Fitting Front Shocks..

EASTABROOK

Hello... Would anyone be able to help me with fitting new front shocks to my 1994 Ibiza...

Kwik-Fit quoted £180 fitted and McConechy's wanted £150... however I found a pair for £85 delivered on ebay..

Any techniques, tools needed or anything? I really don't have £150 (or £85 really) to spend so it'd be great if I could do it in my driveway..

Cheers!! :D

EASTABROOK

Yeah I've got an OK socket set and spanners and that.. £9.50 or something for compressors on ebay, my Dad said I could probably get away with using jacks and stuff but I don't fancy that to be honest! Ball joint splitter I guess I could also get on ebay, would have to know what size I guess? And would I really need a breaker bar??

Thanks for the reply.. I don't have much working space, would I do it one side at a time?
Cheers.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
No worries bud, I just replaced all mine on my Cordoba. Gives a pm if you get stuck with alignment because there's a fair bit of movement in the strut to hub bolts.:D

Gav_F

Jul 15, 2010
make sure you adjust up the camber or you'll be getting tyre prices lol

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
You don't need a ball joint splitter

All it is 2 bolts on the hub (mark up on the hub/shock and new shock so they line up again)

The bolt on the top (if you have/know someone with a impact gun)

Then you have the strut off, then all you need is spring compressors to get the springs off :)

Then work in reverse to put back on

vngtx

13/16" socket for top strut nuts. and some vice grips to stop the shockers turning when trying to undo the nut. check top bearing while you're there.

vngtx

Then you have the strut off, then all you need is spring compressors to get the springs off :)

watch your fingers with those!! some do slip off easily and could easily put you in A+E. :rolleyes:

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Allen key fits man, unless they're fookled and I used a 21mm sparkplug socket because it has the bit at the top for a spanner and you can stick the allen key down the middle.:p

vngtx

Allen key fits man, unless they're fookled and I used a 21mm sparkplug socket because it has the bit at the top for a spanner and you can stick the allen key down the middle.:p

ive tried that but unfortunately my coilies were stripped before i even touched them :(

vngtx

if that wasnt bad enough previous owner had a broken top bearing and its been rolling around between the strut top and top mount and stripped the thread!

Gav_F

Jul 15, 2010
should only use torque wrench for wheels, everything else is FT or gunned up
but dont neccesserially need one!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.