Fan still on when engine is off

Sikhmans

Jan 12, 2017
Bristol
Hi!!

Had my Seat Leon FR for just over 2 weeks no, only noticed my engine fan is fairly load and still on when engine is turnt off. Is this common? Is there anything to worry about?

Cheers Dev

Lykaios

Sep 28, 2015
Bedford
I assume you have a diesel?

If so, the fan would be on to cool the engine down after running through the DPF cycle.

andycupra

status subject to change
if its been running hot then this is normal, given the weather you would have had to be thrashing it.
on the other hand Lykaios makes a good point about DPF regeneration.
whats your typical journey and when was last time the car had a good long run?

if you don't know what regeneration is:
diesels now have a DPF (diesel particulate filter) these work by having in effect a blocked filter except for microscopic holes which air can pass but not diesel particulates.
the particulates build up in the filter, until the filter Is up to full operating termperature, at which point the particulates breakdown/burn off.
if you don't get the filter up to temperature often enough then the filter can become clogged and the car will alter the cycle to artificially increase the temperature in the exhaust and filter. some say they can feel the engine running a bit roughly when this happens.

Last edited:

Sikhmans

Jan 12, 2017
Bristol
Tbh I've only noticed twice, both were short 10 minute trips, so maybe you are right in saying not upto temperature.

I hope it isn't a problem though

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
Tbh I've only noticed twice, both were short 10 minute trips, so maybe you are right in saying not upto temperature.

I hope it isn't a problem though

I've had exactly the same, I do short journeys and it sounds like a plane engine when I get home but I do 200 miles and get home and it's dead silent. I have a 66 plate FR 184 so I'm reassured to see someone else with the same noise(it's my first diesel)