FR folding mirror sticking

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
I have my mirrors set to fold/unfold on locking/unlocking the car. No issues with it for ages.

Yestarday, my drivers side mirror only partly folded in when locked and on unlock it wouldn't do anything. The passenger side seems to work fine, albeit with a slight delay while it seems to wait to see what the drivers side is doing. The drivers side seems to make a bit of a noise, as if it were trying to do something but not all of the time.

Since it is unusable foled in, I can manually move the mirror so it either clicks into place fully folded in or effectively pointing forwards (see pics). At the moment it's in between those 2 positions so that the mirror is on the right place to use whilst driving but it isn't clicked into place and will probably wobble slightly when driving.

Electrics still work for adjustment.

I've turned off the lock/unlock fold and will be able to at least drive with mirrors. I do need to sort it though.

I've read another post with similar issues but it didn't really answer my question.

I'm not keen to start pulling door cards off etc. Is this likely to be something popped out of place or a dead/dying motor and I need to replace?

Can I take the mirror cover off to have a look or will this not tell me anything?

DSC_8837.JPG
DSC_8836.JPG

Open to any ideas before I have to take the plunge with new parts etc.

Thanks.

Leeon

Sep 4, 2014
I have my mirrors set to fold/unfold on locking/unlocking the car. No issues with it for ages.

Yestarday, my drivers side mirror only partly folded in when locked and on unlock it wouldn't do anything. The passenger side seems to work fine, albeit with a slight delay while it seems to wait to see what the drivers side is doing. The drivers side seems to make a bit of a noise, as if it were trying to do something but not all of the time.

Since it is unusable foled in, I can manually move the mirror so it either clicks into place fully folded in or effectively pointing forwards (see pics). At the moment it's in between those 2 positions so that the mirror is on the right place to use whilst driving but it isn't clicked into place and will probably wobble slightly when driving.

Electrics still work for adjustment.

I've turned off the lock/unlock fold and will be able to at least drive with mirrors. I do need to sort it though.

I've read another post with similar issues but it didn't really answer my question.

I'm not keen to start pulling door cards off etc. Is this likely to be something popped out of place or a dead/dying motor and I need to replace?

Can I take the mirror cover off to have a look or will this not tell me anything?

View attachment 20125 View attachment 20126

Open to any ideas before I have to take the plunge with new parts etc.

Thanks.
Hey Brian, did you manage to solve this wing mirror issue, my 2014 ST has done this from today. cheers

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Hey Brian, did you manage to solve this wing mirror issue, my 2014 ST has done this from today. cheers
Hiya,

Yes - I bought one of these:

Watch this;

And this:

Buy some of these:

You may need some of these for the door card as some still break/weaken when you remove them:

You can also carefully remove your existing colour coded mirror cover and fit it on the new one.

Who thing takes about an hour. The videos work for N/S or O/S. The ebay link is for drivers side (O/S).

Leeon

Sep 4, 2014
Cheers buddy I was assuming that was the route to go down, how annoying, only had the car 2 weeks (bought private)

Reactions: BillyCool

Leeon

Sep 4, 2014
2nd hand mirror from a 2019 car and new set of trim removal tools and i've done it without breaking a clip, thanks for links to videos

Reactions: BillyCool
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.