FMIC on a budget

Oct 21, 2020
Anyone know a decent FMIC that's around or less than £250? For a Leon Cupra - I did a search on the forums and found some links to recommended budget options but half of these links are 5+ years old and have expired or the product doesn't exist anymore so I'm having trouble finding anything other than the cheap ebay kits for about £150 but they don't look like they're going to last very long.

This is probably what I'd be looking for (only reason I've not ordered is because out of stock): https://www.txautosport.co.uk/produ...t-mount-intercooler-kit?variant=7288946196543

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I've had this exact kit on one of my breakers and the intercooler is very small and for similar money you buy a much larger and efficient one if you can be bothered to buy the bits separately.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Oct 21, 2020
I've had this exact kit on one of my breakers and the intercooler is very small and for similar money you buy a much larger and efficient one if you can be bothered to buy the bits separately.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Definitely happy to go with buying the parts separately not too confident I'd be ordering the right fit etc though. I was under the impression that the reason for the intercooler being small is due to the smack bar being in the way, would it not need a bit of cutting to go bigger?

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
The airtec style fit behind the smack and have sufficient space above and below to allow for decent cooling , you could drill holes in it though or even cut it out and weld a round bar between the ends - I have seen both done - but would not want to cut the smack bar out completely.
The smaller units may not pass enough air flow to cool properly and could be worse than the oem - so need to watch that.

LCR AL

Jun 5, 2020
Hopefully its not breaking the rules linking another forum...
I book marked this for possibly doing this to my sons car.
Has a list of all pipe sizes, hoses etc.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
All of the pre made kits appear to be ko4 LcR kits. I have had a brief look for the ko3s and when the time comes will pick the brains of someone who knows exactly what components I will need. Everything is cheaper if you buy the pieces and assemble your own kit for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Hi mate,

There's a ton of threads on this topic, I have been through this job recently on my LC and made a bunch of notes but really it comes down to what you want in terms of fitment/routing and IC core size

Consider the effective space in your bumper for airflow to the FMIC, no point getting something hidden behind the bumper.

https://18t-tuning.co.uk/intercoolers/
this website gives you an idea of core sizes and some good picture examples

This thread shows you another good core size and DIY set up, although using a BAM manifold.

google search "auq fmic" and youll be overloaded with results

I have a "kit" but it fits pretty terrible and im going to redo the pipe work eventually. The core isn’t huge but it’s effective.

c359debf7f51961b1c1aca1548340870.jpg

e273a81b5a870a7717065e37da0526fd.jpg

2dadb0cd15c5596816e69edd14850a79.jpg

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Hi mate,

There's a ton of threads on this topic, I have been through this job recently on my LC and made a bunch of notes but really it comes down to what you want in terms of fitment/routing and IC core size

Consider the effective space in your bumper for airflow to the FMIC, no point getting something hidden behind the bumper.

https://18t-tuning.co.uk/intercoolers/
this website gives you an idea of core sizes and some good picture examples

This thread shows you another good core size and DIY set up, although using a BAM manifold.

google search "auq fmic" and youll be overloaded with results

I have a "kit" but it fits pretty terrible and im going to redo the pipe work eventually. The core isn’t huge but it’s effective.

c359debf7f51961b1c1aca1548340870.jpg

e273a81b5a870a7717065e37da0526fd.jpg

2dadb0cd15c5596816e69edd14850a79.jpg

Yeah I’ve traveled through hundreds of pages. Different pipe sizes core sizes hoses connections etc..... as you said it’s all down to what you’re after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.