Engine/rattling noise when in eco mode

Aug 8, 2023
Hello, I own a 2022 Cupra Formentor 1.5 tsi

It's done 36 000km, it developed a rattling noise when it had 8 000km driven, dealer tried 4 different things to fix the issue, didn't find the issue itself obviously.
VAG said that they will now only attempt a repair if the engine eats itself alive.

The issue is present when you're driving at a constant speed and ECO mode is on. Anyone had something like this?
Drove 2 different Formentors that people I know own, none of them have that sound. Honestly, i'm at the point where if I don't fix it, i'm gonna sell the car, because it's the most painful thing driving through town in a new car that sounds like one that's done 5 million km and is 60 years old.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Could be the turbo actuator: known to sometimes be an issue of the 1.4ECOTSi, so it may be the 1.5 is affected also.
Have a look on the search function on the forum for more info.

pivko11

Jun 9, 2022

It's done 36 000km, it developed a rattling noise when it had 8 000km driven, dealer tried 4 different things to fix the issue, didn't find the issue itself obviously.
VAG said that they will now only attempt a repair if the engine eats itself alive.

The issue is present when you're driving at a constant speed and ECO mode is on. Anyone had something like this?
Drove 2 different Formentors that people I know own, none of them have that sound. Honestly, i'm at the point where if I don't fix it, i'm gonna sell the car, because it's the most painful thing driving through town in a new car that sounds like one that's done 5 million km and is 60 years old.
When the ECO mode is on, the engine runs on just two cylinders.
I can feel and hear when the engine is in ECO mode, but it is barely noticeable. It is not as if the engine is worn out...

Dec 12, 2023

i have same noise in my new 1.5 etsi cupra Leon 2023 model which is same engine in formentor. İt is 1200 km, very New :(. When cently accelerate in Eco mode, the sound is like rattling or knocking around 2k rpm. It is definitelly coming from engine. As soon as you increase acceleration and Eco mode disengages, noise disappears. Do you guys have solution of it?

Last edited:

yehavi

Nov 19, 2022
I also have this phenomenon. Since it happens only when the ECO lamp lights, I assume it is some pressure release valve which lowers the pressure from the two inactive cylinders. But I never bothered to check or verify it...

It can be heard only when the windows are open.

Regards, __Yehavi:

Dec 12, 2023
As i mentioned above my car is a new Leon. There was no noise for first 750-800 km. After that it began. Now the car is at 1200 km and the noise is clearly noticable even if windows are closed. i belive that it will be more and more noticable every day i use the car

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.