EGR delete and remap

Aug 11, 2019
Hi all, I've decided to get my EGR deleted; my 1.6 tdi keeps going into limp mode, and the garage said it's because my EGR is blocked. Parts and labour to replace the EGR are around £500, but a delete is £270.

The cost of the delete also includes a remap. It's not something I particularly want, but apparently it's necessary, otherwise the EML comes on and can cause the car to go into limp mode. The extra torque from the remap can also cause problems with the clutch, if I'm correct?

So my question is, do I really need a remap that increases bhp? Could the EGR delete be done with a software update that prevents the EML coming on, without having to remap to 130bhp?

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Yea, usually they'll be an Eco map on offer, just small tweaks and not loads more power.

What are you going to do come MOT time, when you fail for having the EGR removed?

Aug 11, 2019
Yea, usually they'll be an Eco map on offer, just small tweaks and not loads more power.

What are you going to do come MOT time, when you fail for having the EGR removed?
Thanks for the reply. It's my understanding that removing an EGR isn't an automatic MOT failure, it's only if emissions are significantly increased. Also, I'm having it blanked rather than removed, I should have made that clearer.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Nope it's a straight fail if it's been tampered with in any way.

The inspection is visual only, so you need to be very clear what is going to be done to it. If it's clear for the MOT inspector to see someone has tampered with it, you won't pass.

mot.jpg

Aug 11, 2019

The inspection is visual only, so you need to be very clear what is going to be done to it. If it's clear for the MOT inspector to see someone has tampered with it, you won't pass.

View attachment 38306
Ah, fair enough, might chat to my garage about it. It's really difficult to see the EGR on the CAYC, appears to be underneath at the rear.

LeonDan83

Oct 11, 2023
It’s dangerous to delete without gutting the DPF as it fills with excessive soot and can cause fire, beware 😞

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom

View attachment 38306
That's what blanking plates are for. Just looks like a regular gasket from the outside.

LeonDan83

Oct 11, 2023
But your right you can’t see when there’s a plate there, it will kill the DPF that’s all and dangerous

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
But your right you can’t see when there’s a plate there, it will kill the DPF that’s all and dangerous
Depends on the map and the car. Had 50k trouble free miles in my Insignia with the EGR fully blanked off. Definitely something to consder though - it can definitely be an issue.

LeonDan83

Oct 11, 2023
Fair play but I wouldn’t risk it, I knew someone who had a Pd Leon and would re gen every other week finally buggering the DPF as you will only get limited re gens. I ended up cutting it open gutting it then had both mapped out

Reactions: Alex667

LeonDan83

Oct 11, 2023
Also if you have vcds you can see how your soot levels are, the danger is if you have excessive soot and the vehicle starts a re gen all the soot is burnt out causing extreme heat even worse sets on fire