Engine winding noise once ignition turned off...air con compressor? fan?

Cupra_J_RS

Yellow Perril Cupra
May 14, 2007
Solihull, Birmingham
Hi all,

Not long had my 2001 Onvi Ibiza Cupra, and with all this hot weather of late, have noticed air con is not working.

I have been spending alot of time on this site and highly rate it, so im pretty clued up on the commom problems regarding this issue which is regularly posted/commented about on here.

So...i read the fuse blowing is a common fault with air con not working, so i check the fuse - and to my happiness, the fuse had melted and the metal part was stuck in the fuse holder. So after removing all the broken parts, i changed the fuse for another 30A.

I think the air con is now working, the AC symbol is not flashing (re: gas refill) so im relatively happy the fuse was the problem.

However, when i switch the engine off, i can hear a winding from the engine. Is this likely to be the air con compresser or some kind of fan within the engine bay? I removed the fuse when the ignition was off just to see if it stopped the noise, and it did. So it seems what ever that fuse is protecting, hasnt worked for a while until ive now changed the fuse.

It seemed the winding noise carried on for a while, so i was a little worried about getting a flat battery...how long should/does the winding noise carry on for once the engine is switched off?
The noise could be meant to happen, i just wanna check this.

Thanks for any help,

J

Cupra_J_RS

Yellow Perril Cupra
May 14, 2007
Solihull, Birmingham
Thanks lads, spoke to my dad today, he tells me pretty much what you guys have stated above...a pump cooling the turbo or a pump that continues to pump some fuel round the engine once the ignition is switched off. - so is it kinda like a turbo timer?

The worrying thing is...my car has only started doing this since i changed the fuse y'day. I changed the fuse thinking it was the air con fuse, as my air con hasn't been wrking of late. My air con now works :)

So it seems the pump cooling the turbo couldnt possibly have been doing its job for the past however long as the fuse was blown???!

Thanks again.

Feb 25, 2007
cheshire
the pump does not cool the turbo, so you need to let it cool down yourself

It pumps water around to keep other things cool

The secondary water pump does pump through the turbo to cool it down when the engine is turned off! Thats whats it for!

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
ok yes it does circulate water through it however its not to the full effect of a turbo timer...the oil needs to cool as well. It circulates water through the whole system not just the turbo

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.