FR 1.4 TSI vs 1.5 TSI ST?

Yoshi

Mar 8, 2023
Hi guys,

looking at test driving a 1.4 FR TSI estate leon and a 1.5 FR TSI as well (both 150ps).

Is one engine known to be better than the other? I did see somewhere the 1.4 TSI is more favourable?

I originally was looking for the FR 2L TSI engine but they seem to be getting on for £20,000 and the MPG is very close to the 2005 GTI golf I currently have.

My current mk5 GTI was 197hp from factory but that was almost 20 years ago. I'm thinking maybe a 1.4/1.5 TSI (150ps) with a possible remap (don't mind a small power loss for 40+mpg).

With using the car for business and carrying my mountain bike around I could see how I get on with the 1.4/1.5 TSI engine then upgrade in the future if I feel the need.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
To answer your question - the 1.4 I would say has a better reputation than the 1.5 on the forums.
Personally I don't believe ALL the millions of 1.5's sold suffer 'kangarooing' so just test drive one. If it drives fine for you then great.

But before you buy any car - I think you need to be clear on what you actually want from this car? You seem a little conflicted - to go from a Cupra - to a 1.4tsi! is quite a U turn.

Do the calcs on how many miles do a year - and the potential fuel savings/running costs/Insurance you'll expect?
Then factor in the depreciation of a 20k car!

I have found the honest john 'real mpg' website to give a reasonable estimate of the scope (max & min) for MPG you can expect out of various cars.

If MPG is very important for you, why don't you get a TDI?

Yoshi

Mar 8, 2023
To answer your question - the 1.4 I would say has a better reputation than the 1.5 on the forums.
Personally I don't believe ALL the millions of 1.5's sold suffer 'kangarooing' so just test drive one. If it drives fine for you then great.

But before you buy any car - I think you need to be clear on what you actually want from this car? You seem a little conflicted - to go from a Cupra - to a 1.4tsi! is quite a U turn.

Do the calcs on how many miles do a year - and the potential fuel savings/running costs/Insurance you'll expect?
Then factor in the depreciation of a 20k car!

I have found the honest john 'real mpg' website to give a reasonable estimate of the scope (max & min) for MPG you can expect out of various cars.

If MPG is very important for you, why don't you get a TDI?

Thank you for the reply :)

I've ruled out the Cupra to be honest so it's out of a 1.4/1,5 tsi or the 2L really. The 2L TSI FR Estates seem very rare as well?

I did consider a mk7 golf gtd estate but I am only doing 6-7k miles a year and most of those are less than 15-20 miles round trips. As I have to track my business and personal miles so far this year i've done 1500

Ideally i'm looking to put 7k down and pay less than £150/month (seems for that money the car would be around £15,000)

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
If you are getting a 1.5 TSI make sure its the 150bhp and an Auto. The Auto will mask any hesitation if it does have one.

Also the 1.5TSI 130 is a dead duck so just avoid that completely.

I had a 130 Manual and my friend has a A3 150 Auto and the difference in them is astonishing

Reactions: Yoshi

Yoshi

Mar 8, 2023
If you are getting a 1.5 TSI make sure its the 150bhp and an Auto. The Auto will mask any hesitation if it does have one.

Also the 1.5TSI 130 is a dead duck so just avoid that completely.

I had a 130 Manual and my friend has a A3 150 Auto and the difference in them is astonishing

Comparing the 2L version to the 1.4 because I only do 6000-7000 (did 7000 on the mpg calculator) I would be saving £100-£200 annually by going with the 1.4. (using the average mpg from honest john) Suppose it makes sense to get the 2L FR estate really IF I can find one :D