First 1,000 Miles in my 2020 Cupra ST300 - Impressions

cuthound

Jan 26, 2024
So, I've now clocked up over 1,000 miles in my ST300 since buying it at the very end of January, and have driven a mix of motorways, A&B roads and country lanes.

It has been totally reliable, but needs the heater attending to under warranty as whilst it blows hot and cold, you cannot regulate it in between, it always delivers the same tepid temperature unless set below 18 degrees or above 27 degrees. I suspect the cabin temperature sensor needs replacing.

Pros
Fast.
Feels really planted on the road, especially when pressing on.
Comfortable.
Reasonably quiet.
Great all rounder.
Fuel consumption, (saw a fraction over 40 mpg on a 400 mile motorway journey in Eco mode on Tesco Momentum and Esso Synergy Supreme).

Cons
Tyre noise.
Ride over potholes.

Overall, a jack of all trades and master of most.

I'm looking forward to the next few thousand miles.

Cubbington

Mar 26, 2024
UK
Hi There,

Nice review, and as a new owner of the same car, having covered a few more miles than you in less time(!) I think you've summed it up really well.

Not sure what tyres yours is on, but mine has Continental Sport Contact 5, all at around 4mm/just under and worn unevenly on the edges (the rears are the originals), so they are really noisy. I find the ride from them harsh too, which seems to be mentioned a lot on the tyre reviews website.

When I come to replace them I'm going to change to all-seasons; either Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen 3 (currently on my Arteon and have been really good in all conditions), or Vredestein Quatrac Pro +, whose predeccesor, the Quatrac Pro seems to come out very well for noise and comfort, based on user reviews. We've got Vredestein Quatrac 5 on my wife's Smart Fortwo and that sticks like poop to a blanket in the cold and wet!

Enjoy the car, I know I am so far!

Cheers,

Nick

Reactions: cuthound

cuthound

Jan 26, 2024
Hi There,

Nice review, and as a new owner of the same car, having covered a few more miles than you in less time(!) I think you've summed it up really well.

Not sure what tyres yours is on, but mine has Continental Sport Contact 5, all at around 4mm/just under and worn unevenly on the edges (the rears are the originals), so they are really noisy. I find the ride from them harsh too, which seems to be mentioned a lot on the tyre reviews website.

When I come to replace them I'm going to change to all-seasons; either Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen 3 (currently on my Arteon and have been really good in all conditions), or Vredestein Quatrac Pro +, whose predeccesor, the Quatrac Pro seems to come out very well for noise and comfort, based on user reviews. We've got Vredestein Quatrac 5 on my wife's Smart Fortwo and that sticks like poop to a blanket in the cold and wet!

Enjoy the car, I know I am so far!

Cheers,

Nick

Thank you.

Yes mine is on Continental Sport Contact 5's too. Sadly the fronts are brand new and the rears have 4.5 mm of tread left.

My other car is a Skoda Yeti, and I replaced the original Pirelli tyres on that with Michelin Cross Climate 2's. These dramatically reduced the road noise, especially on the concrete sections of motorways like the M25, and significantly improved the ride comfort as they absorb small road imperfections much better than the original Pirelli's. I will probably change to those or the Goodyear Vector 4Seasons, depending on which I can get the best deal on.

Last edited:

fuzzylogic

May 22, 2021
So, I've now clocked up over 1,000 miles in my ST300 since buying it at the very end of January, and have driven a mix of motorways, A&B roads and country lanes.

It has been totally reliable, but needs the heater attending to under warranty as whilst it blows hot and cold, you cannot regulate it in between, it always delivers the same tepid temperature unless set below 18 degrees or above 27 degrees. I suspect the cabin temperature sensor needs replacing.

Pros
Fast.
Feels really planted on the road, especially when pressing on.
Comfortable.
Reasonably quiet.
Great all rounder.
Fuel consumption, (saw a fraction over 40 mpg on a 400 mile motorway journey in Eco mode on Tesco Momentum and Esso Synergy Supreme).

Cons
Tyre noise.
Ride over potholes.

Overall, a jack of all trades and master of most.

I'm looking forward to the next few thousand miles.
Got a Cupra R ST ABT ditched the Conti`s went for Goodyear Assy 6. Different car much quieter and rides better.
Can get 38 - 40 mpg on A and B roads or 18 mpg depending on which one of me gets behind the wheel.

Cubbington

Mar 26, 2024
UK
You’ll be fine with the 4 Seasons!

On the Arteon they offered bet wet grip than the Cross Climate 2, and they’ve been on for somewhere between 15-20k and have hardly worn.

I’m just leaning towards the Quatracs more out of curiosity!

Reactions: cuthound
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise