Dpf **presure sensor**

MATT'88

Selling Leon 170 TDI
Oct 19, 2008
ESSEX
Hello, no not just another topic on dpf.

Im sitting in my living room waiting for a call from seat....

Yesterday i took my fr derv to the seat dealer (57) due to dpf, all 3 lights were on.
They told me that if the dpf is dead and its not under warranty that i would have to pay for the diagnostics test. 47.95. I werent hapy with that but left it with them and was going to bite the bullet (not without a fight tho). They phoned me around 5.45pm last night and told me that the pressure sensor inside the dpf has gone wrong. And that i dont ned to pay for the part or the diagnostics test as its under warranty. They also had to re-generate the dpf.

Now.. i do have a stage 1 revo remap, that was done by seat in essex (grants-braintree).
I spoke to the lady who re-paired my car and she gave me a little insite to seat.. this is what she said.

"Seat's are good for long journeys but very bad on short journeys especially if it is the dpf model, We had a seat leon in the other month on just 800miles that needed a new dpf and it cost them 1300"

Tell me if im being a TW*T but surely a car is a car and you can drive as much or as little as you like.?? Also what is the point in fitting a dpf?? Its to help not pollute the world but you have to do long journeys for it to work. but yet the goverment's advert on tv is to drive 5miles less a week..... how can you win?? Also they say the dpf is a common fault so why dont they sort it out. Also the dpf is not under warranty, I personally never got told this when i brought my car. It also is not written in my owners manual or any part of documentation i have been given with the car.

Untill seat phoned me up saying that it is all covered under warranty i was going to seek legal advice...The 30mins free legal advice i had thru Citizens Advice Burea said it sounds like i have a very strong case. So if anyone is in this problem of the dpf failure..I certainly recomend thinking about it before spending lots of cash.

They have just called me and said its ready to collect. So im off to collect...wonder how long it will last before the light comes back on. But its getting traded in at the end off the month. never will i buy a seat again. I personally think there after sales care is crap. After if i cant drive a car as little as i need then it seems a waste of time.....

Matt

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
hold on - you moan about the dpf and short journeys and are already to get on you high horse and go to court blah blah - but then in the same rant you state you have stage 1 revo (i.e. something that is NOT manuafacuter approved and that WILL increase soot and therefore block the filter quicker)

Your a nutter - really truthfully a nutter.

RE: 800 mile car - yeah if it *was* true and you cannot prove it either way, then they obviously didn't follow the handbook on how to clear it - hence the charge to fix it.

If you put petrol oil in your diesel car and destroyed the engine, Seat would charge you as you didn't follow the handbook on which oil to use.... same with not clearing the filter correctly ....... ! simples!

steveyg

CANDY WHITE FR!!
Feb 19, 2008
Hello, no not just another topic on dpf.

Im sitting in my living room waiting for a call from seat....

Yesterday i took my fr derv to the seat dealer (57) due to dpf, all 3 lights were on.
They told me that if the dpf is dead and its not under warranty that i would have to pay for the diagnostics test. 47.95. I werent hapy with that but left it with them and was going to bite the bullet (not without a fight tho). They phoned me around 5.45pm last night and told me that the pressure sensor inside the dpf has gone wrong. And that i dont ned to pay for the part or the diagnostics test as its under warranty. They also had to re-generate the dpf.

Now.. i do have a stage 1 revo remap, that was done by seat in essex (grants-braintree).
I spoke to the lady who re-paired my car and she gave me a little insite to seat.. this is what she said.

"Seat's are good for long journeys but very bad on short journeys especially if it is the dpf model, We had a seat leon in the other month on just 800miles that needed a new dpf and it cost them 1300"

Tell me if im being a TW*T but surely a car is a car and you can drive as much or as little as you like.?? Also what is the point in fitting a dpf?? Its to help not pollute the world but you have to do long journeys for it to work. but yet the goverment's advert on tv is to drive 5miles less a week..... how can you win?? Also they say the dpf is a common fault so why dont they sort it out. Also the dpf is not under warranty, I personally never got told this when i brought my car. It also is not written in my owners manual or any part of documentation i have been given with the car.

Untill seat phoned me up saying that it is all covered under warranty i was going to seek legal advice...The 30mins free legal advice i had thru Citizens Advice Burea said it sounds like i have a very strong case. So if anyone is in this problem of the dpf failure..I certainly recomend thinking about it before spending lots of cash.

They have just called me and said its ready to collect. So im off to collect...wonder how long it will last before the light comes back on. But its getting traded in at the end off the month. never will i buy a seat again. I personally think there after sales care is crap. After if i cant drive a car as little as i need then it seems a waste of time.....

Matt

Hey there can remember when i picked my brand new leon up last yr, i had the car for 250miles and i had all 3 lights on straight away, as you can imagin i was not pleased, hence the dpf-delete... and no porblems now!! fantastic motor!!

MATT'88

Selling Leon 170 TDI
Oct 19, 2008
ESSEX
hold on - you moan about the dpf and short journeys and are already to get on you high horse and go to court blah blah - but then in the same rant you state you have stage 1 revo (i.e. something that is NOT manuafacuter approved and that WILL increase soot and therefore block the filter quicker)

Your a nutter - really truthfully a nutter.

RE: 800 mile car - yeah if it *was* true and you cannot prove it either way, then they obviously didn't follow the handbook on how to clear it - hence the charge to fix it.

If you put petrol oil in your diesel car and destroyed the engine, Seat would charge you as you didn't follow the handbook on which oil to use.... same with not clearing the filter correctly ....... ! simples!

lol the oil is abit different mate.
Praps i forgot to mention that the 1st light was on for 1week then in the space of 3miles the other two lights come on. which after that you got no chance as its in limp mode.

the revo was installed by SEAT. SEAT also sell a SEAT LEON FR REVO from new....still not manurfacture aproved???

I dont think there is any PROOF that the remap causes harm to the dpf, only driving slow or low mile journey.

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
lol the oil is abit different mate.
Praps i forgot to mention that the 1st light was on for 1week then in the space of 3miles the other two lights come on. which after that you got no chance as its in limp mode.

So you ignored the light for a week - failed to do what it said in the book - yet its Seat's fault (Nutter point +1)

the revo was installed by SEAT. SEAT also sell a SEAT LEON FR REVO from new....still not manurfacture aproved???
No, the Revo was installed at a dealer - not Seat .. a dealer completely different (nutter point +1)

I dont think there is any PROOF that the remap causes harm to the dpf, only driving slow or low mile journey.
Ever seen a non DPF diesel remapped??? anything obvious stand out at you??? like all the EXTRA SOOT! - and exactly what does the DPF do? ... Again - the DPF would have been designed around its manufacture designed soot level - not the additional heightened levels.

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
DPF sensor gone on mine last friday, took car in on monday done buy 1.30 pm never even talked about any charges just had to sign when picked car up.
was thinking about having mine remaped but was told by revo dealer no longer able to do the 170 dpf as to many problums after a remap, so your car problums could be down to having a revo remap.,
I sure some people have had no problums after a revo but its strange no longer will do a 170 pdf remap.

Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
Had this prob a few months back.DPF lite on followed by the other 2.LIMP MODE.Took in to rustys seat at scunthorpe and they said it was a sensor prob.They did it under warranty no worries.Said the dpf took some clearing tho.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2009
Hereford
Reading all these posts I am quite shocked that so many of you have said what you have,
My fr has bluefin still with DPF, only ever had light on once, but a short bast out of town and light went off, I do stop start driving every day 3 miles to work, I work for bmw and we never have any faults with sensors or the dpf unit itself, the seat one is just a poorly designed system end of story,

If the sensor fails then the 1st light comes on right, (you dont know the sensor has failed right)
So go do what it says in the BOOK right, drive over 60kph and keep the revs around and above 2k right,

The car then goes into limp home mode while you trying to re gen right,

Oh DPF blocked says seat we are not going to pay seat says, should have done what it says in the BOOK says seat,

WHO'S FAULT IS THAT YOURS (THE DRIVER FOR DOING WHAT IT SAYS IN THE BOOK) OR THE CAR????????

Seat know its a crap system hence why they have changed it, :clap:

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
The more problems occur the better the alternative options will get, but interesting that REVO won't even be going down the deDPF route, although many others do.

Can't believe the OP ranting on about Seat then clearly stating he did nothing about the problem for a week! As said many times before if you do short journeys and low miles why the **** did you buy a diesel, do some research and buy a small petrol, much more fun reving round town and more economical too!

The DPF issues, warranty etc were made clear to me at Liverpool SEAT when i bought my car

Ditto when I bought mine at Willoughby's, Nottingham. Sales person told me all about the possible probs and asked me to read the SEAT DPF leaflet before committing myself to the deal. Said she recommends the petrol FR to anyone who does regular short journeys (under 10 - 15 miles) or who intends to use it around town / stop-start / heavy, slow traffic.

SpursMadDave said:
As said many times before if you do short journeys and low miles why the **** did you buy a diesel, do some research and buy a small petrol, much more fun reving round town and more economical too!

Right on, brother! :clap:

It still amazes me that some folks brag on here about only doing 3 miles to work everyday - but never having any problems with their TDI or DPF...

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
On my 2nd car with a DPF and not had any issues with either, I do once warm make sure they both have a spirited drive if they have only done short journeys for a week.

I do now have a nice drive from Derby to East Leake in Nott's down some nice twisty 60mph backroads at least once a week. The Caddy hates twisties but will be real fun in the forthcoming FR TDi keep and I am sure keep the DPF clear :)

Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
The DPF issues, warranty etc were made clear to me at Liverpool SEAT when i bought my car

Same.. Before I drove away one of the guys down there sat in the car with me and went through everything from sorting my phone into the BT to the DPF and what to do if it clogs up! :)

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Ive been working on the DPF cars since their introduction.

Number of cars with an actual blocked DPF = 0

What tends to happen for various reasons the engine ecu thinks the DPF is blocked. Problem is the Guided Fault Finding that VAG insist we adhere to quite often fails the DPF as blocked.

There are several different revisions of G450 the pressure differential sensor and software has been optimised and recently the ones I have fixed have stayed that way. Had a few air mass meter problems that stops the regen process as it cant monitor the air mass properly (didnt however show an engine management fault for this).

Also worth pointing out VW recalled the Golf for he pressure sensor and map issues. Forced regen has to be carried out after replacing the sensor and doing the remap, best to get down as low as possible, they say 15 percent saturation is acceptable but I usually take it down to zero to be sure.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members