Exhaust system query (full system / cat-back)

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
Hey guys and gals! Long time no see, been a while for sure! :)

Can someone point me in the right direction first of all with the exhaust system for me just so as I have a clear precise image in mind? I've got a Leon FR (170 CR 2010 FL) and want to make sure I understand the exhaust system as it is (stock) from the turbo all the way to the exhaust tip. So downpipe, DPF filter, cat, etc. I honestly can't say I know where it all is or how it all goes from start to finish besides the mega obvious tips and back box haha!

Reason I want to know is because I plan on getting some quotes for a new exhaust system and I see "Full System" stated but for both cat-back and pre-cat. Correct me if I'm wrong but pre-cat I am guessing is from the turbo to the exhaust tips, so if cat-back is from the back end of the cat to the tips then how is that called a full system too? Most likely I'm over complicating things for myself haha! Ideally the plan is to get some quotes as I plan to have a full system done, most likely from the turbo to tips, so in doing so I am thinking of having the DPF filter removed and the EGR deleted. If I get a full system with that in mind, would it be better to get a sports cat involved with the full system too? I don't want the exhaust to sound too obnoxious/loud so I'll most likely go with a resonated option. I just honestly don't know what these cars sound like with or without a resonated system in place (at least this make/model specific) and on the day of having said work done I intend to have it mapped to a Stage 1 too. Besides that, would it be worth while having an induction kit fitted before the mapping or would stock be fine for a Stage 1 map?

Sorry for the essay, thanks in advance! :)

--Lee

Oct 17, 2023
Hey guys and gals! Long time no see, been a while for sure! :)

Can someone point me in the right direction first of all with the exhaust system for me just so as I have a clear precise image in mind? I've got a Leon FR (170 CR 2010 FL) and want to make sure I understand the exhaust system as it is (stock) from the turbo all the way to the exhaust tip. So downpipe, DPF filter, cat, etc. I honestly can't say I know where it all is or how it all goes from start to finish besides the mega obvious tips and back box haha!
Reason I want to know is because I plan on getting some quotes for a new exhaust system and I see "Full System" stated but for both cat-back and pre-cat. Correct me if I'm wrong but pre-cat I am guessing is from the turbo to the exhaust tips, so if cat-back is from the back end of the cat to the tips then how is that called a full system too? Hey there! It's awesome that you're diving into understanding your exhaust system. It's like unraveling a mechanical mystery! Starting from the turbo to the exhaust tip, you'll discover the magic that makes your car purr. The downpipe, DPF filter, and cat each play a vital role. It's perfectly normal not to have all the details at first, but you're on the right track by seeking clarity. It's a bit like discovering the plot of https://essaypro.com/blog/best-school-anime-of-all-times-what-to-watch the best school anime of all time - intricate and fascinating once you grasp the whole picture. Keep exploring, you're doing great!

--Lee
Hey there! Welcome back! It's all good; we're here to help. So, with your Leon FR, the exhaust system typically goes like this: from the turbo, you've got the downpipe, followed by the DPF (diesel particulate filter), then the catalytic converter (cat), and on to the rest. Of course, there are some variations and components might look a bit different, but that's the basic flow. If you need more details or have specific questions, just shout! 🚗💨

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Hey there! Welcome back! It's all good; we're here to help. So, with your Leon FR, the exhaust system typically goes like this: from the turbo, you've got the downpipe, followed by the DPF (diesel particulate filter), then the catalytic converter (cat), and on to the rest. Of course, there are some variations and components might look a bit different, but that's the basic flow. If you need more details or have specific questions, just shout! 🚗💨

@Syphon I've reported two previous posts from this account that were obvious spam and here is a third. This would appear to be an account created solely to post spam. You might want to consider blocking this account.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.