Electronic handbrake not releasing on Cupra Ateca

skb

Apr 21, 2019
United Kingdom
Hi folks..I have a facelifted Cupra Ateca and tbh usage has gone down dramatically due to WFH and not being able to do longer journeys too frequently now. I notice that if I dont use my car for a few days and then when I next start it up, put it in D and try driving off; then the E-brake doesnt seem to release completely. I get a loud screeching and knocking sound from the rear which seems as if the car is struggling to move off. And then after a few metres the ebrake seems to release completely and everything is normal, no more issues further in the journey with the ebrake engaging/disengaging. I tried manually disengaging the e-brake by pressing the button before moving off and it seems to be the same when I first start the car in the morning. Seems it gets worse the longer I leave the car idle. Booked in to local dealers to have a look but they dont have availability till the end of April..such fun!

Has anyone faced similar issues or know what might be causing this? I wonder if the rear brake pads are sticking to the wheels?

Thanks!

Tell

Staff member
Hi folks..I have a facelifted Cupra Ateca and tbh usage has gone down dramatically due to WFH and not being able to do longer journeys too frequently now. I notice that if I dont use my car for a few days and then when I next start it up, put it in D and try driving off; then the E-brake doesnt seem to release completely. I get a loud screeching and knocking sound from the rear which seems as if the car is struggling to move off. And then after a few metres the ebrake seems to release completely and everything is normal, no more issues further in the journey with the ebrake engaging/disengaging. I tried manually disengaging the e-brake by pressing the button before moving off and it seems to be the same when I first start the car in the morning. Seems it gets worse the longer I leave the car idle. Booked in to local dealers to have a look but they dont have availability till the end of April..such fun!

Has anyone faced similar issues or know what might be causing this? I wonder if the rear brake pads are sticking to the wheels?

Thanks!
Feels as it's rusting on as you allude to in your last sentence. You could try the long term going away on holiday trick where you park as per normal with auto brakes on. Click to off, that releases them. Engine off, shift to D (assuming automatic). It's being held by the engine now. You might wish to block it up thou. Probably won't do it after but doesn't fix your issue. Mechanics among the board I'm sure will tell you what the issue is. Calipres and stuff sticking. I'll bow out gracefully now. Anyhow a short term fix if you dont park on a hill...

Reactions: skb

skb

Apr 21, 2019
United Kingdom
Feels as it's rusting on as you allude to in your last sentence. You could try the long term going away on holiday trick where you park as per normal with auto brakes on. Click to off, that releases them. Engine off, shift to D (assuming automatic). It's being held by the engine now. You might wish to block it up thou. Probably won't do it after but doesn't fix your issue. Mechanics among the board I'm sure will tell you what the issue is. Calipres and stuff sticking. I'll bow out gracefully now. Anyhow a short term fix if you dont park on a hill...
thanks a lot ! will try this out..cheers!

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Sorry, why the palaver with auto brakes on/off D? Maybe I’m missing something, but I just put the transmission in P - for “Park” and leave it there. It’s held by the transmission lock. Never use the handbrake, it’s irrelevant in an auto.

Reactions: Bear

Tell

Staff member
You are, it parks it without the handbrake on so if the rear is sticking it isn't left applied. If going away for a long time you chock the car up and leave it parked in gear.

Some people do have a weird take on the auto handbrake but in an automatic you just use it. I leave the gear stirring people to work out how to use the electronic handbrake. It a feature really for automatics.

Expect its coming on too hard, poorly adjusted so having problems releasing or needs greesing or something.... normally they are bashed out as you pull away.

The other way as a temporary solution is to put the automatic handbrake off before finally parking... then do what I suggested till the garage fixes it. Father was a WW2 flight engineer I left the mechanics to him.... so there will be better people than me with an in-depth knowledge of calipers, warped discs and the like.

WaveyDaveyGravy

But I'm so tasty
Jan 3, 2006
Shipley
The discs and pads are sticking together with rust as you say. Other than the points listed above to stop it it's standard and it wears off when you brake. Can't imagine the dealer can do anything - the only solution is them not being together to stop it.

Reactions: Tell

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
You are, it parks it without the handbrake on so if the rear is sticking it isn't left applied. If going away for a long time you chock the car up and leave it parked in gear.
Parking in "ParK" also does it without the handbrake - assuming yoiu never activate it, and I don't. Still get a bit of "stiction" from corrosion from time to time though.

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Park an automatic in drive only for a vacation and won't be held by the brakes... simple.
Park it in Park and it won’t be held on the brakes either, that uses a transmission brake. (Thats why, in US movies, when a car pulls up it racks back and forth slightly until the transmission brake picks up) That’s what Park is for.

Tell

Staff member
Park it in Park and it won’t be held on the brakes either, that uses a transmission brake. (Thats why, in US movies, when a car pulls up it racks back and forth slightly until the transmission brake picks up) That’s what Park is for.
Mine doesn't. 😂... my brothers old American Pontiac Bonneville V8 did the lot, twitched on revving, rocked on parking, throu your head back accelerating etc. Thinks that Cupra owners can only wish for.... you got stopped by the police a lot and he got court cases.... magnet for trouble. Those 60s vehicles of The Invaders time. 🤣

You release the parking brake if leaving it long term and shift to D, but you can do what you like. Block up and go on holiday. The parking brake straps the cars brakes... that is why there is a procedure to unlock it if you have a battery failure. Another reason not to apply it when on holiday. It doesn't unstrap the car in P.

I've had zero problems with a standard Ateca with the parking brakes and calipers. Had Protyres fitted the replacement disks on backwards, picked up by the local Seat dealer. After four years chose to change them ahead of an MOT based on scored discs to get the Protyre price, than the Seat price.

Ofcourse this is the Cupra Ateca side with added bling and bigger stuff that isn't standard to a standard Ateca 🙄.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.