Facelift Spec Differences & Options

TomsLeon

Sep 26, 2020
So, I bought the orange one... I have to say, it's a fantastic colour, the interior is lovely and the infotainment and digital dash is great. 2.0 TSI with DSG is great, I never went for the clutch at all despite driving manual for 10 years.

The DCC seems surprisingly compliant on 18s in comfort mode as well, although I didn't go on any really rough roads. However...I felt extremely nauseous driving it. I'm gutted tbh. :( I don't know whether that's all caused by the ride (so an Xcellence Lux might be ok, or maybe I need a totally different type of car?) or whether it's caused by the stress of getting a new car, in which case, I can't really buy anything!

So yeah...I don't know what to do now. It was 'approved seat' so comes with a 30 day exchange...if I can find something to exchange with. Alternatively, I'd have to try and sell it or PX it...can't keep it when I can't even get to the supermarket without feeling ill. I'll give it another go in the morning just in case it was all anxiety today, but I won't hold my breath.

Just one final thing...it did 50mpg average over the ~150 mile delivery!

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
How many times have you felt like this driving it? It just doesn't sound right.

Mr_G

Oct 23, 2019
Probably a daft idea but have you tried it with the suspension in sports / on a stiffer setting - ours doesn't have the driving modes but when you say " surprisingly compliant" I wonder if the body roll or similar is a little to much?

TomsLeon

Sep 26, 2020
How many times have you felt like this driving it? It just doesn't sound right.

Only bought the Leon today but have felt like that every drive for the last 15 years... It has got considerably worse over the last couple of years though...then lockdown 1 was the last straw!

I have various health issues including agoraphobia, anxiety, vertigo, IBS and reflux... I love cars but hate driving as it always makes me feel ill. I do realise the irony in that...

I've had to stick to 'dull' cars with soft suspension and meaty tyres so far. I thought the DCC was my chance at a sporty car but it looks like it's not to be sadly. Xcellence Lux might still be a possibility but it's not really the one I wanted, I just don't like the grill or the wheels on them.

TomsLeon

Sep 26, 2020
Probably a daft idea but have you tried it with the suspension in sports / on a stiffer setting - ours doesn't have the driving modes but when you say " surprisingly compliant" I wonder if the body roll or similar is a little to much?

That's a fair point and no I haven't tried in anything other than comfort yet. I'm used to wallowy cars bit still worth a try.

One of my mates from a previous forum just suggested it might be the auto gearbox that's the issue though. As you're feeling the gears change without changing them yourself - kind of like escalators compared to stairs (I can't use escalators or lifts tbf!).

Never heard of it before but if that's the case it'll mean the 2.0 Excellence Lux is out as well...

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Really sorry to hear about your condition, it sounds grim. I would imagine that it's a combination of things. Usually softer suspension makes you more prone to motion sickness but if that's not what you are experiencing that might not be the case for you. I understand where your friend is coming from regarding the auto gearbox. Again, it's about the feeling of not being in control, which is why you typically feel sick as a passenger but not while driving.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Do you not get like 14days to hand back / terminate deal?

Maybe you are just nervous as it is new. I know when i hop into a different car there is an adjustment period that you have to go through. Takes a couple of days maybe longer and i fortunately don’t have any health conditions.

Maybe it will be okay? Guess you have a couple of days to see if things improve.

Reactions: TomsLeon

Mr_G

Oct 23, 2019
That's a fair point and no I haven't tried in anything other than comfort yet. I'm used to wallowy cars bit still worth a try.

One of my mates from a previous forum just suggested it might be the auto gearbox that's the issue though. As you're feeling the gears change without changing them yourself - kind of like escalators compared to stairs (I can't use escalators or lifts tbf!).

Never heard of it before but if that's the case it'll mean the 2.0 Excellence Lux is out as well...

Get where your coming from with the moving without moving feeling - was sat in a two lane / one way tunnel and the traffic next to me was moving and my lane wasn't, mind felt like i was going backwards yet body disagreed, not something I'd be in a rush to repeat...

Back on topic though, I never notice the upshifts in drive but the DSG is so reluctant to change down that it gets to the point where you can hear / feel the engine starting to labour before it drops a gear. Putting it into sport solves this issue and makes the car seem so much more alive, often get the same if not more MPG too :)

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
You could try manual gear changes using the DSG box. See if that helps - you may have (or feel) a little more control.
As others mentioned, maybe it will just take a little time to adjust.

I've driven several hire cars and work cars and quickly adapt (don't really have much choice!). But with my own cars, I think it takes longer to adjust. Perhaps I am a bit more cautious when it's my own vehicle. It might be worth sticking it out a bit longer and see if it's just the change of car which you need to adapt to.

TomsLeon

Sep 26, 2020
Do you not get like 14days to hand back / terminate deal?

Maybe you are just nervous as it is new. I know when i hop into a different car there is an adjustment period that you have to go through. Takes a couple of days maybe longer and i fortunately don’t have any health conditions.

Maybe it will be okay? Guess you have a couple of days to see if things improve.

I don't think there's a 14 day cooling off period for cars? That would be the best option if so. I've had another drive this morning and didn't even make it out of the estate. The ride is definitely firmer than I'm used to but I think the gearbox is having more impact than I realised yesterday as well.

There is a 30 day exchange but it has to be the same dealer and there's nothing else there that would be suitable. If I stick with a Leon it would have to be the Xcellence Lux and with a manual box...so 1.5 TSI as there's no manual 2.0. I can only find one though and it's over £2k more than my FR Sport cost.

2020 Blue SEAT Leon 1.5 TSI EVO XCELLENCE Lux (s/s) 5dr for sale for £18760 in York, North Yorkshire (autotrader.co.uk)

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
What's the ride like on estates?

Good. We've had two estates and a hatch. The estate feels a bit more stable, being a bit heavier, the diesel more so because the engine is heavier. The FR is a really good balance of handling and ride on the facelift, especially if you get smaller wheels than the fashionable 18s.

The estate is such a practical car to me it's a no brainer over the hatch. I think it looks better too, more purposeful.

TomsLeon

Sep 26, 2020
The independent rear suspension is only on the 1.8 and 2.0 engines as they have more power.

Is that for definite? I know on some other cars (Focus for example) the estates all got IRS as they were expected to carry heavier loads.

TomsLeon

Sep 26, 2020
Good. We've had two estates and a hatch. The estate feels a bit more stable, being a bit heavier, the diesel more so because the engine is heavier. The FR is a really good balance of handling and ride on the facelift, especially if you get smaller wheels than the fashionable 18s.

The estate is such a practical car to me it's a no brainer over the hatch. I think it looks better too, more purposeful.

I don't have any practical need for an estate tbh, that one just happens to be local and the right engine and trim level.

I can fit a weeks supermarket shopping for one behind the backseats! :LOL: I last used the boot (for something other than groceries) back in January now I think about it! I used to have a couple of Peugeot 306 estates around 10 years ago, they were always full of something at the time, I got fed up dragging a tiny trailer around and trying to reverse it in tight spaces.

It definitely won't be an FR for me now, once bitten, twice shy lol. I'll stick to the comfort suspension and forget about the pretty bumpers.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
In terms of comfort, the independent rear suspension is no big deal. It does help handling, or rather handling feel, but only when you're pushing hard. In typical driving it's not that noticeable, the size of the wheels and the suspension set up is a bigger difference.

TomsLeon

Sep 26, 2020
I've enquired about the estate by email, asking if they'd allow an extended test drive due to my situation. Will just have to wait and see what they say. My last few cars have all been IRS so I'm reluctant to move away from it, knowing how sensitive I am to ride comfort. I find smaller cars like Fiestas and Swift's very rough from the rear which might be the beam suspension, or it might be the wheel/tyre choice and lack of weight.

Just been out in the FR Sport again but it's not getting any better. I did find a weird DSG issue though...it won't let you reverse with the door open. Wouldn't move, started screaming at me and flashing warnings to select Park... I like to line the door sill up with the kerb so it's perfectly straight...maybe I'm in the minority with that.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I've inquired about the estate by email, asking if they'd allow an extended test drive due to my situation.

They should. I had my car out for an hour on my own, no salesman in the car, and there is nothing wrong with me.

I wouldn't worry about the rear suspension. If it's the comfort suspension and wheels no bigger than 17'' it's really not harsh at all. Small cars are rougher just because they are small. Less weight so easier to bounce around. That's why the estate feels more stable, more weight on the back end. Still drives really well though, once up to speed you don't notice the extra weight, car still handles well.

I hate the way manufacturers are taking control away from the driver, second guessing him or or adding stupid features just because they can. The electric handbrake is the same. I don't want the computer deciding when the handbrake can be released, I can do it myself thanks.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
A driver recently fell out of the car while she was doing that exact same thing, so I can see why they introduced that feature. The uncontrolled car then pushed a passing cyclist over a seawall before crushing him to death on the beach below.

• Sad
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members