Finally dragged myself kicking and screaming into the 21st century......

SteveW

Jul 1, 2020
Salisbury, Wiltshire
I've always used a (good quality, not cheap one) genuine chamois to dry my cars in the 30 plus years I've been cleaning them. I used to buy Pittards many years ago, but they don't make them anymore, or I can't find them, So when I bought my Leon last month I bought a Simoniz genuine Chamois to replace my ageing chamois seeing as I had a new car.

Can't say I've been overly impressed with it to be honest in the month I've been using it, so decided to buy a microfibre towel to give them a try.

Popped to Halfords and couldn't decide between the Auto Finesse one or the Autoglym one so bought them both :roflmao:

Along with some Auto Finesse bug and grime remover as I've already blown through the AG Active Insect remover I bought last month! :eek:

20200730_183214.jpg

I'm guessing I was one of the few (or possibly the only one!) on here that still uses a chamois to dry the car?

Reactions: Eskilation

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I still have a real chamois as well as micro fibre towels, had the ‘chammy’ for years, cost £15 approx 16 years ago, about 0.5 square metre, does a great job but wringing them out is the difficulty, with a towel I fold lengthways and wrap around a pole* and twist the cloth tight, had access to mangle years ago, great tool.

*also wrapped around a wheel spoke and twisted to get rid of water.
We have an Autoglym rubber blade thingy but didn’t like it on bodywork, now it’s used to dry the shower walls and glass, both harder wearing than paint, no more water marks when they dry. Happy wifey.

Reactions: SteveW

SteveW

Jul 1, 2020
Salisbury, Wiltshire
I still have a real chamois as well as micro fibre towels, had the ‘chammy’ for years, cost £15 approx 16 years ago, about 0.5 square metre, does a great job but wringing them out is the difficulty, with a towel I fold lengthways and wrap around a pole* and twist the cloth tight, had access to mangle years ago, great tool.

*also wrapped around a wheel spoke and twisted to get rid of water.
We have an Autoglym rubber blade thingy but didn’t like it on bodywork, now it’s used to dry the shower walls and glass, both harder wearing than paint, no more water marks when they dry. Happy wifey.
I will keep the chamois but demote it to just wiping the door shuts etc I think so I can keep the towels for the exterior only :) My old, old chamois is still in use, but that gets used solely for the wheels now ;)

I've got one of those blades too that's been sat in my cleaning box for years and years now. Only used it a couple of times when I first bought it and decided I didn't like it on the paintwork. I've never thought of using it to clean the shower screens/tiles - looks like it may be coming out of retirement! :D

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Microfibre towels all day long. I use one from ‘The Rag Company’ - awesome.
I also bought a dog dryer and it works a treat, especially for all the shut lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveW

Jul 1, 2020
Salisbury, Wiltshire
:lol: at the doggy driers :)

I know a lot of detailers use blowers these days to reduce contact to almost zero when drying.

I used the towels at the weekend, they're OK I guess, but I still think a really good quality chamois (not like the cheap crap I stupidly bought last month) is as good if not better. the towels needed a few passes to completely clear a large panel, whereas with a good chamois you can clear it in one pass.

What the towels are better at however, is soaking up the standing water in the gaps between panels, glass, mirrors etc.

I'll persevere with them now I've spent the money anyway :)

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
the towels needed a few passes to completely clear a large panel, whereas with a good chamois you can clear it in one pass.

Not if you use a klin korea large drying towel. I just drag it across the entire car. Don't have to wring it out either. Does the whole car with one pass.

SteveW

Jul 1, 2020
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Not if you use a klin korea large drying towel. I just drag it across the entire car. Don't have to wring it out either. Does the whole car with one pass.
Dammit, now I have to go and buy ANOTHER one! :LOL:

Fortunately for my bank balance, the Klin Korea seems to be out of stock everywhere (I did look for that prior to buying the two above as I'd heard good things about it), so this is why I ended up in Halfords looking at stuff.

Still at least my Halfords Trade Card is saving me a few quid on each purchase there I guess :)

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Dammit, now I have to go and buy ANOTHER one! :LOL:

Fortunately for my bank balance, the Klin Korea seems to be out of stock everywhere (I did look for that prior to buying the two above as I'd heard good things about it), so this is why I ended up in Halfords looking at stuff.

Still at least my Halfords Trade Card is saving me a few quid on each purchase there I guess :)

Yeah, you have to keep an eye out for when the Klin stuff comes back in stock cause it just flies off the shelves. Worth it though.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I've just ordered a blower thing to help with water in the boot area and wing mirrors to stop drips. Hopefully will stop water spots on plastics etc.

SteveW

Jul 1, 2020
Salisbury, Wiltshire
I've just ordered a blower thing to help with water in the boot area and wing mirrors to stop drips. Hopefully will stop water spots on plastics etc.
What one have you ordered out of interest?

No actually, don't tell me, because then I'll want to spend even more money! :D

(No, actually, what one have you ordered? ;) :rofl: )

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
What one have you ordered out of interest?

No actually, don't tell me, because then I'll want to spend even more money! :D

(No, actually, what one have you ordered? ;) :rofl: )
Haha that's what i'm like... It's £50 on eBay as they all seem to be the same thing just different colours...

I have no idea how good it is or if it will even work for what I want but this is it

SteveW

Jul 1, 2020
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Haha that's what i'm like... It's £50 on eBay as they all seem to be the same thing just different colours...

I have no idea how good it is or if it will even work for what I want but this is it

Will be interesting to read your views on it once you've tried it.

I'm guessing buying a dog dryer is probably cheaper than a car dryer in a similar way that anything with "wedding" is more expensive even if it's exactly the same :D

Aug 28, 2020
I bought a second hand Black & Decker leaf blower to use on my motorcycle. Notoriously tricky to get all the water out of nooks and crannies. Looks a bit daft but serves a purpose and will get used on the car (when it shows up Nov/Dec time)
I've used a chamois on all my cars (really handy for those damp mornings) but I think it's time to get some large microfibre towels.

Reactions: SRGTD

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I bought a second hand Black & Decker leaf blower to use on my motorcycle. Notoriously tricky to get all the water out of nooks and crannies. Looks a bit daft but serves a purpose and will get used on the car (when it shows up Nov/Dec time)
I've used a chamois on all my cars (really handy for those damp mornings) but I think it's time to get some large microfibre towels.
Some people might think it looks daft, but if it does the job, then I wouldn’t worry about what others think.

Not a leaf blower, but I use a warm air blower on my car to dry it and have done now for 4-5 years. It’s a Metro Vac Sidekick Blaster, which due to its compact size I think is actually intended for drying motorcycles. Initially it took a bit of practice to perfect a good technique but now I’ve done that it works well and does a great job, and leaves very little water on the car for me to mop up with my drying towels - usually just a few drops. It’s especially good at getting rid of water in all those annoying water traps on a car that seem to drip for ages after you think you’ve finished. It works best on a car with some good wax or sealant protection on as it’s easier to blow water droplets off the bodywork than it is a sheet of water off a car with little or no protection on it. I’d have thought a leaf blower should also do a pretty decent job, especially if it’s a more powerful one.

The only negative for me with the Sidekick Blaster is that it’s quite noisy when it‘s used to clear water from the nooks and crannies. I’ve got round this by wearing a pair of those foam earplugs.

Reactions: Aveleydave

SteveW

Jul 1, 2020
Salisbury, Wiltshire
I've not bought a blower yet, but I have bought another towel :D

This time I went for the other Autogym one, the Insta Dry

1600855439905.png

Really impressed with it to be honest. Bit more chamois-like, but easier to wring out and dries very well with minimal passes.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members