fixed my cold start problem! yippee

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
there is a sticky on this for tdi`s but wanted to share this..

for over a year now ive had problems with surging,jerky cold starts. car starts fine but if i raise the revs to say 1500rpm at idle you can see the surging back and forth by about 300revs. ive always sat in the car till warmed up and restarted before pulling away.

since the bt conversion this has got worse. its had 2 new mafs and a temp sender.

the answer is dielectric grease! put this into the maff connector socket and it must keep dampness out. check out the tdi sticky for instructions.

my car is now smoother and possibly more responsive. bloody nice fix for 2.99!
i know a few on here have had similar issues so i hope this works for you

Chris Sheldon

I have recently tried this too and I'm not sure I have used the grease in the right place? I have greased the connections on the plug attached to what I thought was the MAF sensor (coming out of the air box) ie to the left as you look into the engine bay... I think there may have been a slight improvement in the response of the engine but still have the 'wobbling' idle. how much grease did you use traumapat?

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
I have recently tried this too and I'm not sure I have used the grease in the right place? I have greased the connections on the plug attached to what I thought was the MAF sensor (coming out of the air box) ie to the left as you look into the engine bay... I think there may have been a slight improvement in the response of the engine but still have the 'wobbling' idle. how much grease did you use traumapat?

ok looking at your black air filter box. theres a large black pipe coming out of it going towards the engine. almost straight away youll see an electrical cable , mines sheathed in a ribbed covering, attached to this pipe. theres a big connector at the end , plugged into that black pipe. it unclips by pushing a tab in.
once its disconnected the female end has 5 holes. my one only seemed to use 4 of them. i applied a blob over each hole and reconnected. i did it twice... so 2 blobs each hole. thats it. check the pics out in the thread link above.

sorry if that was obvious, but not sure of your knowledge.

so is your wobberly idle continuous? as soon as you pull up its struggling? or does it dissapear as the car warms up?

Chris Sheldon

cheers mate, I did exactly the same as you, but unfortunately I haven't lost the problem totally. I also used the grease on the Coolant Temperature sensor (the green top one) and the sensor in the coolant expansion tank (purely becuase I thought it would do no harm and I had some left in the sachet I opened). I do still have the 'wobbly' idle, but this improves (although never disappears) when it warms up, and there is also that hesitancy / struggle when pulling away from cold... any ideas?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.