Gentle reminder to new owners

mrratty

Aug 10, 2016
Don't forget to put your foot on the brake before putting handbrake on.

Not done it but I bet some will drive the car before reading the manual.

The handbrake only fully engages when the foot brake is operated. Idiotic design implemented by vag group bumper supplier I reckon

Jonwm

New to the MK2...
Jun 22, 2009
Tamworth
Not all VAGs. Passat engages handbrake when you switch off the engine. No need to press brake or even press button.

Same with my Audi, as long as you have your seatbelt on at the point of turning it off that is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

romster1

Nov 26, 2016
W London
Don't forget to put your foot on the brake before putting handbrake on.

Not done it but I bet some will drive the car before reading the manual.

The handbrake only fully engages when the foot brake is operated. Idiotic design implemented by vag group bumper supplier I reckon

thanks for the post I've only just got my Leon and gave up on the manual as the print is so small and its not easy to reference so I wasn't aware of this ' Feature' :)

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
Always staggers me when people don't put their foot on the brake before putting on the handbrake, like people that just pull up without using the button, only ever causing damage, I leave the car in gear 90% of the time as well, no harm since you need to put your foot on the clutch to start anyway so it's reducing the risk of jump stalling into anything

romster1

Nov 26, 2016
W London
All autos which I've driven have generally locked or have had hill start features so that they don't roll so tbh I don't really use the handbrake often unless I'm parked on a steep gradient

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Always staggers me when people don't put their foot on the brake before putting on the handbrake, like people that just pull up without using the button, only ever causing damage

Slight wear on handbrake ratchet or body damage to car or worse ? I'd choose the ratchet , which one would you choose ? :D
In all seriousness though I would have agreed with you before, but from a post on here and some other forum's it seams it's better to pull up the handbrake without pushing in the button if on any sort of slope to be sure the pawl is fully meshed with the ratchet and not sitting on top or or only just holding on the edge of the teeth :)

Last edited:

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
Slight wear on handbrake ratchet or body damage to car or worse ? I'd choose the ratchet , which one would you choose ? :D
In all seriousness though I would have agreed with you before, but from a post on here and some other forum's it seams it's better to pull up the handbrake without pushing in the button if on any sort of slope to be sure the pawl is fully meshed with the ratchet and not sitting on top or or only just holding on the edge of the teeth :)

I park on a pretty steep slope so I have no choice but to full brake pedal and leave in gear, I'll always be a button and a 1 click kind of guy, I can't handle the sound of just pulling it up, feel like I'm hurting my poor car every time haha

Matt_Beaky

Dec 3, 2016
Surrey, UK
I've always been led to believe that it's better not to press the button when pulling up the handbrake, as you tend to then pull too hard which will eventually stretch the handbrake cable quicker

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Either way I have a 2 year lease, it can roll away years down the line when I'm done with it

Sadly they can roll away at any age, some people haven't had to wait two years :D :(
Although what you posted earlier about pushing the foot brake then applying the handbrake should avoid as much cable stretch, as your only really then taking up the slack on the cables as the brakes are already fully engaged :)

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
My handbrake comes on soon as you unclick your seatbelt- did with previous golf too - if it's electric handbrake you are referring too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members