Drove on a flat tyre...

cw13666

Jan 13, 2013
Cardiff
I must have gone 50 meters maximum before stopped off and put the spare on.
Went to national tires cause of the free puncture repair and they said i need a new tyre.

Are they just trying to get me to buy new tires or could it be destroyed in that short a distance??

:(

Fishy

May 16, 2005
The tread goes out the the sidewalls. If its on the first block most will refuse to fix it.

Fish

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
usually if you have driven it flat on low profile tyres it weakens the tyre wall and will need replacing. However I am no expert...

jazza fr

Apr 4, 2012
Ireland
All depends on the inside of the tyre wall, if your running on low profiles these dont take much punishment at all when driven flat and the inside wall gets torn. Take it for a 2nd opinion elsewhere to be sure would be my advice.

Mark D

Apr 5, 2013
Leicester
If the puncture was on the centre 75% of the tyre it is repairable dependant on how big the puncture is. If it was run flat there will be lots of shredding in the tyre itself showing it has trashed the side walls. Also find wear on the tyre wall itself, removing the side wall markings, indicating its had it.

A few pics of the tyre, puncture and insides if possible would help....

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
It is possible to trash a tyre by driving on it flat for just a few hundred yards.

Pics needed of the puncture location and sidewall damage from driving on it to be able to give an opinion.

Hugo Nebula

Dec 7, 2007
Manchester
Not an unknown experience. The default position is always to say the tyre is trashed & to try and flog you a new one (or two, or four, or five). It's happened to me; the only place open was a National Tyre place. Thankfully I took it to a local reputable tyre fitter (Dave Sheldons in Salford if you're asking), who was able to repair it for >£100 less than a replacement.

IME (as a motorist only), if you've run a tyre fully flat for a few hundred yards, the rim can scrub up the inside of the tyre. This happened to me once and the inside of the tyre was filled with 'crumbs' of rubber.

OTOH, a tyre with a puncture in the tread part can usually be repaired unless its a gash.

Did they show you the tyre off the wheel?

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
The problem with running on a flat tyre is the damage you can't see, it fairly busts up the wires in side the rubber causing weak spots etc. You can look at it and it looks perfect but you can be travelling along at 70 and it can just blow out which isn't good.

Noel<>leoN

Oct 5, 2007
How much tread is on the punctured tyre- is it worth repairing? Unless its pretty new (maybe >5mm tread depth left) then just get a new one.

Let's say it costs 150 quid for a new one, and 75 quid for a repair. If its in the second half of its life you actually lose out by repairing it- you're paying more than the rest of the tyre is worth.

Even if its just still in the first half of its life, you have to question whether its better to just have a new one and not worry whether its going to blow up at motorway speeds some time.

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
I've only ever paid £15 for a puncture repair, if a garage turned round and said £75 I think I'd have a hard time controlling my laughter!

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
How much tread is on the punctured tyre- is it worth repairing? Unless its pretty new (maybe >5mm tread depth left) then just get a new one.

Let's say it costs 150 quid for a new one, and 75 quid for a repair. If its in the second half of its life you actually lose out by repairing it- you're paying more than the rest of the tyre is worth.

Even if its just still in the first half of its life, you have to question whether its better to just have a new one and not worry whether its going to blow up at motorway speeds some time.

£75 to repair a puncture? :rofl:

A lot of places will repair a puncture for free if you leave it with them to do when they're not busy.

£10-£15 normally.

*puncher* FLOL.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise