Esso synergy supreme or BP ultimate petrol?

mdaw1985

Aug 3, 2008
St.Leonards, East Sussex
Yes I know Shell Vpower is king in petrol and my normal go to is tesco momentum. My problem is that my local tesco doesn't seem to be supplying momentum since lock down and I'm now running out of fuel. My nearest shell is a bit of a drive and also their standard fuel is more than the current price of what momentum would be for me by about 5p per litre let alone Vpower.
From my own personal experience owning my car for nearly a year now since switching back from diesel momentum works well in my car and if I can't get that I will usually get 95ron esso and again it seems fine in my 1.4tsi 150 as it should. Personally the 2 tanks of standard BP I have used have been the worst fuel I have used, the car just did not feel responsive or as smooth which shocked me and that's from 2 different garages. I also used a local/independent garage https://powerpetroleum.co.uk/ which again felt good. They claim not to put any ethanol in their petrol which I know some hate. I do like to put super fuel in to help with cleaning etc rather than buying redex etc.
So which super fuel do you prefer? Esso or BP. My other options are the other supermarkets maybe if they have it and if I'm out of town JET ultra.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
If I had both BP and Esso handy I'd go for Esso. I'd choose Shell over either of them.

Owen83

Feb 9, 2018
Personally I don't see the point using anything other than the engine was designed for... 95RON

Reactions: Tivver500

mdaw1985

Aug 3, 2008
St.Leonards, East Sussex
Personally I don't see the point using anything other than the engine was designed for... 95RON
The point is the super fuels contain better cleaning agents with most brands. So unless it's cheaper using something like redex as an additive then you won't get the same cleaning benefits. I know the higher octane won't make much difference to my car unless it was remapped.

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
Depends on model - my fuel cap basically says '95RON if you are desperate' :cheeky:
Agreed, fuel cap reads:
Unleaded super plus 98 octane petrol or super 95 octane petrol at least.

And is referenced in the manual:
We recommend refuelling with super plus 98 octane petrol (93 AKI). If not available: super 95 octane petrol (91 AKI) (with a slight power loss). If super is not available, if necessary, use normal 91 octane petrol (87 AKI). In this case only use moderate engine speeds and a light throttle. Refuel with super as soon as possible.

I fill up with Tesco/Esso momentum as it is the cheapest 99/98 octane. usually about £1.14 /litre from my local tesco. But once every 5 or 6 tanks ill put Shell vPower in (£1.30/litre).

Reactions: bgb

BigFatFish

Jan 26, 2020
Esso for most of the country is ethanol free. I run my leon on Asda fuel but my motorbikes only get to drink from Esso for this reason. If what you're putting in the tank bothers you why would you pay extra for 5-10% of what you're buying to be ethanol?

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
image.jpg
image.jpg
I had to go and check our there, 1.4l 150hp fr, Never put super in it and was never advised by the garage to do so, after reading the fuel flap sticker it does say super unleaded min 95, so does my Honda but in a more definite manner. Do some countries have more than two choices of fuel? we have 95ron and super at 98ish, could there be sub 95ron available in Europe? Just a thought.
Pictures above to show the different stickers, I read the top one as use 98ron, and 95ron as a last resort, while the Seat one seems to suggest it considers 95ron to be super?

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
USA can get lower as well,

When out on roadtrips in Europe I've seen 95,98,99,102,105 and we used to have 120 at SIlverstone.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Me personnally on an EcoTsi, I found No differences whatsoever between the 95 branded RON grades, eg..(Shell, Esso, Jet, Texaco). On BP 95, it felt a bit meh, not sure how to describe it, like the car woke up on the wrong side of bed or something...On the higher Ron fuels, Esso 97 gave me the smoothest engine, Vpower 99 gave me the 'best' mpg according to the trip computer, and Momentum 99 gave me nothing else that I could see or feel compared to the 95RON or other most expensive petrols. All other fuels, would give me the 'same' mpg all things being equal at least from the car computer. One day I would like to try 97 RONs from BP and Texaco, although I read that many found BP Ultimate 97 a bit...hmm...
However on the V40 Volvo 1.5T, Momentum 99 seemed to pull hardest, but Vpower 99 still gave me marginally more mpg (but still doesn't even out the extra cost). So I would probably say, put 95 RON from the branded fuels most of the time, and every few thousand miles or so, treat it to a tank full of Shell Vpower 99 / Esso 97. If you are desperate for fuel, go to the nearest supermarket filling station.

moriarty

Apr 6, 2015
Edinburgh
I saw this clip the other week from 5th Gear. V-Power was clear winner, below that didn't seem so much difference but who knows if that is really a representative test.

https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=10156700284202519&_rdr

If you want to save money on Fuel try to get a Fuelpecker card. I got one from a classic car club and saves 6p/ litre on Esso Supreme. Only 1p on V-Power.
Doesn't work at BP or other brands.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The "Petrol Price" website was offering a card that gave more off Esso than other brands, I meant to respond that that as Esso is my chosen brand if I'm not using Costco fuel.

Who likes which fuel brand is always a contentious topic and we are all right in our own way - maybe.

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
My 150 EcoTSI ACT is definitely perkier on V Power and more economical, offset by the higher cost though! Juniors modded Focus ST goes like a rocket on it.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I saw this clip the other week from 5th Gear. V-Power was clear winner, below that didn't seem so much difference but who knows if that is really a representative test.

https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=10156700284202519&_rdr

If you want to save money on Fuel try to get a Fuelpecker card. I got one from a classic car club and saves 6p/ litre on Esso Supreme. Only 1p on V-Power.
Doesn't work at BP or other brands.

That test was done by 5th gear and R-Tech who are a well known and respected VAG tuner.

Owen83

Feb 9, 2018
The point is the super fuels contain better cleaning agents with most brands. So unless it's cheaper using something like redex as an additive then you won't get the same cleaning benefits. I know the higher octane won't make much difference to my car unless it was remapped.

Do They? Can you prove this? or is this what you have heard?

What cleaning agents are added to 95 RON which are inferior to those added to 98RON?

I'm playing devils advocate ( I've worked in the O&G industry for 10 years [B)] )

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
I reckon it's marketing BS.

All fuels must meet various standards and realistically almost no engines (if serviced properly!) cause cars to be scrapped in the UK - what gets them is accidents, rust, MoT failure deemed too costly to fix.

Reactions: cuthound

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
Do They? Can you prove this? or is this what you have heard?

What cleaning agents are added to 95 RON which are inferior to those added to 98RON?

I'm playing devils advocate ( I've worked in the O&G industry for 10 years [B)] )
I worked for lubrizol additives in the past. They produce the additive pack for shell VPower. I couldn’t tell you exactly what was in it but it is distinctly different to addictive packs for other fuels.
I worked mostly with engine oils rather than fuel additives. My mate worked in the fuel additives division and wouldn’t put anything but shell in his Porsche.

mdaw1985

Aug 3, 2008
St.Leonards, East Sussex
I worked for lubrizol additives in the past. They produce the additive pack for shell VPower. I couldn’t tell you exactly what was in it but it is distinctly different to addictive packs for other fuels.
I worked mostly with engine oils rather than fuel additives. My mate worked in the fuel additives division and wouldn’t put anything but shell in his Porsche.
So did he ever mention how much different the additive package was compared to standard shell vs v power?
I finally managed to fill up with tesco momentum today at 109.9, my nearest shell is 112.9 for standard fuel and 125.9 for v power. I could have got esso supreme for 116.9.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.