Full-on detail and tutorial

FinerDetails

Official SCN Supporter
I know this car wasn't a SEAT but its the same met black as the seats, and the detail is worth sharing with you guys, its very rare I put a non-SEAt car in here but think you'd appreciate this one!! ;) ;) ;)

Back again to a customer of mine, this is the daily runner for work etc. Its used for going up and done the farm lane, and its shows! I was joined today by Paul - along for a tutorial, and to see how the PC and rotary compare and perform. When I went to collect the car, the sun was just rising and as I drove out into the lane, the head on sun hit the windscreen and it was so dirty I had to stop, handbrake on, hazards and clean the inside with the back of my hand. My hand was black! OMG!:doublesho :doublesho

So here's the car waiting for me to get started:
ebfd5e58.jpg

ebfd5dea.jpg

Note the rear bumper where I wiped a baby wipe as a teaser patch :doublesho

Some close ups of areas which will need some attention:
ebfd5d51.jpg

ebfd5f2d.jpg

ebfd5ddf.jpg

FinerDetails

Official SCN Supporter
So I got started - if you've read my reports you'll know my routine by now:
DP foam gun shampoo, APC alloys and arches. I rinsed out the engine bay, and using APC and a brush gave everything a damn good scrubbing out.
Two bucket wash. Rinsed it down, then using the karcher for lub spray, Pinnacle Poly Clay and gave it a good surface clean.

ebfd5d09.jpg

Once dried we taped using the 3m tape, set the kit up and took the PDG reading - a good set of reading all round the car giving confidence to be able to tackle the swirling.

First up was the PC, a wolfgang polishing pad and pinnacle Swirl Remover. Paul got to try the PC first on one half, and then the metabo on the other, using same pad-ploish combo to get a direct comparison of the two machines.
ebfd5cd1.jpg

Next using a finishind pad on the Metabo and Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish we worked our way round, putting a true shine back into the paintwork.

Using the PC, a finishing pad and XMT Finishing Glaze with Carnuba, applied to the whole car by me and left to cure for 10 mins. As paul then wiped the XMt clear - nearly knocking himself out with shock at the - one wipe its gone - ease of the XMT, I followed applying Collinite 845 IW by hand. The wax was then left to cure for 30 minutes.

Whilst that cured I applied megs #20 sealant to the alloys. Cleaned the windows with Stoners, Poorboys Bold n Brite in arches and under the bonnet, Armor All Tyre Shine to the treads.

I then wiped clear with a Poorboys Ultra Plush MF. A final wipe down with Pinnacle Crystal Mist, and a Pinnacle MF cloth. The interior was fully vacced out, the front seats cleaned with 1001 upholstery cleaner, and the windows cleaned. All interior plastics cleaned, cover and matt in ready to return the car to the owner.

Whilst we still had some daylight, we took the opportunity to get some pictures:
ebfd5ca8.jpg

ebfd5be1.jpg

ebfd5b92.jpg

FinerDetails

Official SCN Supporter
Some close up shots:
ebfd5c7d.jpg

ebfd5b9d.jpg

ebfd5ae0.jpg

ebfd5a59.jpg

ebfd5a3f.jpg

ebfd596e.jpg

Thanks to Paul for coming up for the tutorial, it started off very cold this morning, and was a damn good job I'd washed, clayed and dried it yesterday! Wasn't helped by the fact I'd bit the beers last night at a party and was 'rough as toast' this morning :( :eek: :(

Thanks for reading, Iain.

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
Spot on Iain! Great work

But a TDI badges as a GTI? Tut tut

The 150 was the GTI mate... Hence the Red TDI on the engine

Mk4 GTI's:
2.0 GTI (Should have never been a GTI, as slow as hell!)
GTI - 1.8 20v i think (as above)
GTI - 1.8 20vT 150PS
GTI - 1.8 20vT 180PS
GTI - 1.9TDi 150PS

There was also the GT-TDI which i think was 110, 115 and 130

Last edited:

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
I think the thread is to highlight Iain's hard work and stunning results, not what model is badged as what ;)

I was the person being taught - what a fantastic experience it was too. My advice to any would-be detailer, or even just those that want to learn the basics of keeping your car looking good, is to get in touch with someone like Iain. He is a very patient guy, understood what I wanted to get out of our day, and tailored it to suit. Put it this way, it was a near enough 500 mile round trip for me to see Iain, and it was worth doing double that in my opinion. I've got my PC being delivered later this week, and I am so glad I had a proper lesson in how to use it (amongst other things) rather than just steaming in.

A pro-detailer makes it look easy, I was aching like a ******* yesterday and Iain did the majority of the work!

FinerDetails

Official SCN Supporter
I think the thread is to highlight Iain's hard work and stunning results, not what model is badged as what ;)

I was the person being taught - what a fantastic experience it was too. My advice to any would-be detailer, or even just those that want to learn the basics of keeping your car looking good, is to get in touch with someone like Iain. He is a very patient guy, understood what I wanted to get out of our day, and tailored it to suit. Put it this way, it was a near enough 500 mile round trip for me to see Iain, and it was worth doing double that in my opinion. I've got my PC being delivered later this week, and I am so glad I had a proper lesson in how to use it (amongst other things) rather than just steaming in.

A pro-detailer makes it look easy, I was aching like a ******* yesterday and Iain did the majority of the work!

Thanks Reg :D

Don't forget I'd already done more or less the same the day before too ;) It does take some getting use too, its a very physical job

spyke85

I Like Cheese!
Oct 26, 2003
Bolton
Visit site
The 150 was the GTI mate... Hence the Red TDI on the engine

Mk4 GTI's:
2.0 GTI (Should have never been a GTI, as slow as hell!)
GTI - 1.8 20v i think (as above)
GTI - 1.8 20vT 150PS
GTI - 1.8 20vT 180PS
GTI - 1.9TDi 150PS

There was also the GT-TDI which i think was 110, 115 and 130

Shocking that a TDI is badged as a GTi! Cheers for clearing that one up Ed!

spyke85

I Like Cheese!
Oct 26, 2003
Bolton
Visit site
I think the thread is to highlight Iain's hard work and stunning results, not what model is badged as what ;) QUOTE]

Iain did my car the week before and was amazed by the result he achieved! Was just wondering what car it actually was as the Mk4 range just confuses me!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.