Fitting Cupra R style Side Blades

razmeister

May 28, 2018
I purchased some genuine SEAT side blades for my 2014 Cupra 280. They never came on UK Cupra models, apart from the Cupra R but the European spec cars did have them I think.

1660828387857.png

Will pay to get them sprayed as they come in black plastic but then quotes to fit them also are a bit steep.

Was thinking to give it a go myself. The instructions are as follows:

1660828599701.png
1660828634090.png
1660828690622.png

It looks like I need to use a separate glue, the self-adhesive strips as well as screws.

Am a little wary of drilling into the sills of the car but as it's a genuine SEAT part, I guess it's okay! The screws themselves look like this:

1660828982556.png

Not sure but they might be self-tapping screws, meaning I don't need to separately drill any holes(?) The instructions don't mention it but I would assume with holes in the bodywork, they should be primed and painted to prevent rust.

Has anyone here fitted these. Would appreciate some advice so that I don't screw it up! Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I purchased some genuine SEAT side blades for my 2014 Cupra 280. They never came on UK Cupra models, apart from the Cupra R but the European spec cars did have them I think.

View attachment 33336

Will pay to get them sprayed as they come in black plastic but then quotes to fit them also are a bit steep.

Was thinking to give it a go myself. The instructions are as follows:

View attachment 33337 View attachment 33338 View attachment 33339

It looks like I need to use a separate glue, the self-adhesive strips as well as screws.

Am a little wary of drilling into the sills of the car but as it's a genuine SEAT part, I guess it's okay! The screws themselves look like this:

View attachment 33340

Not sure but they might be self-tapping screws, meaning I don't need to separately drill any holes(?) The instructions don't mention it but I would assume with holes in the bodywork, they should be primed and painted to prevent rust.

Has anyone here fitted these. Would appreciate some advice so that I don't screw it up! Thanks in advance :)
I've not fitted them as they came on my car from factory (Carbon Edition came with them, and in Europe the performance pack came with them).

However, I would believe this symbol is telling you to drill a 5.5mm hole...

Although looking at it again now, below the actual image it does have some rather ambiguous info around torque. and rpm.

Unless it means you can get a drill at 1.5N @2000rpm1?

1660846246971.png

JCB360

Apr 28, 2019
Kidderminster
I've not fitted them as they came on my car from factory (Carbon Edition came with them, and in Europe the performance pack came with them).

However, I would believe this symbol is telling you to drill a 5.5mm hole...

Although looking at it again now, below the actual image it does have some rather ambiguous info around torque. and rpm.

Unless it means you can get a drill at 1.5N @2000rpm1?

View attachment 33341
Looking at the photo, the drill looks like its got a socket attachment on it and not a drill bit, so perhaps they are self tapping.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I wouldn’t be brave enough to drill holes in the sills of my car.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
I looked into these before and they only list them for FL Leons, but I have seen someone with them on their PFL Leon. Sill wise, Cannot see what the difference would be.

I'd agree with @JCB360, the 5.5mm is the socket size needed to drill the self-tapper in. DON'T drill a 5.5mm hole!!!

Reactions: JCB360

razmeister

May 28, 2018
Thanks guys! Agree with @JCB360 & @SteveGSXR600K1, it has to be referring to the head size and not the hole itself, will most certainly NOT be drilling a hole that big! @SRGTD am pretty nervous myself!

Will look through my socket attachments to see which one fits. @Damo H, have looked into the rpm / torque info re. power tools and I think it means that it needs to be on a slow setting, cordless drills apparently rotate at 2000rpm.

I reckon I'll try one to see how easy it is. If it doesn't go in easily, I might just get a pro to do it.....as this part does come on the Cupra R and the Carbon Edition, maybe dealers would know the answer to these Qs? Re. FL vs Pre-FL, there's no way that a facelift would modify the basic structure of the car, it's only new bumpers and lights in most cases....so doubt there is any difference between the two as far as this part is concerned.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCB360

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Looking at the photo, the drill looks like its got a socket attachment on it and not a drill bit, so perhaps they are self tapping.
I looked into these before and they only list them for FL Leons, but I have seen someone with them on their PFL Leon. Sill wise, Cannot see what the difference would be.

I'd agree with @JCB360, the 5.5mm is the socket size needed to drill the self-tapper in. DON'T drill a 5.5mm hole!!!
Yeah agree it looks like a socket on the drill, and that was my initial thoughts, but a 5.5mm socket seemed very odd to me, That and the picture of the screws look a lot bigger than 5mm hex end, but then there isn't anything to show real scale.

A quick google seems to suggest 5.5mm sockets and self drilling screws are about, although for roofing lol

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Thanks guys! Agree with @JCB360 & @SteveGSXR600K1, it has to be referring to the head size and not the hole itself, will most certainly NOT be drilling a hole that big! @SRGTD am pretty nervous myself!

Will look through my socket attachments to see which one fits. @Damo H, have looked into the rpm / torque info re. power tools and I think it means that it needs to be on a slow setting, cordless drills apparently rotate at 2000rpm.

I reckon I'll try one to see how easy it is. If it doesn't go in easily, I might just get a pro to do it.....as this part does come on the Cupra R and the Carbon Edition, maybe dealers would know the answer to these Qs? Re. FL vs Pre-FL, there's no way that a facelift would modify the basic structure of the car, it's only new bumpers and lights in most cases....so doubt there is any difference between the two as far as this part is concerned.
I had these fitted as an optional extra on a standard Cupra ST FL. They were removed from the options list when WLTP was introduced and changed from factory fit to dealer fit option.

To be honest, the dealers will not have a clue as they just send this to their affiliated body shop. And you couldn't do any worse than the body shop either - paint was awful and the adhesive strip failed on the first set of blades. After fighting Seat UK Exec Office they eventually agreed to replace with a second set - got told by a different VAG approved body shop what a poor job the first body shop had done. The adhesive on the second set has failed in half the time of the originals and the paint is flat - can't wait to get home from my jollies to start round two with the Exec Office.

Also have a look at the posts at the bottom of this one and in the pinned guides at the top of the main forum.

razmeister

May 28, 2018
Thanks for sharing your experience @black_sheep, sounds like an absolute nightmare! Got any pics? Based on what you've said I think I'd rather give it go myself!

Will check out the other threads and guides. Hopefully someone has given it a shot already.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I had these fitted as an optional extra on a standard Cupra ST FL. They were removed from the options list when WLTP was introduced and changed from factory fit to dealer fit option.

To be honest, the dealers will not have a clue as they just send this to their affiliated body shop. And you couldn't do any worse than the body shop either - paint was awful and the adhesive strip failed on the first set of blades. After fighting Seat UK Exec Office they eventually agreed to replace with a second set - got told by a different VAG approved body shop what a poor job the first body shop had done. The adhesive on the second set has failed in half the time of the originals and the paint is flat - can't wait to get home from my jollies to start round two with the Exec Office.

Also have a look at the posts at the bottom of this one and in the pinned guides at the top of the main forum.
This is why I had an independent garage I know of do all my work to my Mk2 and Mk3's.

My Mk 2 they fixed an "unfixable" dent on a crease (left from an inconsiderate idiot in a car park,) AND supplied, painted and fitted an aero spoiler for less than the dealer wanted to just ft the spoiler.

They also did my side skirts on my 280, and I insisted they were used to repair my 280 when it was rear ended. He body coloured my rear plastic for the new bumper too for just the cost of the paint as part of the larger insurance repair :)

They also painted the rear plastic for my Carbon too.

Worth noting he said he would not be using the adhesive supplied with the spoiler and side skirts.

@razmeister if you're not far from Lancashire I can't recommend them enough, but he's busy for a reason so expect a month or 2 wait...

Reactions: black_sheep

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
They are not self tappers or self drilling screws those. You will need a pilot hole.

However if you tiger seal those sideskirts on there is zero chance they will fall off. I have tigersealed full size skirts on before and they would not budge

razmeister

May 28, 2018
Thanks @BigJase88 - wow, is it that tough? Will deffo get a tube. I think I'll still try one hole to see how easy it is. If it turns out to be super easy / barely an inconvenience, then I might put in the screws. Will update this thread once I've given it a shot. First step is to get them painted!

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Thanks @BigJase88 - wow, is it that tough? Will deffo get a tube. I think I'll still try one hole to see how easy it is. If it turns out to be super easy / barely an inconvenience, then I might put in the screws. Will update this thread once I've given it a shot. First step is to get them painted!
Yeah it is polyeurethane bond. I have heard people have accidents and the sideskirts are the only part still on the car 🤣

The sideskirts i got for my audi a3 thats what audi stick them on with obviously their own varient at big bucks per tube.

It won't come off so make sure you get them in the right place 🤣

razmeister

May 28, 2018
Yeah it is polyeurethane bond. I have heard people have accidents and the sideskirts are the only part still on the car 🤣

The sideskirts i got for my audi a3 thats what audi stick them on with obviously their own varient at big bucks per tube.

It won't come off so make sure you get them in the right place 🤣
Lol! How long does it take to set? Is it literally instant or are there a few seconds to tweak / adjust? I'm notoriously bad for getting super glue on my fingers, will need to be extra careful! :eek:

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Lol! How long does it take to set? Is it literally instant or are there a few seconds to tweak / adjust? I'm notoriously bad for getting super glue on my fingers, will need to be extra careful! :eek:
24hrs to fully cure.

I just stuck some masking tape on to hold it.

It does have some initial grab but enough play to position it where you like

20210414_185055_IMG_6200.jpg
20210415_170818_IMG_6215.jpg

razmeister

May 28, 2018
So finally got the side blades on this weekend. A local guy painted them both for £80 which was good value and I fitted them myself using a combination of Tiger Seal and the supplied screws. Was a bit nervous screwing holes in the car but as it's an official SEAT part, I decided to go for it.

Quite happy with the finished look:

1664828366043.png

Thanks again for the advice!

Last edited:

razmeister

May 28, 2018
Hi @Tinbum51, I got them from eBay, cost me around £220:

1677958549875.png

They don't seem to be listed anymore but maybe this seller has others...

Tinbum51

Jul 27, 2019
Hi @Tinbum51, I got them from eBay, cost me around £220:

View attachment 35845

They don't seem to be listed anymore but maybe this seller has others...
This seller no longer around and the blades now listed on Ebay are over £600 now (way out of price range) !!!

Im sure i read on this forum that the Audi aero sills will fit the ST ??
These are about £150 for the A4.

1682346661985.png

Thoughts - a worthwhile alternative or not to bother??

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members