Dpf demon

goss008

Dec 26, 2015
Can SEAT LEON owners give me some guidance.
I have a seat Leon fr 184 car only done 29,000 miles I'm the third owner,car kept trying to regen rpm 1000rpm and fans ramp up when turning the ignition off been doing this for the last few days only work 2 miles from work,did a 250mile round trip the other day.

Finally left work the other day dpf light came on had to go 20 miles extra to get light off,can SEAT owners give me some advice to keep on top of this and stop the light coming on,brought some CATACLEAN to put in the fuel tank.
Really appreciate your help.

Last edited:

JK1

May 15, 2002
Bedford
Visit site
Need to put some occasional longer journeys in between those 2 mile commutes. If it's doing 1000rpm go and drive somewhere else for 20mins instead of straight home.

Not much point putting anything in the fuel, it's doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing.

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
Honestly the only thing to suggest is remove the DPF or buy a car without a DPF you will eventually clog the DPF if you keep doing 2 mile journeys with it and it's a non warranty Item and is as close to makes no difference £1000 to put right

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Be warned dpf removal is now an instant mot failure if detected so probably not the best idea. A diesel needs longer runs to clear the dpf and a daily 2 mile journey is not going to allow regeneration to complete. No amount of snake oil will remove the smoke a diesel emits it may reduce . Maybe buy a push bike for commute or buy a petrol and drive.

dsr

Nov 1, 2014
Norwich
The bottom line, unknown by most until they have their FR diesel, is that you shouldn't buy one if you are predominantly doing short, commuting journeys. The diesel needs a few longer runs each month. Advice about taking the car out for 20+ minutes on a clear road is good, but annoyingly wasteful if the only reason for it is to prevent the DPF problem.

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
The bottom line, unknown by most until they have their FR diesel, is that you shouldn't buy one if you are predominantly doing short, commuting journeys. The diesel needs a few longer runs each month. Advice about taking the car out for 20+ minutes on a clear road is good, but annoyingly wasteful if the only reason for it is to prevent the DPF problem.
And wipes out any economical reasons the driver opted for a diesel in the first place.

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
it's not just about the time. Needs to be at operating temp, and then maybe 15 mins at over 2000 rpm, so you need to be in a lower gear than 6th.
as said above - don't buy a diesel for a 2 mile commute. Hindsight. A wonderful thing...

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
If you only work 2 miles away from home why even drive? Can't you cycle or walk and just use your car for longer journeys. :confused:

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
(My Merc) I only do short miles, in my hand book it says about every 300 miles go for a 20 min drive
on a open road in a low gear mines an auto so I put it in manual and keep it above 2000 rpm in 9 month done 3k no problems.

CharlesTheTog

Jan 28, 2015
Dpf delete and remap to get rid of the CEL.

Can be done and still pass an MOT as it's just a visual inspection. Where are you based?

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
And you wonder why you get DPF issues? FFS.

If your daily journey is a 2 mile commute and you really need a car best advice is sell it and buy a Cupra. The economy will be as near as dammit the same and no dpf worries.
My wife does a 10 mile round trip each day into central Brum, a while back she used my work motor for a month or so (140CR Passat) and the fuel consumption was almost identical to the Cupra.

CharlesTheTog

Jan 28, 2015
So let me get this correct, you bought a diesel with a dpf and you only do 2 miles to work... and then to add to that you had it remapped.

Now i do remaps my self so i know the ins and outs.

Your first mistake, why buy a diesel if you're doing such short runs, a petrol is cheaper.

Your second mistake, buying a diesel that is new enough to have a dpf filter.

your third mistake, not removing the DPF Filter.

Your fourth mistake, having a remap on a car that is already struggling due to how its been driven.

If you want a fix, remove the DPF filter, then you can do as many short or long trips as you like and you wont have to worry.

Remember though it is an MOT fail if you don't have a DPF (but it's just a visual inspection so unless you're daft you wont get caught)

Houghsx

Aug 11, 2015
What happens to your insurance if you had an accident and they found you had altered the dpf? So basically you drove a car that would fail the MOT?

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
if they find out you're in the S*** as the car will have been modified from the manufacturers spec.
They will ALWAYS try to wriggle out, and modding a car without telling them is a perfect ten for them....
remaps, suspension, even changing wheels - they all give insurance companies an out, as when you take it out you state that the vehicle is not modified in any way.
Unless you tell them, in which case they'll probably charge extra.
very hard to win with insurance....

jake100biggins

Jan 1, 2016
Be warned dpf removal is now an instant mot failure if detected so probably not the best idea. A diesel needs longer runs to clear the dpf and a daily 2 mile journey is not going to allow regeneration to complete. No amount of snake oil will remove the smoke a diesel emits it may reduce . Maybe buy a push bike for commute or buy a petrol and drive.
Or maybe removed and gut the dpf, blank egr and get a remap.
I did this and then went for mot.
Passed no problem.
Smokes no more than before under load but is a well serviced cared for turbo diesel.
Goes a lot better too.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

jake100biggins

Jan 1, 2016
Refitted hollow dpf so looks as it should, was a very thorough mot tester and passed emmission test with flying colours.
Run on shell and millers eco max.
Never been run on super market fuel, not sure if that makes any difference but makes me feel happier.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise