Dpf demon

dids

Apr 5, 2015
Stockport
Take it for a drive on a weekend and enjoy your car then you will be ok.It's a great car and should be enjoyed you have spent a lot of money so why not go on for a drive !

Houghsx

Aug 11, 2015
Take it for a drive on a weekend and enjoy your car then you will be ok.It's a great car and should be enjoyed you have spent a lot of money so why not go on for a drive !
Best advice right there.

philhoward

Aug 17, 2015
Refitted hollow dpf so looks as it should, was a very thorough mot tester and passed emmission test with flying colours.
Run on shell and millers eco max.
Never been run on super market fuel, not sure if that makes any difference but makes me feel happier.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

You're feeling happier poisoning everyone else? Do you know what the DPF actually does? The crap they stop coming out (nano particles generated by common rail diesels) are more harmful than asbestos.

Just because it passed an MoT doesn't mean it's legal - the Type Approval is now null and void. Your car is now illegal under the Construction and Use Regulations. It wasn't picked up by the MoT because they don't yet have the equipment to measure it properly. Hence why they can only do a visual check.

DPF removal is illegal for a good reason.

Sorry for the rant but it seriously gets on my nerves.

Mk3 Se

Dec 1, 2015
You're feeling happier poisoning everyone else? Do you know what the DPF actually does? The crap they stop coming out (nano particles generated by common rail diesels) are more harmful than asbestos.

Just because it passed an MoT doesn't mean it's legal - the Type Approval is now null and void. Your car is now illegal under the Construction and Use Regulations. It wasn't picked up by the MoT because they don't yet have the equipment to measure it properly. Hence why they can only do a visual check.

DPF removal is illegal for a good reason.

Sorry for the rant but it seriously gets on my nerves.

Having had 2 close relatives die of lung disease caused by the inhalation of airborne dust/particles I applaud philhoward for post the above.

As the man says "DPF removal is illegal for a good reason"

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
it does seem over the last few years (decades?) that there is ALWAYS something new to keep the population concerned or afraid.
USSR, CFC, greenhouse gases, Aids, Bird Flu, Global warming, BSE, climate change (NOT warming, since that was becoming obviously b***ocks), ISIS, Russia - the list seems endless.
But it does look like we SHOULD be concerned about diesel particles, otherwise the car companies wouldn't have cheated around the regs.
Please keep the DPFs on, and put up with the regens. Like the man said - take it for a drive!!

Mk3 Se

Dec 1, 2015
Like the man said - take it for a drive!!

Back in 2010 the wifes car was up for change so we looked at a Passat 1.4 TSi. She only worked locally, about 5 miles which was mostly across town. She had a diesel at the time but it had no DPF and having read the horror stories we did not want one. VW salesman insisted we would have no issues saying they had never sold a car that had DPF problems. I asked him to confirm in writing that if we had problems they would be sorted under warranty, he refused. He then went on to say that every day (yes every day) after work the wife should take the car for a drive on the motorway which would ensure the DPF was clean.

So instead of doing 10 miles a day the salesman was suggesting she did an extra 20 miles. My maths suggested that at 30 mpg in a petrol her fuel bill would be approx. £9 a week. In a Passat diesel estate doing the extra miles at 50 mpg her fuel bill would have been approx. £16 a week. Pointed this out to the salesman who walked away probably realising he was a total arse.

A few weeks later the wife got a new job which resulted in 40 miles a day commuting so she bought a diesel with a DPF and had no issues. But it was not a VW.

We both now drive petrols. My 140 PS Leon has averaged 45 mpg for almost 3 years, my previous 143 PS diesel averaged 48 mpg for 5 1/2 years so my fuel bill is very little extra. Wife is now retired and drives a 98 PS petrol which is averaging about 45 mpg a good percentage of which is trips under 10 miles. Her 115 PS diesel averaged 51 mpg over the 5 years she had it but on short runs it was crap plus it would definitely need longer runs to regen the DPF resulting in more fuel usage.

Diesels are great if you use them appropriately.

Modern turbo petrols are better all round IMHO.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.