Driving Modes

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
Finally, some snow and a chance to try out another driving mode! However, I've noticed something slightly weird. If I change the driving mode to Snow and then park up the car, when I come back in starts in Sports mode. This can't be right surely?

Mar 17, 2020
Is yours still doing this?

Picked mine up today and it does the same.
Turn off in individual and then starts up in something different.

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
Only noticed it when I was using Snow mode (one day!). I usually stop in Comfort or Sport and it seems to stay in those OK.

Terry99

Aug 2, 2019
Silsden, West Yorkshire
Yes. It appears that it doesn’t retain the mode setting when the ignition is switched off. I have now made it a routine action to switch back to Comfort and then switch back to Individual whenever I start the engine.

Tell

Staff member
On the standard Ateca the first models in 2016 retained ECO mode but subsequently they changed that to revert to normal mode in later models. I put that down to the concern that TDI drivers were driving around in ECO and passive SCR wasn't kicking as it should which then created more active cycles and the chance they dont complete correctly if you do short distances and keep doing it !. Use to warn TDI drivers with SCR (TDI 2.0 at launch) to keep out of ECO. Possible one design fits all thing so petrol models stopped retaining the drive mode setting after turning off.

Landofsnow

Sep 6, 2020
I just ordered the car. Just wondering. Do you need to stop the car before you switch the driving mode?
Will it damage any parts if you switch the mode while driving?

Tell

Staff member
;) We don't get much but it's there when you need it. That worked well, no skidding then clicking back to normal on clear road. Don't have an Ateca Cupra, keep mine in normal mode, plenty of power without using sport, eco isn't good for the diesel SCR which you havent got on petrol (increases the active regeneration which may not complete with the diesel product going back into the engine so your oil level goes up if that happens too often :rolleyes:)... very weird driving in eco in any case free wheels in a DSG down hill. Dont bother with, just the 4Drive setting for snow when required and normal. Those sports modes for youngsters and Cupra drivers.

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
I can't disagree with you on that one! ;)
I can! On the Cupra the driving modes adjust the suspension as well as the engine mode. I tend to click mine into sport for the roads near my office which are windy country lanes. Otherwise things can tend to get a bit wallowy. Cupra mode stiffens it up even more to the extent that you'll probably need a chiropractor at the end of your journey (if you live in the UK).

Tell

Staff member
The 2016 Ateca's didn't have fancy suspension else I would have had it. Was promised in the Spanish brochures, they were looking for litigation after. Never promised in UK sales at the time. DCC. The Spanish Ateca board tried to insight the Brits in their grievances :unsure: (Handyman et al). Probably still keep it in normal thou :eek:.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.