Few things....

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Hi, am wanting some info? does anyone know where to get strut braces for an '05 toledo (55plate). What tpye of bulbs are required for this car, searched but couldnt come up with anything, H1/4/7? Final thing, for now till i come up with something else stupid?! Towbars???a rough guide to type, prices etc?

all info helpfull.

:D

TDI_luver

Jul 11, 2006
Ireland
Hi Googies,

I assume its the new shape (altea style) Toledo you have.

Cant tell u anything about strut braces, but the headlamp bulbs are H1 main beam, H7 dipped beam. Not sure about the fogs, commonly H3 on most cars now....its in the owner's handbook anyway.

Dealer fitted a 'Witter' towbar to mine when new. It a strong but not very beautiful looking thing....unfortunately not the sleek 'swan neck' type but instead a slightly LandRover looking 'flangeball' hitch. Might be good a t pulling a huge caravan, but a bit ugly for a light trailer.

Try to get a swan neck type if at all possible......'Brink' do nice ones....I see you're in Ireland.....try looking at McCabe Ironwork's website...they make very good towbars at much lower prices than the big Euro makes...and deliver COD within Ireland too. You need to call them for the price.....http://www.miw.ie/TOWBARS/Models/Seat.html

Expect to pay anywhere between 200 - 300 euro for a decent towbar (without fitting or wiring)

The bigger problem is the wiring...because of ECU controlled overengineered light control, you need a 'multiplexer' box to make the connections for the 7 pin plug. These aren't cheap.....through a dealer they retail for somewhere around 100 euro...you might locate them cheaper elsewhere.

So, allow at least 300 euro for the parts, if you want professional fitting, add another 100 - 150 euro (add VAT too !) and you wont have much change out of 500....maybe 450 if you are lucky.

TDI_luver

Jul 11, 2006
Ireland
Hi Googies,

I assume its the new shape (altea style) Toledo you have.

Cant tell u anything about strut braces, but the headlamp bulbs are H1 main beam, H7 dipped beam. Not sure about the fogs, commonly H3 on most cars now....its in the owner's handbook anyway.

Dealer fitted a 'Witter' towbar to mine when new. It a strong but not very beautiful looking thing....unfortunately not the sleek 'swan neck' type but instead a slightly LandRover looking 'flangeball' hitch. Might be good a t pulling a huge caravan, but a bit ugly for a light trailer.

Try to get a swan neck type if at all possible......'Brink' do nice ones....I see you're in Ireland.....try looking at McCabe Ironwork's website...they make very good towbars at much lower prices than the big Euro makes...and deliver COD within Ireland too. You need to call them for the price.....http://www.miw.ie/TOWBARS/Models/Seat.html

Expect to pay anywhere between 200 - 300 euro for a decent towbar (without fitting or wiring)

The bigger problem is the wiring...because of ECU controlled overengineered light control, you need a 'multiplexer' box to make the connections for the 7 pin plug. These aren't cheap.....through a dealer they retail for somewhere around 100 euro...you might locate them cheaper elsewhere.

So, allow at least 300 euro for the parts, if you want professional fitting, add another 100 - 150 euro (add VAT too !) and you wont have much change out of 500....maybe 450 if you are lucky.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
thanks, it is the new shape i have!will be pulling a tamdom trailor and ride-on mower and equipment!found a detactchable for £200 ex wiring, fittin and delivery! will try your recommendations, work and get paid in euros but live in the north so use £'s mainly. saw the indicator symbol to show trailer bulbs working in hanbook so figured it not a simple wir it up to the rear lights job!! never thought of looking in the handbook for the bulbs, wasthinking of upgradin to osram bulbs. may just have to save my ass off then for the towbar, although no grass to cut thesedays!!

Do you have the new shape then? what model/options? im on a 1.9tdi reference, nothing special on options as were on good deal, old car not in good shape so wasnt worried at the time!

Thanks for the help!

TDI_luver

Jul 11, 2006
Ireland
Hi Googies,

Yes I'm driving the same beast as you....3 month old 1.9tdi reference 'spirit' promotional model. 22,500 euro or thereabouts....4 grand less than an Octavia Tdi estate, and 5,500 less than a Golf Tdi...there was really no competition for the size of the car.

See my new post on the problem with the paint colour on the rear bumper...might be confined to light metallic shades...I dunno...

And I agree the stock headlamps ( or rather their adjustment limitations) are not great, I was also wondering if upgraded bulbs would help....

What kind of MPG are you getting ?

I cannot get past 45 mpg ..... not good, but maybe I just need to be patient for another few thousand miles until it gets more run in....I hope !

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
got mine through a dealer at 1yr old with 7.5k miles!! £8000, that about 11000euro.... the golf is bit of a rip off on the price when you get a bigger car and it is the same engine and prob many other features!! i have lluvia blue, think it metallic, will hav a look in daylight? the dip beam is very low/dim for my liking, high beam is ok, just! having read a few posts i take it the Phillips Osram bulbs are the best bet, they not cheap but may be worth it?.

have car few weeks and am reckoning a full tank giving 500/530 miles, and thats trying not to breach 2000revs and 60mph when i can? coming out about 42mpg (although occasional bouts of heavy footedness).

TDI_luver

Jul 11, 2006
Ireland
I just fill mine until it just about overflows at the neck, zero the trip recorder, then drive it until the yellow light comes on and refill it to the same overflowing level. Watch how many litres it takes to refill, take note of the trip mileage and do the sums. 4.54 litres to a gallon.....

TDI_luver

Jul 11, 2006
Ireland
Let me know how you get on with the MPG test, I will be very interested in the result. I firmly believe with the technical advances that have been made with the 1.9 tdi engine over the last few years (PD injection, etc) should result in > 50 mpg.

My last car was a Toledo 1.9 Tdi (90 hp) non-PD and it returned > 54 mpg on the same daily run. That coincided exactly with Top Gear magazine's prediction for over all MPG for the model.

Interestingly, Top Gear mag predict 51MPG for the new model with the 105 hp 1.9tdi....and they are ususally very accurate in their mpg predictions in my experience.
So if you're getting much lower that 50 mpg on open road driving (within the speed limit) then there is something funny goin on.

Have you heard of the Statoil fuel card that you can sign up for as an Irish private motorist ? www.benchmark.ie Guarantees you fixed price discounted Statoil petrol and diesel purchases, billied monthly by direct debit...much like the DCI fleet card that companies use for trucks. As fuel tends to be very dear near the border, it might be a good money saver for you. For example, this week's fixed price with the card is 100.83 cents for petrol, 102.98 cents for diesel.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
will let you know what the mpg is. my route to work is over mainly back roads so might have a bearing on the figures?although do take it easy 95% of the time anyway!? had one of the 90BHP tdi's before this car, only for a week as found out it was a class d write off and turbo was bout to go! so bought the new one!i like to work in cash mostly, dont like debit or things like that, only on min wage as am a student on placement!getting my diesel at 104c, that not too bad.

TDI_luver

Jul 11, 2006
Ireland
Changed the 4 headlamp bulbs on mine last weekend to Phillips Silverstars ....wow !! what a difference. Highly recommended...almost like having HIDs (well not quite) but very crisp clear white lights, penetrate the murk much further, no yellow/brown colour to the light anymore....very white !

www.autobulbs.co.uk about stg£ 35 for the lot. well worth it !

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
hi. i got the towbar fitted, swanneck, forget the make, for £200 all in! now just need to rewire my trailer so the lights work!lol.

got rid of the shudder to, updated another post wiht that in it. was that sidelights, main and dip beams for £35?

TDI_luver

Jul 11, 2006
Ireland
Hi,

Yes the Osram silverstars came in about £35 all in including postage.

That was about £ 15 for the pair of H1 main beam bulbs, £20 approx for the pair of H7 dipped beam bulbs and a free set of w5w sidelamp blue tint bulbs (Look nice when parked at night !)

The difference is amazing....if you're strapped for Cash at Christmas time, just get the H7's first and see what you think...its only £20 you are gambling ...and you still get the sidelights free for ordering over £15.

Only then do you realise how lousy the stock bulbs really are....

TDI_luver

Jul 11, 2006
Ireland
Forgot to mention...the H7's are easy to fit...the H1's require you to be double jointed with the hands of a child and the patience of Jobe....and the sidelights are no walk in the park either !!

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
lol.think will get the wee cousins over to put them in by sounds of it! sidelights were a proper b*****d to get in and out on my 206!had de naf blue led's in. wil give them a shot. def strpped for cash at the min. where in ireland are you? am lookin for a few things from dealers, rubber mats and stuff, they not on the co.uk site but can get them in rest of europe!?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members