Formentor V2 150 - catastrophic driver aid failures?

Dec 19, 2022
Hi All,
New Formentor owner, got my new V2 150 about 6 days ago, done about 160 miles.
Love the look and feel of the car and the driving experience. Well, most of it.

Today I was out driving on an A-road and the car shut down the driver aids, including the power steering assist, and almost killed me! (I was almost not quick enough to catch the failure and react accordingly - I had to pull it over hard with non-assisted steering to avoid going into oncoming traffic). Quite a shocker - LOL.

Anyway, there are 9 lights on the dash now and I've called SEAT/VW who are sending a mechanic.

So the reason for the post is to see if any other owners of brand-new Cupra Formentors have had the same thing? Anyone else experience this?

This is the dash when I start-up:

And these are some of the lights that go on:
Cupra-Failure1.jpg

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
Jesus... Happy to say I've never experienced that, or heard of it before. Good you're okay! That right there needs fixing

Reactions: bobmiller900

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
Well, at least it tells you to take it to the service, how else would you have known???:eek: NOT FUNNY at all and its also the first time I see so many systems failing and especially failing to control the car. Could be the next time you start it up to have all disappeared but that should not comfort you, better to still be there so the dealer can take a serious look at it. It is common, even in mine, to have thus far a few glitches, like the park pilot or emergency braking or manoeuvring to show being temporarily off but never a case of not been able to control the car. On my next start up they disappear, also the radio/infotainment system failed to start /load a couple of times, I long pressed the power touch button a couple of times and it came back to its senses.

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
First time I've heard about this type of catastrophic failure and I am here off and on for almost 2 years.

Usually people complain their front assist is not working but never did I hear about power steering issue.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
My 2.0 190 went crazy a couple of months after getting it.
lots of warnings coming up on the dash ( I think I had 7 of them ) a few mins after starting the car.
It turned out to be a wiring issue although they wern't very forthcoming with where the issue was.
No issues since I got it back.

Dec 19, 2022
Thanks to all for the comments.
Got it to SEAT Milton Keynes and they looked at it and found the steering rack had broken (although I think it was the pump or controller as I was still able to drive it, with a lot of effort, but still able.)
Cost - about £2,400 normally, but of course, it's covered by the warranty.
Problem - no parts! they have an Ateca there that uses the same part, and its been on jacks "for weeks" (Service manager was very open and honest). I've asked the finance company to cancel the car and contract, will see where that goes.
Now I have to drive some P.o.S. rental (4 days in and still waiting for that...) for what will probably be a month or two.
I wish I'd never seen this car...

st4niu

Dec 22, 2022
Got it to SEAT Milton Keynes and they looked at it and found the steering rack had broken (although I think it was the pump or controller as I was still able to drive it, with a lot of effort, but still able.)
Problem - no parts! they have an Ateca there that uses the same part, and its been on jacks "for weeks" (Service manager was very open and honest). I've asked the finance company to cancel the car and contract, will see where that goes.
Now I have to drive some P.o.S. rental (4 days in and still waiting for that...) for what will probably be a month or two.
Well, it's not like shortage of parts is only Cupra/Seat/VW problem. It's more common across the brands I think. The bigger issue is how today's cars are made. In past 6 months I had chance to drive new Mercedes E class, BMW m550 or Audi RS5 - all made in 2021 or 2022 and they also have issues. I switched from '15 BMW 4 and that car never had any problems with parking sensors or radar in front grill. Everything was running smooth. Well yea - cars made few years ago had some problems here and there but not remotely close to what is happening today. Lack of quality control or something? It feels like with those one time razor blades:) Use few times and throw away.

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
I feel your pain. I had an Astra GTC about 10 years back (yeah I know...) and two weeks into ownership a kinked Aircon pipe backed up with water and pissed water all over one of the control units and pretty much fried the electrics. They had the ECU in stock but not the pipe, which was on back order from Vauxhall. It was in the dealers for 6 weeks waiting, they had new (stock) cars in with the new pipe fitted, but refused to take it off one of those. They gave me a Hyundai i30 basic model as a courtesy car, and when I complained 4.weeks in the service manager said "what's the problem, we've given you a car to use.". I went ballistic at the dealer principal and eventually managed to get an Insignia for the remaining two weeks, but still an absolute **** show. Sold the car less than 12 months later as I hated the brand, and hated the car. A bit like the same way I'm going with the Formentor actually 😂.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
‘Borrowed‘ a part from a new car to get someone on the road often, new part then goes on stock vehicle, it’s all about good customer relations, something that seems sadly lacking now.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Reminds me of back in 1985 when I picked up a brand new Mini, and driving it back home the interior mirror kept moving about. When home I checked it and found a sucker that should stick to the window was missing, so back to the dealer. I went to the salesman and he sent me to the parts section, who asked me to book the car in to be checked. I told him I had just collected the car that morning and they said I still had to book in, I asked if they could take one off a showroom car but no joy there either. So I just went and took one off myself and never went back to Applyard in Edinburgh again.