First wash of 2nd hand car and seeing scratches?

Mar 15, 2021
Hi all,

I've had my Leon Cupra 300 about 2 weeks now ( bought from arnold clark) and i gave it a wash with the pressure washer. Didn't even use a sponge or anything but i am noticing alot of stone chips on the front of the bonnet and some deep scratches.

Does anyone have any advice of how to approach arnold clark with this? There are alot more scratches than i thought after cleaning it. The body work looked immaculate when i picked up the car .

I've attached a photo of the worst one thats on the bonnet. I can assure you this was not me.

Attachments

• car sratch.jpg
    car sratch.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 312

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
I reckon it would be hard to prove the scratches were there as you’ve already bought the car before mentioning it, especially with Arnold Clarke! However, it’s always worth mentioning it to them, “on closer inspection I’m not happy with the condition you sold the car”. I would not leave it to them to correct, would be best to take it to a decent detailer who can do paint correction. If the scratches appear to disappear when they are wet, they are scratches in the clear coat and should be able to sand/polish out. If not they will be deeper and need repainting, which is more of a pain

Last edited:
Reactions: SRGTD

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I reckon it would be hard to prove the scratches were there as you’ve already bought the car before mentioning it. However, it’s always worth mentioning it to them, “on closer inspection I’m not happy with the condition you sold the car”. I would not leave it to them to correct, would be best to take it to a decent detailer who can do paint correction. If the scratches appear to disappear when they are wet, they are scratches in the clear coat and should be able to sand/polish out. If not they will be deeper and need repainting, which is more of a pain
The dealer may have used a filler glaze to hide the scratches until the car was sold. Glazes will only hide paintwork imperfections for a very short time and once the glaze has been removed through washing, those imperfections will be visible again. As you’ve said, if the scratches can’t be seen when they’re wet, a good professional detailer should be able to correct the paintwork to remove them. Agree, I wouldn’t let the dealer polish them out.

@Herrwibi; another test you could try is the fingernail test; if you run a fingernail over them and they’re deep enough for your finger nail to catch in the scratch, then it’ll be necessary to repaint the bonnet. Whether the scratches can be polished out or not, it won’t be possible to polish out the stone chips - they’re probably the consequence of the previous owner driving too close the other vehicles, and being peppered with road debris. It might be possible to repair the stone chips with a paint touch up pen or a paint repair kit such as Chipex or Dr Colourchip; decent results can be achieved, although it’s likely they’ll still be visible.

Reactions: Jay5959

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
The dealer may have used a filler glaze to hide the scratches until the car was sold. Glazes will only hide paintwork imperfections for a very short time and once the glaze has been removed through washing, those imperfections will be visible again. As you’ve said, if the scratches can’t be seen when they’re wet, a good professional detailer should be able to correct the paintwork to remove them. Agree, I wouldn’t let the dealer polish them out.

@Herrwibi; another test you could try is the fingernail test; if you run a fingernail over them and they’re deep enough for your finger nail to catch in the scratch, then it’ll be necessary to repaint the bonnet. Whether the scratches can be polished out or not, it won’t be possible to polish out the stone chips - they’re probably the consequence of the previous owner driving too close the other vehicles, and being peppered with road debris. It might be possible to repair the stone chips with a paint touch up pen or a paint repair kit such as Chipex or Dr Colourchip; decent results can be achieved, although it’s likely they’ll still be visible.
That’s a good point, I would not put it past Arnold Clarke to hide them with a glaze! Definitely worth a shot going back to them and saying you’re not happy with the paintwork

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
Even if AC did listen to your concerns, would you want them trying to fix it ? I wouldn't.

The best you could hope for IMO is getting the paint work corrected at a reputable place of your choice and getting AC to contribute something towards it.

Reactions: Jay5959

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Even if AC did listen to your concerns, would you want them trying to fix it ? I wouldn't.

The best you could hope for IMO is getting the paint work corrected at a reputable place of your choice and getting AC to contribute something towards it.
I wouldn’t either. Arnold Clark do get negative press on quite a few forums, and most dealers‘ detailing experience doesn’t extend beyond their resident sponge jockey using a gritty sponge and bucket of dirty water for the complementary service wash duties on customers’ cars.

Agree, that the OP should use a reputable place of their choosing, and try and get AC to either to pick up the tab for the cost, or at least make a worthwhile contribution towards it.

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
They’d probably give it the Brillo pad treatment, swirl marked paint is all the rage nowadays!

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
If you're like me when you go and look at a new car, you're wearing 'rose-tinted glasses' and miss loads of things. I always find them once I've got it home.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I wouldn't buy a car from Arnold Clark. And for the same reasons, I wouldn't trust them to fix those scratches.

Personally, I'd chalk it up to experience and sort it out yourself.

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
I bought a black seat leon 2017 from up btistol motorline drive now. Car was gleaming on inspection. It wasnt untill i got home washed the car got the filler glaze polish off and the bottom of the car scratched and dull as a brush, bonnet was pebbledashed stone chips and boot had a dent. Had bumper and bonnet resprayed for 400 quid, Dent man done dent for 50 quid and i preped, clayed and polished the car with sonax fast cut and final finish. Cars gleaming now. Dealers arent detailers they are busineses trying to make the most money with the least cost to them( so get it done yourself)

Reactions: Mr Pig
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise