Electrics issue, power steering cuts out dash lights illuminate briefly

Digital Punk

Aug 29, 2020
Midlands
I hope that someone can offer some help and advice.

I noticed about a week ago that the headlights were slightly flickering while the engine was ticking over but things have got gradually worse. A few days ago I noticed that the power steering would occasionally stop working, this happened while driving and stood still, then two days ago the power steering light came on for a few seconds and almost immediately turned off again.

Yesterday after a 30 minute drive the car made the three beep warning sound and a number of lights came on on the dashboard for a split second, I’m not sure exactly what lights as they immediately turned back off, but I had time to notice that one was the traction control light and again the power steering light.

I drove the car again today and all seemed normal for an hour drive until the car seemed to loose all electrical power for probably less than a second - no power steering, the headlights went out, the stereo reset and the dash cam connected to the cigarette lighter stopped working. The car however continued to run.

All I have been able to check tonight is the earth wire from the battery which is absolutely fine.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: sebadamus

Digital Punk

Aug 29, 2020
Midlands
Cheers! I’ve had a look and some of the symptoms are there but I’m having some other problems too, there’s also no dash lights that stay on and no fault code to read so I’m a little stumped at the moment.

Chris78

Oct 5, 2019
Greece
Cheers! I’ve had a look and some of the symptoms are there but I’m having some other problems too, there’s also no dash lights that stay on and no fault code to read so I’m a little stumped at the moment.
It might be a malfunctioning ignition switch also that goes off and on. You must visit a car electrician my friend. Something's wrong for sure! And dangerous also.
Don't wait longer. Just pay a visit now

Digital Punk

Aug 29, 2020
Midlands
It might be a malfunctioning ignition switch also that goes off and on. You must visit a car electrician my friend. Something's wrong for sure! And dangerous also.
Don't wait longer. Just pay a visit now
I’m literally just reading about the ignition switch now, I’m also thinking that the alternator could be the culprit, luckily last night I was less than a mile away from home so I got it safely back on the drive and haven’t moved it since.

I’ve called my local garage this morning but looks like they’re still closed for Christmas. At least it gives me time to give her a good wash and clean.

Chris78

Oct 5, 2019
Greece
If your car battery doesn't drain then its not the alternator because thats the no1 culprit of a failed one. But take my word with a grain of salt. I'm not an electrician.
So wait until the workshops are open and go immediately. Try to not use your car meanwhile. Cheers and have a happy new year pal!

Digital Punk

Aug 29, 2020
Midlands
Yeah, I’m certainly not qualified either! But happy to learn as I go along 😊

I’ve messaged the garage and got it booked in for the 4th so I’ll update once it’s fixed. At least not having to drive means I can have a drink over new year.

Cheers for the advice and happy new year to you too!

Reactions: Chris78

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
I've had exactly this problem and the culprit was a faulty voltage regulator on the alternator allowing the voltage to go too high, and components were shutting down to protect themselves.

If that's the case on yours there will be over-voltage fault codes logged.

Chris78

Oct 5, 2019
Greece
I've had exactly this problem and the culprit was a faulty voltage regulator on the alternator allowing the voltage to go too high, and components were shutting down to protect themselves.

Good to know my friend! That can help many of us to understand more things when something's go wrong! Cheers 👍

Reactions: Digital Punk

Digital Punk

Aug 29, 2020
Midlands

thanks for the info, that makes perfect sense. I’ll hook the scanner up first thing tomorrow to read the codes!

Digital Punk

Aug 29, 2020
Midlands
So finally got round to hooking up my OBD scanner and I can’t get a connection from it, it shows just 2 red lights and flicks to green for a split second. I’ve checked the fuses but all seem to be good.

I tried to get the car booked into the garage yesterday but they’re closed with covid so I’m still none the wiser!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.