Engine Oil - What Grade to use?

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
The same castrol 5w30 but the spec labels have changed in the space of a year. Regarding VOLKWAGEN spec numbers
88f061a431cf25b99fa39abd821621f9.jpg
26586923c780d8dec3a29a67eab0be4e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
This might depend on when exactly VW spec 505 came into force, and Castrol are just in the habit of quoting the latest and the previous VW spec that is applicable when the labelling was last revised. For instance Castrol might place in the market a new version of oil of a certain "grade/quality" and when it was initially tested it was ahead/exceeded of some of the quoted car marques specs, but with time, Castrol have found that in all the measured parameters from their initial tests, that same oil now complies with later specs as well - so have changed their labelling for later batches to reflect that.

Edit:- trouble is, if you don't use this oil what are you going to do with it - I'd just use it based on everything that you have discovered? I've disposed of 1/2 or 1/4 full containers of oils in the past when I've changed cars - either by giving them to a friend who is not too fussy about what oil he uses in some cars, or at the local tip into their used oil tank.

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Well if you know me i like to find out things, I spoke with a castrol technician on the phone and he confirmed in the email that:
"
Hi
I assume you are using for a petrol model on fixed servicing
The latest spec for the Magnatec Stop-Start 3W-30 C3 is as follows

ACEA C3
API SN
BMW Longlife-04
MB-Approval 229.31/ 229.51
Renault RN 0700 / RN 0710

So the latest product doesn’t actually have any VW approvals on the latest formulation unfortunately. Sounds like you have some of the previous formulation which met 505 01 and 505 00. This will be fine as the 505 01 actually covers all the requirements of 502 00 anyway so no need to panic

Going forward the product I would suggest either the EDGE 5W-30 LL as this carries the higher 504 00 spec, which covers 502 00 requirements ( and then some ) , or the Magnatec Stop-Start 5W-30 A3/B4 which does have 502 00

Hope that’s useful"

So it seems that when you by 5w30 c3 - if it has vw505 and vw505 01 - these are old stock bottles that who ever you order from is just clearing off the shelf. but eventually you may get a brand new bottle that doesnt meet any vw spec and are advised to moveforward with the above formualtion, so could be abit annoying if your like me you have everything delivered you will never know what your getting, but going into store of ECP is just to long winded and waiting is always bad in there, so I believe i will be moving forward with 5w30 LL as the A3/B3 is hard to come by and also is more expensive the supposedly better quality stuff anyway

Deleted member 120738

I have bought from Opie Oils for my recently purchased 1.2 TSi FR Black Castrol Edge 5w-40 which is to VW spec VW502 00/505 00/505 01 which according to the Castrol website is the correct oil for a car on yearly service intervals. Mind you the oil is the car is black and it was only serviced 50 miles ago! Or so it says in the maintenance handbook...

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
@everson38 , I just think that you are trying to use up some of my typical bad luck there, and as you have found it can be very annoying!
Just an idea to get something out of this unfortunate situation, if that car's oil looks very manky/black/old, why not dump that Castrol "green pack" oil into it for a couple of months to act as a flushing oil - just a thought, that's all!

Reactions: everson38

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
@everson38 , I just think that you are trying to use up some of my typical bad luck there, and as you have found it can be very annoying!
Just an idea to get something out of this unfortunate situation, if that car's oil looks very manky/black/old, why not dump that Castrol "green pack" oil into it for a couple of months to act as a flushing oil - just a thought, that's all!
Yeah I will probably keep it as flushing oil. I have to say though did an oil change with that castor edge 5w30 LL and the engine is quite as a mouse. B4 I changed it the engine made this metal grind for about 1 second but now it's gone. The last place that did oil it showed the oil cost £13, so doubt it was any good. Changed the brake pads and discs as there was a slight judder and the discs where rotting away so hopefully will sort, will try a test drive tomorrow

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.