Fixed Price Maintenance

sm_allen

I am currently haggling with a local dealer (Penman Darlington) for a Leon TDI FR. I noticed in the showroom a leaflet about "Fixed Price Maintenance". When I asked the dealer he just waffled a bit and changed the subject.

Tried phoning the number in the leaflet, gave up after being on hold for 5-10 minutes.

Does anyone know how much the "Service Only Plan" is for the Leon TDI FR over say 3 years and 45,000 miles?

The leaflet mentions that the price can be paid monthly or in a single up front payment.

badgerade

Can't remember exactly but I think the price I was quoted was about £20 for the service only plan and about £25 for the next level up which included consumable parts, eg brake pads etc. not covered by warranty. There was another option that included tyres as well but think that was a fair bit more...

Aug 20, 2005
stafford
I have mine on "service only" for 30k over 3 yrs (taken out last month) for £11.82 x36 which is £425 over the period covering 3 services and a brake fluid
a lot cheaper than paying £682 which is what it would cost at the counter in my local dealers.
Your mileage would incur a 4th service (the expensive one) so would obviously be more per month, but as you can see from my figures it will still be cheaper "IF" you want it done at a main dealer
I think 12k per yr x3 was £13.35 per month but still only payed for the 3 services, so I opted for 10k x 3yrs instead.

sm_allen

Guess I will have to perserve with the telephone. My major concern with the FR is the servicing costs. Sounds like the fixed payment scheme is a wise choice (well at least for the warranty period)

markfranklin

Mar 24, 2007
Have you thought about leasing? Admittedly mine is a "company car" but in effect it is a leasing arrangement. I pay a fixed amount per month and it covers everything (I mean everything) - apart from the actual fuel I put in it, everything is paid for eg road tax, tyres, accidental dings, etc.

I did a few sums and worked out that if I bought a car myself and suffered the drawbacks of ownership (inc. depreciation and cost of funding), the leasing option worked out slightly better.

I find the peace of mind of this fixed monthly sum arrangement is really excellent.

Aug 20, 2005
stafford
Your dealer is the one who arranges the fixed price maintenance, it was the finance guy in mine. Try phoning him/her as prices do fluctuate as seat put em up or down. It was very simple to arrange. Just signed one form the dealer prints off and the direct debit or you can pay in one go, however there is "No" interest charged by paying monthly

Stiggy

Oct 20, 2003
Loughborough
Visit site
I went for the fixed service, maintenance & tyre plan. Basicly it covers all servicing & wear n tear costs for 3yrs as long as I don't do more than 10,000 miles per year which I never have. Cost is £33.56 per month £1208.16 for the 3 years.

Sevicing costs were £155, £250 & £250 plus any replacement brake pads & discs etc. Which I will get thru as the car is a DSG.

I go thru a set of fronts every 10 months & a set of rears every 18 or so I work that out to be around 6 replacement tyres in a 3 year period. Even if you average £100 per corner that's half my money back already The terms & conditions say they have to be Premium brand tyres but they have a list & you are restricted to that list.

So all in all it works out to just about cover itself & if you need any repacement part not covered by Warranty eg Wear & Tear then you have something in place to take care of it. I think for Piece of mind it worth it.

SEATcarsdirect.co.uk

i can get the exact prices if you would like

just give me a call

Irfan

sm_allen

Yes please. Service only plans over 3 years and 40,000 miles.

SEATcarsdirect.co.uk

£46.23 per month

and if you havent already baught the car let me know and i will see if i can do you a better deal

Irfan

s3quence

Aug 16, 2007
Nr Milton Keynes
I have mine on "service only" for 30k over 3 yrs (taken out last month) for £11.82 x36 which is £425 over the period covering 3 services and a brake fluid
a lot cheaper than paying £682 which is what it would cost at the counter in my local dealers.
Your mileage would incur a 4th service (the expensive one) so would obviously be more per month, but as you can see from my figures it will still be cheaper "IF" you want it done at a main dealer
I think 12k per yr x3 was £13.35 per month but still only payed for the 3 services, so I opted for 10k x 3yrs instead.

So for £11 a month will get you your services over 3 yrs? Seems worth it where is the catch? Is it just that it guarantees the garage the custom over the 3 yrs?

If the maintenance one is not much more that seems even more worth it as I have gone through 4 tyres in the last yr on my skoda at approx £90 a tyre!

sm_allen

£46.23 per month

and if you havent already baught the car let me know and i will see if i can do you a better deal

Irfan

Correct me if I am wrong, but 36 x 46.23 = £1664.28 for 3 years/40,000 miles of servicing seems very steep. As I understand it, 3 years/40,000 miles equates to 4 Services and 1 brake fluid change?

Works out at about £300-400 per service.....

I have been offered a basic FR TDI for £16,000, and £10,000 for my 55 reg Mini Cooper (which seem reasonable)

s3quence

Aug 16, 2007
Nr Milton Keynes
Correct me if I am wrong, but 36 x 46.23 = £1664.28 for 3 years/40,000 miles of servicing seems very steep. As I understand it, 3 years/40,000 miles equates to 4 Services and 1 brake fluid change?

I have been offered a basic FR TDI for £16,000, and £10,000 for my 55 reg Mini Cooper (which seem reasonable)

Maybe he meant £46.23 for 3 yrs! ill take that!! :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Stuart83

Jan 2, 2007
Tamworth, Midlands
I've got an FR TDi with a maintenance package that covers me for 45k miles over 3 yrs - costs me £25 a month.

When i was in the local dealer (Coventry) having a service the other day, I did some sums..... I worked out it from their service price board that it's cheaper to take out an agreement than pay for the 4 services separately, AND I get all my brakes etc covered, an MOT at the end of 3 yrs, AND another yr of breakdown cover. After owning a Clio 172 which needed front and rear pads and disks, and an exhaust within 40k miles, I'm glad I took the mid option :)

Figure since the services by themselves would have cost me more, everything else I get is a bonus!

Proper bargain.

SEATcarsdirect.co.uk

oh sorry i quoted for 40k per year

will re do them tomorrow

Irfan

sm_allen

Hi Irfan

Did you have a chance to recalculate the price?

Cheers

SEATcarsdirect.co.uk

as long as the car is not over 10k miles or had its first service then yes you can

give me a call and i can probably set it up for you

Irfan

toNes

Jun 26, 2007
London
as long as the car is not over 10k miles or had its first service then yes you can

give me a call and i can probably set it up for you

Irfan

shouldn't he go to his local dealer in 'boro rather than setting it up with you in london?!? :rolleyes:

On a side note, my old Leon Mk 2 had 2 bald rear tyres (due to mis-alignment with wheels I think - dealers fault as I had only done 18k miles) which were replaced FOC on my Fixed cost maintenance contract - I had the full works!

If I wasn't on the contract then I would have probably paid about £120+ for each tyre (Was running 17" Dunlop Sport Maxx).....

Though the tyres that National (who are the contractors for tyres under the FCM) fitted were Conti Sport contacts I think.......

I think if you're doing loads of mileage in the car (like me) then it's worth taking out because tyres cost an arm and a leg (especially now that I've got a FR with 18"s)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.