Dealership reading mileage from key fob?

May 25, 2020
Romania
Hello guys,

Today my wife went to SEAT dealership for yearly inspection and she told me that the guy from the reception wrote down the mileage on the paper without asking her anything.

I'll be a bit more specific: when I made the appointment online I entered 22.500km for mileage, the guy today wrote down 22.693km and my wife got the car back with 22.705km.

She is not sure what was the exact mileage when she dropped the car, but told me that last she remembers is "oh, pretty close to 22.700". The guy got it interestingly close to that and I cannot find any explanation besides having mileage written in the fob (like BMW does).

Now this really got my interest and I tried to dig a bit deeper. If the information I found, the transponder (Megamos ID88, maybe?) actually seems to have a user addressable memory of 30 bits that could be easily used for this purpose, but I wanted to know if anyone has some more info on this topic.

Sorry for the long post, I really want to find out how did they do that!

Thanks!

P.S.: The car is a 2018 Leon 1.0TSI, without KESSY, no navigation and no OBD device (SEAT Connect / SEAT DataPlug I think it was called).

Last edited:
Reactions: Syphon
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise