Golf R estate exhaust on Cupra ST

tomosllyr

Jun 7, 2021
I know there are loads of threads on this already but I haven't been able to answer this specific question so hoping someone can help.

I have an early 2018 ST 300 4drive (6 speed DSG). My understanding is that this is pre GPF. I also understand that some Golf R 7.5 estates had GPF (therefore no resonator) and some had no GPF (with a resonator).

I've found a Golf R 7.5 estate exhaust fairly local for a good price. However it doesn't have a resonator. From the photos it doesn't look to have been modified so I'm assuming it's from a GPF model.

So my two questions are:
1) apart from the lack of a resonator, are there any other differences between the GPF and non-GPF Golf exhausts? I.e. will this GPF one fit my non-GPF Cupra?

2) if it fits, has anyone fitted a Golf R exhaust without a resonator and can tell me what to expect sound and drone wise?

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I know there are loads of threads on this already but I haven't been able to answer this specific question so hoping someone can help.

I have an early 2018 ST 300 4drive (6 speed DSG). My understanding is that this is pre GPF. I also understand that some Golf R 7.5 estates had GPF (therefore no resonator) and some had no GPF (with a resonator).

I've found a Golf R 7.5 estate exhaust fairly local for a good price. However it doesn't have a resonator. From the photos it doesn't look to have been modified so I'm assuming it's from a GPF model.

So my two questions are:
1) apart from the lack of a resonator, are there any other differences between the GPF and non-GPF Golf exhausts? I.e. will this GPF one fit my non-GPF Cupra?

2) if it fits, has anyone fitted a Golf R exhaust without a resonator and can tell me what to expect sound and drone wise?
Fitment wise the non-GPF Golf R and GPF Golf R estate exhaust are the same.

But it may not be as simple as the resonator just being deleted from the GPF models, it may very well be the internals of the two silencers are less restrictive too, I'd be surprised if they were, considering how quiet the Cupra R ST is compared to the Carbon Edition, but without them being cut open you can't be 100 % sure.

So, effectively getting the GPF exhaust will be like having a res delete, which for me it droned awfully, (I swapped it back). If the internals are even less restrictive it may drone even more, just factor in you may want a resonator adding back.

It wasn't until I got an anti drone res delete that I could live it on my carbon edition...

For reference it looked like this...

1664716308144.png

Last edited:

tomosllyr

Jun 7, 2021
Thank you that's really useful. I feared as much but the exhaust is so well-priced that I was hoping it would work! I guess I'll just have to keep looking.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Thank you that's really useful. I feared as much but the exhaust is so well-priced that I was hoping it would work! I guess I'll just have to keep looking.
I'd say if the price is right, then go for it. Absolute worst case scenario is you need a resonator added (or the extra tube like on my anti drone res delete.)

tomosllyr

Jun 7, 2021
I'd say if the price is right, then go for it. Absolute worst case scenario is you need a resonator added (or the extra tube like on my anti drone res delete.)
It's £150, which I think is very good. But unfortunately I'm at a point in my life where I haven't got the time to be tinkering too much if it did turn out to be awful and needed to come off for some work. I also use my car for work so can't leave it for a few days to sort if properly either. If it was a straight swap I'd be more up for it.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
It's £150, which I think is very good. But unfortunately I'm at a point in my life where I haven't got the time to be tinkering too much if it did turn out to be awful and needed to come off for some work. I also use my car for work so can't leave it for a few days to sort if properly either. If it was a straight swap I'd be more up for it.
If you have the exhaust I'd look to chop it up due to its size anyway, and then get an exhaust company to make a section with a resonator you could swap in and out easily.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.