FR (petrol) or Honda Civic ?

dafe01

Apr 8, 2008
Kent/London
:clap:Hi I have just joined the site after having been popping onto the forum to read through several very informative threads. My dilema is that i am unsure whether to go for Seat FR (petrol) or the Honda Civic with its innovative looks. I have been struggling with this dilemma for quite some time and thought that i would seek some impartial (ha ha) advice from you guys.
I have test driven them both and the FR is more of a drivers car, but the Civic is very different to any other car outthere at the moment so still undecided.

Can ya help?

Last edited by a moderator:

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
i know 2 people that have new type r's, both on 07 plates.

one is waiting to pick up his new clio sport on may 1st, and the other has ordered an s3 after numerous gearbox problems.

what does that tell you?

PhilYerBoots

Jan 1, 2008
I also drove both before going for the Leon...and have no regrets so far..:)

I found the Type R's ride even harder than the FR and it needs the revs to release its power...whereas the FR has plenty on tap lower down the range and as you say just feels a better drivers car to me...:D

I had a bit of a battle with the missus though as she preferred the Civic's interior and looks...but she saw sense in the end once we tried the DSG version...;)

HarryKatinnen

:clap:Hi I have just joined the site after having been popping onto the forum to read through several very informative threads. My dilema is that i am unsure whether to go for Seat FR (petrol) or the Honda Civic with its innovative looks. I have been struggling with this dilemma for quite some time and thought that i would seek some impartial (ha ha) advice from you guys.
I have test driven them both and the FR is more of a drivers car, but the Civic is very different to any other car outthere at the moment so still undecided.

Can ya help?

Having owned a Seat Leon Sport 140TDI, test driven and almost bought a Type R and now driving A Civic Type S 2.2 Diesel I would make the following observations:-

Type R will probably just pip the Leon in the handling stakes in the dry but ride suffers as a result (can be fidgety) and it lacks some front end grip when turning in in the wet.

Type R is really more the true drivers car as being normally aspirated and high reving it requires more driver input to get the best out of it...the turbo option requires less work in the gearchange department etc

Of course compared to a turbo car the type R lacks torque and needs to be worked hard....if you do fuel economy will suffer (hence why I settled on type s diesel but this may not be important to you).

Despite lack of torque Type R is deceptively quick and the sound when vtecing is positively enticing, the Leons sound won't give you the same grin factor.

On a pratical note both cars have good packaging but of course the Seat has advantage of being a five door that looks like a three door. As Type R seats have no memory you will be constantly trying to find that perfect driving position again if you have people getting in the back. Also there is the well publicised matter of (lack of)rear visibility as Type R has no wash wipe or demister on lower screen....personally I dont find it an issue and I have to reverse off my drive every morning (larger side mirrors on the Honda help) but I had reversing sensors on both Leon and the Type S as a precaution...oh and just in case you do have to tow anything like a jet ski the Type R has no towing capability. The interior of the Honda is a nicer place to be but the fussy display can become a little wearing on the eye after a while.

Finally despite Hondas reputation Type R has a number of known issues....early examples prone to 3rd gear issues, extremly thin paint, annoying rattles in the dash and the latest includes early signs of rust on inner door tops...however I am sure if you trawl this forum you will find people who have had similar issues with the Leon.

In the end they are both great cars and whilst in the Honda now I certainly wouldn't rule out returning to Seat stable in the future. Take a few more test drives in each make up your own mind and enjoy whichever you decide to go for.

RS4Barry

Feb 25, 2002
Fife
Visit site
Type R will probably just pip the Leon in the handling stakes in the dry but ride suffers as a result (can be fidgety) and it lacks some front end grip when turning in in the wet.

Type R is really more the true drivers car as being normally aspirated and high reving it requires more driver input to get the best out of it...the turbo option requires less work in the gearchange department etc

Of course compared to a turbo car the type R lacks torque and needs to be worked hard....if you do fuel economy will suffer (hence why I settled on type s diesel but this may not be important to you).

Presume your talking about the old shape type R which was a fantastic car - the new civic has lost many of the features that made the old type R such a great drivers car. The new civic due to cost cutting has lost the trick rear suspension that the old one had making it much less sharp to drive. I reckon it's the other way round now and that the sportier mk 5 based cars and indeed the Focus have the edge on the new civic type R. Although I must admit Hondas 2.2 diesel is leaps and bounds ahead of anything in the VAG soot chucker stable.

mode

Apr 27, 2007
North Wales
I nearly bought a civic but having test driven three civics from three dealers all with rattles squeeks and electrical faults i looked for something else and found the Leon, if you want to check up on the civic their website is CIVINFO, you will be shocked by the faults......

Aug 20, 2005
stafford
type r, is only available in 3 door which is the major reason I never got one with kids, and trying to convince the wife:blink: Really had to go diesel too with my daily comute.
The only thing that put me off a 5 door diesel civic was the short back doors, its a bit trickier to get in the back if your an adult than the leon...... New leon is much bigger than the old one in the back......and front for that matter.

wobblelino

Feb 7, 2008
Herts
according to topgear the new civic is useless! Spoiler in the middle of the back doesn't help and too many switches etc. Apparently the older version is much better though the new one looks the part.

All in all, the leon is great and not as many out there.

flakmunky

Olympic Knitting Champion
Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
Can't see $hit out the back - I've driven one - and the $tealers think they are 'rarer than hens teeth' and 'they are selling all of their allocations in days' so they think they have you over a barrel...

PhilYerBoots

Jan 1, 2008

Agree with most of your observations there Harry, and yes - I suppose the Type R demands a higher level of driver skill/involvment to get the best out of it, so it depends how you define 'drivers car' really. My definition would include a flexible engine that lets lesser mortals get on with the job of driving the car to its full potential (when you want to..) and in the case of the DSG choosing how involved you want to get with the flappy paddle option...
..OK so I really mean its a lazy 'drivers car'....:D

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
according to topgear the new civic is useless! Spoiler in the middle of the back doesn't help and too many switches etc. Apparently the older version is much better though the new one looks the part.

According to the Top Gear TV program, however in the magazine the reviews were very good, I think it even won an award (Type R).

As for being rare, you certainly see more of them than mk2 Cupra's.

mode

Apr 27, 2007
North Wales

Theres all kind of weird ideas on the civic like why do you have to turn a key then press a start button to start the engine?? Should be keyless or not....

sfalcus

Mar 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
new ctr had rings ran round it by the old ctr on top gear, my mate also has the old type r and we pulled away from the new one quite easily.

nice dash etc but why spoil the suspension?

mate in scotland traded his new ctr in after 6 weeks to get a 2.2 I-CDTI, remapped to 192 bhp and suppsedly flies!

GhostMjr

Dec 27, 2007
I just got my 2008 1.4 tsi turbo leon and am loving it :). I got in the civic and i couldn't believe my eyes, i didn't even take it for a test drive. It was like a spaceship and basically told the dealer my thoughts and said i simply wasn't interested, it is obviously alot more popular than the leon as i was being chased by seat dealerships alot more than the honda dealer. It's a shame that people just buy the norm and don't try new cars like the seat leon with its stylish looks.

ckempo

Mar 5, 2008
Burntwood
Well... on the basis of having my FR for a month and tearing past every Civic I've seen (and I've been looking, trust me :) ) I'd go for the FR.

I had a guy in a new Civic try it, caught me unaware and did me at 60-odd, waving on the way - until I put my foot down, went past him and beeped - not sure the one-finger salute he was giving me was car envy of the FR, or denial that he was being overtaken and I wasn't really trying! :funk:

Go for the Leon. You'll love it.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Cupra :funk:

New type R has a nice interior, a nice engine and jap relibaility, but thats about it. The new Seat Leon Cupra murders the new Type R's and in real world driving, the FR would beat the Type R too.

Fergal84

Aug 23, 2007
it is obviously alot more popular than the leon as i was being chased by seat dealerships alot more than the honda dealer. It's a shame that people just buy the norm and don't try new cars like the seat leon with its stylish looks.

I get basically ignored by my local seat stealer whenever i go in, but am getting bombarded by honda after i went in for a quick look at the type r

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.