Easy way to change the cooling radiator?

Sep 13, 2022
Hello, I am new here... I am a spanish latinamerican speaker (so my english might be strange) I have a Seat Leon FR 2009 (mk2). I have fixed several "easy" things like electric locks, window mechanism cables and pulley, roof window draining tubes, trunk door lock. Some problems with the ABS module...

But now I got a really hard one... the cooling radiator seems to have a little puncture just near the right fan cable that touches the radiator aluminium grid... seems that after so many years of touching it it punctured it. So now I got an small leak that takes about a week or two to get me to the point where I got a warning about low cooling liquid level.

I saw a video from an spanish guy that takes out the radiator... here but involves taking out the bumper, the front lights, the whole plastic front... so if anyone had been in my situation and might give me some hints I would be happy to hear!

Is it possible to just unplug the cooling radiator and taking it out just like lifting it up? without messing with the intercooler radiator and AC radiator?

Thanks for reading and any hint/clue you can give :geek:

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Hi mate yes you will be able to remove the radiator without de-gassing the AC it just unbolts with 4 screws and you can lift it out.
Hope this makes sense friend. 👍

Reactions: sebadamus
Sep 13, 2022
Thanks 300bhpdaily! it make sense, but... do you know if I can just lift off the radiator unbolting those 4 screews and radiator tubes?

I mean, do I need to take out the plastic front, bumper, lights... everything as shown in the video? is that easy?

I just need to change the cooling radiator (not the AC, not the intercooler) and as far as I could research this will need to dismantle a lot!

Thanks for your response! [B)]

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Make sure you inspect the intercooler thoroughly, if there's any sign of oily residue on the fins it could be a sign it's got a small leak.

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Thanks 300bhpdaily! it make sense, but... do you know if I can just lift off the radiator unbolting those 4 screews and radiator tubes?

I mean, do I need to take out the plastic front, bumper, lights... everything as shown in the video? is that easy?

I just need to change the cooling radiator (not the AC, not the intercooler) and as far as I could research this will need to dismantle a lot!

Thanks for your response! [B)]
Hi mate sorry for the late reply to be honest I’ve only ever removed the rad by taking the front end off the car I don’t think it’s possible to do it otherwise. Unless someone else on here has done otherwise.

Sep 13, 2022
Hi mate sorry for the late reply to be honest I’ve only ever removed the rad by taking the front end off the car I don’t think it’s possible to do it otherwise. Unless someone else on here has done otherwise.
Thanks! yes I think it will take lot of work to do it... if I find any other info, I will post back.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise