Ehybrid fuel economy

C_ED_99

Jan 27, 2010
Welp, just ran out of battery on the eHybrid. Parked the car up and did an event then had to drive home with no battery.

Fuel economy in "petrol" mode is shocking... instantaneous fuel economy was generally sitting at 35 mpg even in steady state cruising...

Coming from a Mk 3 1.4 150 bhp ACT, I would have thought that the instantaneous fuel economy should be around 70mpg once your up to speed and moving at A road speeds.

Any settings to tweak to improve things?

I'm pretty sure if I'd taken the old motor or the GFs 1.5 TSI Mk4 I would have managed 50mpg, but the hybrid managed 43 mpg indicated

Kaxolo

Dec 23, 2021
If you ran out of battery, the car will try to charge it to at least a 5%, mostly when cruising. So the engine needs to work to move the car and at the same time charge the battery.

The best way I found around was to set a minimum of 20% battery when I´m low on battery and not going home yet. that leaves the car a buffer there to use electric when driving slow and try to charge the battery back to 20% slowly when driving faster. But if you let it go to 1% is going to try to charge the battery back as fast as possible using a lot of petrol for it.

C_ED_99

Jan 27, 2010
Cheers, yes it was at 4% when I got home, though I'm fortunate enough to live at the bottom of a hill, so can normally regen a bit down that.

Reactions: Davehaslanded
Jul 26, 2022
If you ran out of battery, the car will try to charge it to at least a 5%, mostly when cruising. So the engine needs to work to move the car and at the same time charge the battery.

The best way I found around was to set a minimum of 20% battery when I´m low on battery and not going home yet. that leaves the car a buffer there to use electric when driving slow and try to charge the battery back to 20% slowly when driving faster. But if you let it go to 1% is going to try to charge the battery back as fast as possible using a lot of petrol for it.
What’s this witchcraft? Where can you set the minimum battery?!

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Jul 26, 2022
Oh sorry I misunderstood. I thought you meant there was a setting to set it so it never goes below 20%. I constantly manage through that menu. It’s quite tiring.

Davehaslanded

Jan 25, 2017
England
Welp, just ran out of battery on the eHybrid. Parked the car up and did an event then had to drive home with no battery.

Fuel economy in "petrol" mode is shocking... instantaneous fuel economy was generally sitting at 35 mpg even in steady state cruising...

Coming from a Mk 3 1.4 150 bhp ACT, I would have thought that the instantaneous fuel economy should be around 70mpg once your up to speed and moving at A road speeds.

Any settings to tweak to improve things?

I'm pretty sure if I'd taken the old motor or the GFs 1.5 TSI Mk4 I would have managed 50mpg, but the hybrid managed 43 mpg indicated
This is completely opposite to myself. Assuming you're not driving in sport mode? I drove back from holiday few weeks ago. Couldnt charge at destination, so 0% battery (Well 1% as it doesn't go below) and i still got 60mpg. The car will still shut off the engine and 'coast' on EV mode when empty. Plus it will regen going downhill, and use that where it can. I don't think I've ever seen 30mpg.

I would suggest checking the basics, e.g. drive profile, tyre pressures etc. something doesn't seem right there.

Reactions: oldgitdave

C_ED_99

Jan 27, 2010
This is completely opposite to myself. Assuming you're not driving in sport mode? I drove back from holiday few weeks ago. Couldnt charge at destination, so 0% battery (Well 1% as it doesn't go below) and i still got 60mpg. The car will still shut off the engine and 'coast' on EV mode when empty. Plus it will regen going downhill, and use that where it can. I don't think I've ever seen 30mpg.

I would suggest checking the basics, e.g. drive profile, tyre pressures etc. something doesn't seem right there.

That's pretty good with no charge.

I thought the E-hybrid had the same engine as the Mk3 1.4 TSI, but I guess it doesn't have cylinder deactivation?

Davehaslanded

Jan 25, 2017
England
That's pretty good with no charge.

I thought the E-hybrid had the same engine as the Mk3 1.4 TSI, but I guess it doesn't have cylinder deactivation?
Its the same engine, but you are forgetting the amount of regen that the car gets under braking. The car will then use this power at moments of lower power requirement. In fact, in town, even when battery is depleted, the engine hardly activates. The car also shuts off the ICE whenever power isnt needed, such as going down hill. I also don't drive in eco mode. I use Normal, as in tests i found little difference, and i like the power there when i need it.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise