Exhaust gasses smell after DPF delete

YKFR

Jul 23, 2019
Hi,

Looking for answers to get a fix on a new problem I have encountered.

I got DPF deleted as it was getting blocked and failing regens. And the car seems to run fine with no issues. It drives fine and there doesn't seem to be a problem until you start listening in and smelling exhaust fumes inside the cabin when fan is on and the car is in start stop traffic especially. There is a quite loud air escaping type noise coming from where engine is, maybe behind it or underneath it?

What could be the cause of this? Could a bolt or two been left loose or a gasket not put back properly when DPF was being removed?

I dont want to have to book the car in to a garage and just waste money on trying to find where this noise is exactly coming from, if anyone has come across this kind of issue here, then their input would be highly valuable.

Note: I am able to physically hear air escaping when, the car is NOT increasing or decreasing in revs, for e.g if I am giving it some and putting my foot down I don't hear anything. But as soon as revs settle on a certain RPM the air noise is back.

Thanks.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
My money would be on a leak in the system, maybe a bad weld on the replacement pipe or leaky joint.
Take it back to whomever did the job for you?

Reactions: Damo H

MatTheMerciless

Feb 16, 2019
Might be completely unrelated. It’s common to smell exhaust fumes when the injector seals go. A decent mechanic would be able to diagnose quickly.

YKFR

Jul 23, 2019
Might be completely unrelated. It’s common to smell exhaust fumes when the injector seals go. A decent mechanic would be able to diagnose quickly.

I only started to hear air escape and smell exhaust fumes once DPF was removed physically and everything was welded and put back together again.

So that's why I assumed it was because of a mistake when putting everything back.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
In a modern diesel, a DPF getting blocked and failing regens are usually due to a fault elsewhere, a sensor for example. A DPF will fill up over time, but it will be due to age. The smell you're getting could be related to the possible fault you had that caused the DPF to be full.