Dual mass to single mass flywheel conversion on Leon 2.0 tdi

Sez7

Jun 28, 2022
Derbyshire
So I'm going to need a new flywheel on my Leon which uses a dual-mass flywheel as standard.

Has anyone converted to a single mass flywheel?

After a bit of research it looks like it can improve performance and is cheaper but at the cost of comfort.

Thanks!

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Might be worth having a look across the other VAG forums too. Recall many doing this on the Octavia Mk3 on the Briskoda forum.

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
I've seen vids of SMF converted cars on youtube, they sound terrible. It's not something I would want.

Also the DMF protects the transmission and drivetrain from the vibrations from the engine. Remove the DMF and those stresses will now be acting on some other component that wasn't designed for it.

You save money on the flywheel but potentially break something else further down the road.

as above i'd look across other VW group forums and see if you can find anybody who's made the change and is happy with it.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
If you are going for big turbo / big power a smf is a no brainer.

However if your car is mildly mapped / stock you really want to retain the dmf.

The chatter you get from an smf is astronomical.

Everytime i went for new tyres or an mot the garage would always tell me my gearbox was about to break 🤣

I just smiled.

Personally i love an SMF but it is only for you if you are hardcore

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I've seen vids of SMF converted cars on youtube, they sound terrible. It's not something I would want.

Also the DMF protects the transmission and drivetrain from the vibrations from the engine. Remove the DMF and those stresses will now be acting on some other component that wasn't designed for it.

You save money on the flywheel but potentially break something else further down the road.

as above i'd look across other VW group forums and see if you can find anybody who's made the change and is happy with it.
Exactly this☝️
Only experience I have is a mate who changed to an SMF on his Saab 9-3 Aero and he regretted it and wished he went DMF, NVH was terrible.
On a road car I would stick with DMF as designed.

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
So I'm going to need a new flywheel on my Leon which uses a dual-mass flywheel as standard.

Has anyone converted to a single mass flywheel?

After a bit of research it looks like it can improve performance and is cheaper but at the cost of comfort.

Thanks!
Question.
Why do you need a dual mass flywheel, who diagnosed it and whats the issue.
If your changing the flywheel your going to need a clutch kit also.
A dual mass flywheel will be around £300 for your 2.0tdi so not mega money.

Sez7

Jun 28, 2022
Derbyshire
Question.
It's making an occasional knocking/rattling sound, some days are better than others.

The mechanic had a listen and said it's most likely the flywheel. I was quoted by the same garage about £1050 or £950 using a SMF conversion. Both with clutch kit.

After a bit more research and reading the replies, think I'll stick with a DMF. The issue is I think the car has been previously remapped and maybe that's shortened the life of the DMF (I understand they don't like high torque)? Then again, it could have just been abused with burnouts judging by the car's history!

Reactions: adam davies

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Question.
The genuine 240mmLUK DMF for the 184tdi CUPA/CUNA is part number 03L105266DJ which is listed at £704.61 😭
though is £379.55 on https://www.deutsche-parts.co.uk/flywheel-03l105266dj-new-genuine-part.html
The 150 and lower have different clutches/DMF's so above is only 184tdi.

Reactions: Sez7

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
It's making an occasional knocking/rattling sound, some days are better than others.

The mechanic had a listen and said it's most likely the flywheel. I was quoted by the same garage about £1050 or £950 using a SMF conversion. Both with clutch kit.

After a bit more research and reading the replies, think I'll stick with a DMF. The issue is I think the car has been previously remapped and maybe that's shortened the life of the DMF (I understand they don't like high torque)? Then again, it could have just been abused with burnouts judging by the car's history!
High torque from low rpm is what they don't like.

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
So many variants between same model cars best to ring darkside.

I think spending upto 1800 pounds fitted on a clutch and dmf for a daily drive diesel is a bit over the top/budget imo better of sticking to the standard one lets face it, it is going to last for the amount of time you will own the car for. Sorry to sound like a debbie downer 🤣

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
The old 1.9PD diesel engine was great with a solid flywheel conversion - my own Octavia was converted over 10 years ago and is as good today as it was the day it was converted. But that's with the 5 speed gearbox.
The 2.0 TDI with the 6 speed gearbox was a different ketle of fish, and a solid flywheel conversion did not work successfully.

As far as the newer CR engines go, the 1.6TDI is good with a conversion (and some have a factory fit solid flywheel), but again with the 2.0CR, a solid flywheel conversion will not be a success

Reactions: SuperV8 and Sez7
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.