Dsg 0-60

Robdrums

"Bitchtits"
Feb 18, 2006
Surrey
What mode do you reckon the manufacturer's quoted 0-60 times were achieved in, Drive (Auto), Sport or Manual?

Whichever mode it's in, how could the manual mode be the same or slower than the actual manual version of the car, not having gearchange times to slow it down? To me it feels much faster, do they slip the clutch somehow to achieve 0-60 times in manual cars? I know you'd need to be The Stig to get most of them.

Rob

Al

Aug 29, 2005
What mode do you reckon the manufacturer's quoted 0-60 times were achieved in, Drive (Auto), Sport or Manual?

Whichever mode it's in, how could the manual mode be the same or slower than the actual manual version of the car, not having gearchange times to slow it down? To me it feels much faster, do they slip the clutch somehow to achieve 0-60 times in manual cars? I know you'd need to be The Stig to get most of them.

Rob

You wouldnt let it creep off the line if you were trying to get off the line in a hurry, but you wouldnt ping the clutch either or you would get wheel spin. You do ride the clutch a little to avoid missing the turbo, but not enough to light up the tyres, induce axle tramp etc.

No idea about the DSG TFSi, but the Cupra can do 60 in about 6 secs.

SEATcarsdirect.co.uk

how could the manual mode be the same or slower than the actual manual version of the car, not having gearchange times to slow it down? To me it feels much faster, do they slip the clutch somehow to achieve 0-60 times in manual cars? I know you'd need to be The Stig to get most of them.

Rob

The 0-60 times are

Manual 7.3

DSG 7.2

dsg is quicker 0-60 as it can change gear quicker than you can manually

Irfan

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales

Rob

To get the best best 0-60 times you need to use the Launch Control.

Robdrums

"Bitchtits"
Feb 18, 2006
Surrey
I was thinking mainly about the TDi, which actually quotes the same 0-60 time on both versions.

But which of the three modes do we reckon is quickest? Auto Sport?

Rob

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
Remembering a few road tests in Volkswagen Driver magazine, Neil Birkitt the editor has often said that DSG is the best box for your average driver but a manual will always be better for a keen driver or trackday enthusiast as the DSG will sometimes 'wrongly' select a gear when the driver is setting the car up for a fast corner.
To get the best 0-60 in a manual car a road tester will rev it high, side step the clutch and won't use the clutch for gearchanges upto the 60 mark.
In a DSG it should accelerate the quickest using launch control and Sport I would assume. Automatic will probably be the most 'efficient' setting (driver comfort and economy), but I've been wrong before..........

flakmunky

Olympic Knitting Champion
Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
Robdrums,

On the TFSI, without using launch control it doesn't matter whether you are in manual, sport or drive as the car will automatically change up at the maximum rpm, 7500rpm (I think).

Don't know whether the oiler is different... Try it in each mode - floor it and see at what rpm it changes. I would have thought that with an oiler the gear change would come earlier than the redline as your max torque band (from memory based on my Golf MkV 2.0GTTDI) is about 2500-3500 rpm and the redline is 4500rpm, so surely there would be little point in holding the gear to the redline?

fM

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.