Deposits on alloy wheels

garyevs

Aug 28, 2015
I have a Cupra 290 with diamond cut, standard cupra black alloys, which is only 14 months old.

The wheels (mainly the front) have developed lots of small brown lumps over them. These cover the face of the wheels and also the flat part of the inside. They look a bit like rust, but they are alloys so can't be.

I have tried Simonitz ultracare alloy wheel cleaner, and used a bristle brush, but it did not have much effect.

I obviously so not want to use anything too abrasive as it will damage the paint.

I have attached a photo, and any insight into what they are and how to get rid of them would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• Alloy.jpg
    Alloy.jpg
    456.9 KB · Views: 151

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
It looks like it‘s possibly iron deposits - either from braking or iron fallout contamination that have become embedded into the paint / powder coat / clear coat on the wheel.

Have a read of this discussion thread which suggests some products you could try to remove these deposits;

I’d strongly advise against using any acid based products on diamond cut alloys, as there‘s a high risk of the acid degrading the clear coat that’s applied during the wheel’s manufacture to protect the machined / diamond cut surfaces on the wheel.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.