Effects on DSG after tune

blind37

Jun 16, 2015
Hello everyone!

I'm looking to remap my leon which is the 1.8 tsi, and I've read that the dsg that I have (the DQ200) has a 250 torque limit.

How is it affected after an apr tune to stage 1? I'm kind of new to remapping etc.. and I don't really want to do something that could break my car :confused:

Last edited:

PHILMEWAGON

Long member
Apr 4, 2013
Boro
I've looked into this. Lots.

Several places will tune your DSG car but no one will say how likely it is to fubar your clutch.

I've seen them successfully tuned up to 370nm.

When I spoke to APR they said they could tune the car to 'within safe limits.'

In the end I decided to leave it. Until someone can say 'this map will shorten your 400,000km clutch lifespan by roughly x%' I'm not interested.

blind37

Jun 16, 2015
I've looked into this. Lots.

Several places will tune your DSG car but no one will say how likely it is to fubar your clutch.

I've seen them successfully tuned up to 370nm.

When I spoke to APR they said they could tune the car to 'within safe limits.'

In the end I decided to leave it. Until someone can say 'this map will shorten your 400,000km clutch lifespan by roughly x%' I'm not interested.

Yeah I've searched a lot and asked a lot but no one seems to have a real answer.

I have some friends who tuned theirs to stage 1 and even to stage 2 and no one seems to have any issues so far.

The thing that I'm concerned about is longitivtiy. I just can't trust 'within safe limits' I guess :blink:

DANFR180

Feb 8, 2016
I don't think anyone would guarantee the dsg box would be okay past the 250 limit, why would they? its always going to be a risk

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I think DSG is going to break at some point anyway, so why not do a remap and enjoy as long as you can.
Our company cars has had many DSG failures and they are not mapped, just this week one of our 2014 Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI broke its DSG after 32k kilometers and new gb is needed.
This year i remember two other DSG failures, one for 2012 Audi 2.0TDi and one for Leon 1.4TSi.

Stegor

Jul 17, 2011
I think DSG is going to break at some point anyway, so why not do a remap and enjoy as long as you can.
Our company cars has had many DSG failures and they are not mapped, just this week one of our 2014 Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI broke its DSG after 32k kilometers and new gb is needed.
This year i remember two other DSG failures, one for 2012 Audi 2.0TDi and one for Leon 1.4TSi.

What are you doing with them? Towing trucks?

blind37

Jun 16, 2015

That sounds weird, your company must be doing something wrong with these cars :p

I just don't get it why would Seat produce a car with 250nm and use a DSG that is limited to 250 :confused:

I guess I'm going to leave it as is for the time being.

Last edited:

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
??
We have over 21000 leasing cars.
DSG/S tronic are just rubbish, we have to keep them coz your customers wants them,
but more than 50% of all those cars with dsg have had a gb failure.

Just checked the date, making sure it's not the 1st of April ;)

But seriously are you seriously saying that just over 5000 of your company's car's with dsg are having gearbox failure :blink:

I know audi had lots of issues with their stronic box or whatever it was called a few years back, it's well documented on audi forums, but can't say I've heard of many dsg box failures.
Quite a few on this very forum are dsg owners but a quick search doesn't bring up any failures

Who's picking up the tab for these repairs, I'm quessing VAG or a warranty company , as you would have to be a extremely large company to wear that many gearbox replacements and not go bankrupt.

What have VAG said about all these DSG gearboxes failing, as sound like your company alone has more gearbox failures than all the rest of VAG'S dsg equipped cars worldwide put together

As a side, surely all these people have got to be seriously abusing these gearboxes or topping them with sand or something instead of oil

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
I had a mechatronic fault on my Octavia with DSG, as did two of my colleagues at work. Luckily mine was covered under warranty but both colleagues ended up with a ~ £1500 bill on their Audi A3's. These were 2005, 2006 and 2007 models and mechatronic faults were rife according to the Skoda dealer that sorted my Octavia. They even advised me to get rid once it was out of warranty!

Apparently they are more reliable now but check online and you'll see it's still a common occurrence. I love the DSG gearbox but I'm not sure I'd risk owning another one based on my previous experience.

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Just checked the date, making sure it's not the 1st of April ;)

But seriously are you seriously saying that just over 5000 of your company's car's with dsg are having gearbox failure :blink:

I know audi had lots of issues with their stronic box or whatever it was called a few years back, it's well documented on audi forums, but can't say I've heard of many dsg box failures.
Quite a few on this very forum are dsg owners but a quick search doesn't bring up any failures

Who's picking up the tab for these repairs, I'm quessing VAG or a warranty company , as you would have to be a extremely large company to wear that many gearbox replacements and not go bankrupt.

What have VAG said about all these DSG gearboxes failing, as sound like your company alone has more gearbox failures than all the rest of VAG'S dsg equipped cars worldwide put together

As a side, surely all these people have got to be seriously abusing these gearboxes or topping them with sand or something instead of oil

Yes, more than 50% of our dsg/s-tronics has had a failure.
But no, the 21k cars are not all VAG cars, but we have plenty of them.
Best selling business cars comes from VAG.
First two years are covered by warranty and 3rd and 4th year before we sell them out are partly covered by goodwill and rest of the are paid by us.

And no, i do not believe user errors in these cases.
Cars are serviced by the as they should.

Last edited: