Electronic Parking Brake / Door Lock Issue

Garreh

May 17, 2009
Wolverhampton
Hi All,

I have a 2018 Seat Leon Cupra 290 and I'm having a couple of issues with it.

When auto hold is disabled, the electronic parking brake doesn't engage when turning off the ignition so I have to pull it up manually.
There's been many times where I've forgotten to pull it up and it's just sitting on the tranmission locking pin which isn't good for it.

Its done this since day 1 of ownership and I just put it down to poor design on SEAT's side.
I'm trying to figure out if it would be possible to use VCDS to change the behavior of the EPB.

Secondly, when I switch off the ignition without removing the key, the indicators double flash and the doors just unlock themselves.
It used to stay locked until I removed the key from the ignition switch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd think that that is the way that these cars were designed to behave.
As said, why not just make sure that AH is enabled all the time - until you want to switch it off for some reason, then switch it back on.

If I'm being honest, I never ever switched on AH or Hill Hold, on my 2011 Audi S4 for the first 3 or 4 years that I owned it, its default for Hill Hold seems to be off with no option that I've found that allows me to change that to defaulting to be on. Remember this S4 was first brought to market back in maybe 2009 so things could have moved on since then. Then, I noticed people commenting on just how fragile/unreliable VW Group's electric handbrake systems can be - I'm not sure if this applies to every model or just some, so the suggestion was to make life easy for the electric handbrake by always having Hill Hold enabled.

I have noticed that more modern VW Group cars that have electric handbrakes all seem to have Hill Hold defaulting to be on when the ignition is initially switched on, so maybe at some point in the production calendar the default state was changed.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
I have a normal handbrake, the car has AH, but I didn't know because I used the handbrake .
AH seems like it has no down side unless you like to roll back on inclines for some reason and I'll do that sometimes.
I'd say leave it on, it releases in reverse on my seat.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Hi All,

I have a 2018 Seat Leon Cupra 290 and I'm having a couple of issues with it.

When auto hold is disabled, the electronic parking brake doesn't engage when turning off the ignition so I have to pull it up manually.
There's been many times where I've forgotten to pull it up and it's just sitting on the tranmission locking pin which isn't good for it.

Its done this since day 1 of ownership and I just put it down to poor design on SEAT's side.
I'm trying to figure out if it would be possible to use VCDS to change the behavior of the EPB.

Secondly, when I switch off the ignition without removing the key, the indicators double flash and the doors just unlock themselves.
It used to stay locked until I removed the key from the ignition switch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you.
Transmission lock (P) is design to hold the car! in the event the parking brake fails.

I don't have EPB in my Leon - but a T Roc in my family has EPB and I'm 'fairly' sure there is an option in one of the menus to enable/disable auto engage/release?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.