DVD/MP3 Head Unit. Are there any?

BGeeves

Apr 16, 2004
Hi, I currently have an MP3/CD head unit and have all my music on CD's in MP3 format. To cut down on the 20+ CD's in my car, is there a head unit out there that plays DVD's but only for MP3 purpose. I'm thinking I can get quite a few albums on a 4.7gb disc. All I can find are one's that play DVD films and have screens, which I'm not interested in.

Also, I may go down the SD card slot (possibly get a 2gb+ card), if so could someone recommend a head unit which must have Bluetooth and an SD card slot?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Have you looked at 'Phatbox's ?

AFAIK only Blaupunkt and Panasonic do SD headunits .... but Maplins now sell a nifty little SD card playing audio-cassette adapter (if you trade in/down for a tape player that is) :p

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Most major manufactuers do this and have done for some time. But the brand that offers it in the most head units is JVC.

What's your budget? The JVC AVX33 does everything you ask, and much more, but you'll pay for it.....

BGeeves

Apr 16, 2004
Budget is £200 -£300.

When you say most manufacturers, do you mean they do the DVD/MP3 or Bluetooth/SD head units? As I can't seem to find any DVD/MP3 head units anywhere.

Baz1

Dec 6, 2004
Leicester
Agree with Rob about the JVC AVX33 - cracking unit. My last 3 units have all been JVC and theyre excellent.

They allow you to copy mp3s onto a DVD disc and the unit will read it from the DVD. Simple. I had about 5 or 6 DVDs in the car with all my music.

Previous models JVC AVX1 and AVX2 - also play mp3s on DVD.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Budget is £200 -£300.

When you say most manufacturers, do you mean they do the DVD/MP3 or Bluetooth/SD head units? As I can't seem to find any DVD/MP3 head units anywhere.

I mean the DVD MP3 part. And you're obviously not looking hard enough ;)
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/dvd-players-c-760.html?cadid=f5019122744eb72fbfc2d547f3372f45

Avoid the Beat one from that link, it's shockingly bad, but the rest are very good so there should be something to suit your budget there. The AVX33 is the cheapest one that does everything you want (no SD though, not that you need it with this as it has USB support) and costs £360.

If you can do without the Bluetooth, the AVX2 is right in your budget and is a very, very good unit :yes:

BGeeves

Apr 16, 2004
Now I know what to search for I've found loads :redface:

What about the JVC-KDBT1? I'm really interested in this due to the USB/Bluetooth.

I may have to start a new thread for this as this question is very specific, but here goes...

I have a Nokia N95 and have the GPS within the phone enabled when driving. I currently have a Parrot 3100 bluetooth connected to the phone and head unit which plays the GPS voice comands through the car speakers whilst the bluetooth device automatically mutes the radio/cd etc. So I need to know if the JVC-KDBT1 or AVX33 will do this aswell?

Agian, any help would be great.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
That's a nice unit, but I'm not 100% sure what the compatibility is like with your N95, so it might be worth emailing JVC customer support before buying.

That aside, it's a damn good unit. One of the few Bluetooth devices that can handle text messages as well as phone calls! The phone book isn't as good as your Parrot, as it doesn't display multiple numbers per contact (at least, the early version of it I installed didn't) but it's still easy and quick to use.

That one doesn't play MP3 DVD's though, it's CD only. And if I'm being honest, I think the Bluetooth side of things isn't yet able to compete with a Parrot kit. It's good, but not Parrot good. The next generation of JVC Bluetooth devices will be able to compete.

Mk3 Biza

JVC do a DVD/MP3 Unit its a DV202 i think. this will play your mp3s on dvds and its roughley about £150 - £200. as for the bluetooth id probably stick with the parrot kit. After fitting quite a lot of these its a great piece of kit! hope this helps

BGeeves

Apr 16, 2004
Decided to go for the KD-BT1 in the end, mainly due to the huge array of Bluetooth profiles it supports (same as my N95) and price. Should have it on Tuesday, so thanks to everyone for the help and advice. :)

Just need to find a USB hard drive now for the music...

BGeeves

Apr 16, 2004
It won't accept a card reader, already thought of that one ;)

I've got a 2gb card in my N95, so I can stream music to the unit, and control the playlist, which is the trouble with some aux inputs, or most, is that you can't control the device directly. But I don't think the quality of music from streaming over Bluetooth would be very good, I don't know.

I've seen a 60gb USB hdd for £35.00, and it's tiny, so I'm sure this is the best route for me.

Anyway, it arrived today so I'll stick it in and see what it's like.

dramosuk

I just got a JVC that plays DVD's. But to get it to work you have to hook it up to the hand brake. The guy at Halfords said he couldnt do it. Is there any instructions or is there a way to bypass that feature. Not that i would watch when driving. Just so i can get around having to go to a garage and getting it done.

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
Oxfordshire :)
www.bebo.com
no idea but there should be or there should be another way... like how does the jvc hu know the signal is coming from the handbreak and not somethink else? to by-pass the handbreak thing...

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Check the manual. It'll either need a 12v supply, or a negative ground

Most likely the latter, in which case just screw the wire into one of the bolts behind the dash

dramosuk

Thanks for the reply. Will give it ago. I was stuck in traffic on M25 today and had hand break on for 15 mins. The DVD would have come in handy then. :c(

Phil_beeza

May 15, 2007
do kenwood do anything like this?

ive been wanting a dvd data mp3 player for a bit for the same reason.

my kenwood KDM6021G does the (cd) job fine

the other option is a 60gb ipod with an itrip

spidermonkey

Have a look at Blaupunkt. They do some great head units. Mine has Bluetooth (albeit with a optional controller) to stream music from my mobile and an MMC/SD slot for using MP3/WMA files.

They do the 'Las Vegas' unit which is just about all formats compatible including DVD....

http://www.blaupunkt.com/uk/7645650310_main.asp