Firmware update Arona

Nov 5, 2023
I want to update the firmware of the infotainment system (Discover media) of my 2018 Arona. I now have version 0468 and the latest is 0480. I have already downloaded that (from mibsolution.one). I watched some videos on YouTube where firmware updates were performed on Discover Media systems and after that update, after several reboots, there was a working system, but there were also videos where a system adjustment was still required after the update (with obd11 ). Is the latter, an additional system adjustment, necessary for certain systems? The system in my Arona has a glass display (8" with integrated push buttons and 2 rotary knobs) and has type no. 5QA035858B. Does my Discover Media system also need an additional system adjustment after the update?

Attachments

• IMG_20231019_140104350_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231019_140104350_HDR.jpg
    842.6 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_20231102_123341672_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231102_123341672_HDR.jpg
    732.8 KB · Views: 207

Tell

Staff member
I suspect they are clearing SVM errors. It's a flag that gets set to say the software has been changed. It doesn't effect the running of the system. It can be cleared but not the normal way.

I cover the SVM clear method here on Obdeleven

The mib2 software thread is here. What you have is a "mib2 standard". Discover Media is the VW name for it.

Nov 5, 2023
I suspect they are clearing SVM errors. It's a flag that gets set to say the software has been changed. It doesn't effect the running of the system. It can be cleared but not the normal way.

I cover the SVM clear method here on Obdeleven

The mib2 software thread is here. What you have is a "mib2 standard". Discover Media is the VW name for it.

Update performed and everything runs smoothly, in short I am happy.
Greetz

Tulips

Reactions: Tell

trucchi

Dec 10, 2023
ciao,.
I would also like to update the software of my Arona radio, I have hardware: H56, release version MOI3_EU_SE_R7810L and software installed: 0781; I know that you can get up to Software 0836. Does anyone care if there is this new software on the "https://mibsolution.one/" site?

trucchi

Dec 10, 2023
I can't same I'm up to speed on mib3 software but looking at your current release it does appear that there are later ones. SE means Seat. 0841 is listed.

View attachment 39569

You get hand holding if you buy from the sponsor site.

I reckon 841 is the latest.
Thank you very much.
I will try to purchase the software and I will tell you if everything went well. My version is quite old, I just hope that I can get to 0831 in one go, without intermediate steps.
Thanks again, you were very valuable.

trucchi

Dec 10, 2023
update for my case:
I purchased the file from the East Yorkshire Retrofit Solutions Ltd website but I'm having a problem.
I followed all the instructions to load the files onto USB sticks and followed all the steps to get to the update but my system, I don't know why, doesn't recognize my USB ports.
The "buttons" are under-highlighted and pressing them does not activate anything.

Do you have any suggestions for me?

Thank you all

1702569952462.png

Attachments

• 1702569907147.png
    1702569907147.png
    151.6 KB · Views: 64
We've replied to your email 🙂
update for my case:
I purchased the file from the East Yorkshire Retrofit Solutions Ltd website but I'm having a problem.
I followed all the instructions to load the files onto USB sticks and followed all the steps to get to the update but my system, I don't know why, doesn't recognize my USB ports.
The "buttons" are under-highlighted and pressing them does not activate anything.

Do you have any suggestions for me?

Thank you all

View attachment 39612

Reactions: trucchi and Tell
Jan 1, 2024
Hello everyone, may I ask if anyone has experience self-updating the infotainment system’s FW (from 0514 to 0516T) on a 2019 Arona without affecting the warranty? Will the car keep any error/message code record of the FW update? My Apple CarPlay does crash out occasionally and needs a reboot of the infotainment to fix but my problem is the car still has 2 year warranty... Thanks in advance for the help!

Tell

Staff member
Well a dealer would probably do it for you, free or not. On the mib2 firmware thread (link post 2 above) there was a conversation on whether 516 was better than 515 and the other way round a few years back. Then 515 disappeared from the mibsolution.one site so it became academic just leaving 516T. The later ones of 516 and 515 were recommended for fixing car play / Android auto issues. No a dealer would not pick up that the firmware has changed and wouldn't be bothered.

These DIY updates on mib2 are only an issue if you have had a retrofitter change your system to give customised performance screens. They were big at one time. Then people do their own firmware update and find the screen they paid for has gone but the standard performance screen which won't be enabled in an Arona in any case is retained. Built in ones are turned on and off by FeC codes. An update retains the FeC unless it's a customised one that updates the FeCs as well. The updates denoted by a T aren't customised.

During the firmware update you keep the engine running or on a battery and it completes after a few reboots. You don't interrupt that process. Yorkshire Retrofit provides a PDF of how to do it on their site.

A firmware update SVM message will be set in the unit which dealers ignore. They can be cleared yourself with Obdeleven Pro or VCDS etc. Those using the East Yorkshire Retrofit download or the mibsolution one won't have cleared them unless they got the coding device. They won't know they have it set. It works happily with the flag set, ditto the map update workaround message which is more pesky to clear. These days the MQB Evo platform of the Leon 4 and Formentor are so full of error messages and flags dealers don't look at them unless fault finding and passover the infotainment messages.

Clearing the SVM message if you have Obdeleven Pro I covered here

Nb. For mib2 standard you have to remain in train 5* means if it's a 5 train so updates are fine within the 5 train in this example. Mib2 standard had four or so trains 2*,3*, 4* and 5*. People want to jump trains, you can't as DIY. The likes of East Yorkshire provide or did provide a train jumping service sending the unit off too them. If you attempt to do it yourself you may end in a boot loop. Again our Yorkshire friends and associates have dug people out in the past where they have messed updates up. The units are taken a part, shorted across pins to get them sorted out. Once jump trains you can't update the unit yourself so people get told to get back on the train they came from. With later fixes the train they end up on might have the fixes. Basically VAG with mib2 standard retained the four trains and issued bug fixes to each train. Tile windows came in on later trains why people want to jump trains to switch from rotating windows to tiles.

Btw the thread started off on here as mib2, took a wander to mib3 and returned to mib2.

Reactions: Newman77
Jan 1, 2024
Thank you for the advice. I plan to contact my local SEAT dealer to resolve the issue with my CarPlay. I appreciate your help and wish you a Happy New Year!

Thank you for the advice. I plan to contact my local SEAT dealer to resolve the issue with my CarPlay. I appreciate your help and wish you a Happy New Year!
I'd weigh up whether their £80+ an hour workshop charge is worth it for an update you can perform in 30 minutes for £19.99 (unless you have warranty, then let them deal with it)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tell and Newman77