory position. I order a new one off eBay with the ignition switch and kept my working ignition lock so I didn't have immobilizer issues.

Everything working fine - apart from my noob rage and not marking my steering wheel angle - now I have a steering wheel angle sensor fault code :rolleyes: but will look into that later.
Then today I start my car fine and the entire dashboard is dead. No gauges, no lights, nada. All fuses look good. No associated fault codes logged.

I read somewhere that it could be a faulty ignition switch (the electrical part) but unsure as it's new, but will replace tomorrow with a spare I have. Apart from that, are there any other known issues?

Any help would be appreciated. P.S. I'm not great with electrics...yet.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
I'm
Hi all.
First post - long time lurker :oops:

Last week my ignition barrel packed up, I couldn't turn to the accessory position. I order a new one off eBay with the ignition switch and kept my working ignition lock so I didn't have immobilizer issues.

Everything working fine - apart from my noob rage and not marking my steering wheel angle - now I have a steering wheel angle sensor fault code :rolleyes: but will look into that later.
Then today I start my car fine and the entire dashboard is dead. No gauges, no lights, nada. All fuses look good. No associated fault codes logged.

I read somewhere that it could be a faulty ignition switch (the electrical part) but unsure as it's new, but will replace tomorrow with a spare I have. Apart from that, are there any other known issues?

Any help would be appreciated. P.S. I'm not great with electrics...yet.
I'd say it's 99% chance its the ignition switch. I'm not familar with that exact connection layout, but i know on other Vag models the dash gets it's power from a pin on that connector. I think there is 7 or 8 different connections from memory

Nov 5, 2022
Just swapped out the new ignition switch for a newer ignition switch and still dead. The lights come on for half a second when I crank the engine, but nothing at the accessory position.

Update: I've disconnected the battery for about half an hour and reseated the connectors on the steering wheel column board. Lights on dash do show on accessory position, but lights and gauges go out on ignition??

Last edited:

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
Just swapped out the new ignition switch for a newer ignition switch and still dead. The lights come on for half a second when I crank the engine, but nothing at the accessory position.

Update: I've disconnected the battery for about half an hour and reseated the connectors on the steering wheel column board. Lights on dash do show on accessory position, but lights and gauges go out on ignition??

We had something similar on our old MK2, it turned out that when we disconnected the battery we shorted out the instrument cluster and the car would do as you described.

Ended up having to replace the whole instrument cluster (about £800 through the main dealer for a new one) although in hindsight we apparently could have bought a used one on ebay and saved a ton of cash (they were about £150).

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol

I'm not sure tbh, but if the lights work ok in the accesory position, then i can only imagine its something related to the igniton switch

Nov 5, 2022
The lights and gauges now don't come on - apart from a split second when turning the engine to run.

I can order a used instrument cluster for £40, but have just seen that it'll need coding in...is that right? Or I'll hit more immobilizer issues. And that's if the cluster itself is the issue.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
The lights and gauges now don't come on - apart from a split second when turning the engine to run.

I can order a used instrument cluster for £40, but have just seen that it'll need coding in...is that right? Or I'll hit more immobilizer issues. And that's if the cluster itself is the issue.
Yes you'd have to code it. I'm struggling to see how you changing the ignition switch would have damaged it though. It's a very strange fault

Nov 5, 2022
My instrument cluster is now completely dead when checking on it this morning. At no point will it light up now and the immobilizer has turned on because of it.

Engine:
P1650 - Powertrain Data Bus, Missing Message from Instrument Cluster
P1570 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer
.........................................................................................
Central electronic:
01317 - Control Module in Instrument Cluster (J285)

How do I check the cable/harness going into the instrument cluster for power with a multimeter? Complete electrics noob! And is this grounded to the chassis under the battery or other location?

Nov 5, 2022
I've just tested for power from the electric harness going into the IC (constant 12V #2 pin - ground #33 pin) and figures are good. Lights on dash are coming on for a sec when turned to ignition before dying.

Is this a repair on the IC needed? Or is there something else I should be checking? Immobilizer still on so will be the train for me tomorrow :confused:

Reactions: sebadamus

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
I've just tested for power from the electric harness going into the IC (constant 12V #2 pin - ground #33 pin) and figures are good. Lights on dash are coming on for a sec when turned to ignition before dying.

Is this a repair on the IC needed? Or is there something else I should be checking? Immobilizer still on so will be the train for me tomorrow :confused:
Yeah if you have power and ground and with those fault codes, i'd say it's 99% certain that it's the cluster. From what you say about the lights flicking on and then off, it sounds like it's trying to boot up and then the onboard power management chip is detecting a sort circuit and shutting it down. Most likely a shorted capacitor on the board.

Nov 5, 2022
Just an update. Cleaned all earth contacts, replaced battery, changed to original ignition switch (heard cheap eBay ones are flimsy 🤷). Now it all works as it should 👍

Reactions: sebadamus
Mar 8, 2023
Just an update. Cleaned all earth contacts, replaced battery, changed to original ignition switch (heard cheap eBay ones are flimsy 🤷). Now it all works as it should 👍
Could you please provide some details please as my car has gone into SAFE mode and the immobiliser isn't recognising the key anymore. I have had a Auto Locksmith come out and said the keys are ok but the ignition switch/ring/receiver isn't getting power.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.