FR tdi - better performance :-)

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
my FR is 11000 miles old and has suddenly developed more power and better mpg :D
Im not an economy freak and even tho its remapped, I always got 38-39 mpg on an average over a few tanks. It has been running on local supermarket diesel but always with Millers additive.
Now, after switching to standard BP/Shell fuel (not the 'ultimate' or 'v-power') it seems much sharper and faster thru the gears. Also average mpg has gone to 42-43 over the last 500 miles. I also stopped tanking up, now I just stick in £20 a time which logically enough means Im no longer carrying the weight of an extra passenger.
Just wondered if anyone else has found this difference with city diesel vs 'proper' stuff?
Am I just being sad, and maybe the car has just loosened up after putting some miles on :confused:
Perhaps its just the cold weather making it burn better????????

BlackMagicLeon

Jun 11, 2008
Hampshire
Probably a combination of all the above!

They tested 'premium' diesels on Fifth Gear a couple of weeks ago and they reckoned they gave about a 6 bhp improvement over standard derv..

cable

God I wish I could get that mpg around Belfast, mine has plummeted during winter on the approach to 12k miles old to an average of about 30-34 at the moment and that's driving like a granny!(mostly :whistle:)

Tried the BP Ultimate a couple of weeks ago though and the car felt alot more responsive and smooth, not much difference in MPG. Used to get a couple of miles more to the gallon out of shell over the rest but none of it about in NI anymore.

Billy_123

Jan 23, 2008
Got mine back Wednesday from the dealers after the windscreen was replaced under warranty and it seems to be pulling so much better than when it went in. Mines done just over 12k. I did think it could be coz of the slow Ibiza they lent me as a courtesy car but I thought the same again today when I drove it. Want to get mine mapped but I worry to much about voiding the warranty

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
I noticed this with mines once it it 10K, the car suddenly had a bit more go to it. I have always fuelled with proper diesel as opposed to the Supermarket stuff and have used Millers (in fact need more of the stuff) in it.
Hoping that it might loosen up a bit more now that I am nearing 20K :D
Alex

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
my FR is 11000 miles old and has suddenly developed more power and better mpg :D
Im not an economy freak and even tho its remapped, I always got 38-39 mpg on an average over a few tanks. It has been running on local supermarket diesel but always with Millers additive.
Now, after switching to standard BP/Shell fuel (not the 'ultimate' or 'v-power') it seems much sharper and faster thru the gears. Also average mpg has gone to 42-43 over the last 500 miles. I also stopped tanking up, now I just stick in £20 a time which logically enough means Im no longer carrying the weight of an extra passenger.
Just wondered if anyone else has found this difference with city diesel vs 'proper' stuff?
Am I just being sad, and maybe the car has just loosened up after putting some miles on :confused:
Perhaps its just the cold weather making it burn better????????

I think your last comment VERY relevant - all cars like cold weather. ......................

FRLeon

Full Memeber
May 12, 2007
Northants
My leon runs bad on bp fuel its wierd but if i fill up wit shell diesel it runs a lot better and its done 22k and it seems 2 go quicker now it done over 20k

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
God I wish I could get that mpg around Belfast, mine has plummeted during winter on the approach to 12k miles old to an average of about 30-34 at the moment and that's driving like a granny!(mostly :whistle:)

Tried the BP Ultimate a couple of weeks ago though and the car felt alot more responsive and smooth, not much difference in MPG. Used to get a couple of miles more to the gallon out of shell over the rest but none of it about in NI anymore.

Just imagine what a Cupra would do then :lol:
To be fair Im not citybound too often but the speed cameras to Bangor are a pain although they make for amazing mpg on a clear run ;) Its the weekend runs where I have my real fun :D

Space Coyote

May 12, 2003
Derbyshire
Visit site
I think your last comment VERY relevant - all cars like cold weather. ......................

On diesels, isn't the denser air cancelled out by the winter fuel though?

Thought cold weather diesel was thicker to prevent sludging and reduces MPG?

My MPG's been way down recently, gone from 50+ to 42-45 MPG and that's with Millers and Shell diesel (not the premium stuff though).

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.