Egr sensor codes p046c and p0407

Apr 1, 2023
Hi all,
Mk2 Leon 1.6tdi CAYC engine
New to the forums looking for some help.
Car started going into limp mode earlier this week, put my Bluetooth scanner on it and brought up a P046, coil light will flash along with going into limp mode, been checking/clearing code daily, today the issue seems to be even worse, used to be able to key the car off and on whilst driving and would clear and be ok for a while however now comes back almost immediately , almost makes the car undrivable.

Did a solenoid test with an autel scan tool at college, all seemed ok, any other tests I could do before condemning the EGR??, have read previous threads about the EGR on this engine failing, if so will not be replacing with another, will be ordering a delete kit from dark side and getting mapped, local garage near my work offers EGR blank and remap, advice and thoughts appreciated

Thanks all
Attached is a screenshot from bluedriver, I am aware of the p101, as this is from my ramair filter, just hasnt been mapped in yet
Screenshot_20230401-133310.png

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
It could be bunged up, isn't this one located somewhere totally idiotic like right behind the engine?

Just be aware if you delete the EGR you can fail the MOT

Reactions: RxFlow
Apr 1, 2023
It could be bunged up, isn't this one located somewhere totally idiotic like right behind the engine?

Thanks, I understand about the MOT part as I work in a garage as an apprentice. As for the location of the EGR I'm not sure, I thought I read somewhere on another thread that it was located at the front of the engine right before the intake manifold, had a look with no obvious signs of failure, tried unplugging the connector and test drove however still brought up the same codes, from what I have read it is fairly common for these EGR to get bunged up or the electromagnet in the motor to fail internally, either way I think it's time for it to be gone.

Local garage offers blank and remap, so might look into them as I have spoken to a few people who have used them and only had positive things to say about them, shouldn't fail MOT providing remap is of good quality and smoke opacity test goes through , had an MOT in Feb and passed with a zero on the opacity test, given that not surprised as it is an eco model

Thanks

Apr 1, 2023

Just had another look on the google box, turns out you're right, at the back of the engine, buried by a driveshaft, turbo feed and return oil lines, a dpf and god knows what else, seen that book time if something daft like 6+ hours, bigger job than i'd hoped really.... fml

EDIT: Turns out what I was looking at was some sort of air flap/ASV?? Some actuator/valve just before the intake manifold.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Yea bolted to the intake manifold you've got the Anti-Shudder Valve or ASV (some people call this the throttle body)

On the earlier engines the EGR valve was bolted right onto the ASV, so removal and cleaning was pretty simple. For some reason they decided to relocate the EGR round the back of the engine, making cleaning a total nightmare.

They knew full well that EGR valves get clogged up and require periodic cleaning, but they did it anyway.

My 2.0 tdi is an early CR engine, it still has the EGR round the front, I had it off a few years ago to clean it out. This was about 110,000 miles (ish)

IMG_20191109_120735.jpg

IMG_20191109_132019.jpg

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Just had another look on the google box, turns out you're right, at the back of the engine, buried by a driveshaft, turbo feed and return oil lines, a dpf and god knows what else, seen that book time if something daft like 6+ hours, bigger job than i'd hoped really.... fml

Given the book time being mental, I wouldn't take the chance that cleaning it will solve the problem. Either replace with brand new or go the removal route as you had planned.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Use an endoscope to look down the tubes first. See what it all looks like.
You can get cheap ones for a tenner unless work has a borescope

Apr 1, 2023
Given the book time being mental, I wouldn't take the chance that cleaning it will solve the problem. Either replace with brand new or go the removal route as you had planned.
Thanks, got it booked in for blank and remap on wednesday, hoping it will solve the issue, company seemed fairly confident it will fix my codes, will update when had it done.

Seems the mileage isn't too bad for it's first EGR as i've read the other stories on here with the same engine with EGR's failing at much lower mileages.

Apr 1, 2023
Use an endoscope to look down the tubes first. See what it all looks like.
You can get cheap ones for a tenner unless work has a borescope
Have one at work but would struggle to get chance to do it as they are rather stingy when it comes to workshop use (dealership life I suppose) and cba fighting with them, could stay behind one day but even then I'm obviously not allowed to be in the workshop on my own as I have to be supervised supposedly. Thanks for the reply though

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.