Goodbye Tolly/Hello Exeo

cliveseat

May 15, 2008
West Yorks
Well, it's goodbye to my mint '02 Toledo V5 150 after three years of dependable fun. Is this the most under-rated stealth car of the last 10 years, or what? Creamy torque, creamy alcantara, stonking stereo, cultured, refined and revvy, expensive-sounding roar above 3000rpm, smooth gearchange, pointy handling, firm, well damped ride, quality fittings, plenty of no-cost options - what's not to like?
Unfortunately in these eco-conscious times, a few things, actually. Try this: 30 mpg overall (because the thrilling soundtrack alone encourages the odd foray to the red line at 6500) occasionally slumping to nearer 26 if you give it the full beans. Best I ever got was 40.1 mpg overall today - And with rising fuel costs (I treat it to a tank of super-unleaded now and again - it likes the good stuff) the VED rise to £260 seems increasingly harsh. That's Jag territory. Plus, the latest MoT and 90,000 service, carried out by the excellent IVC in Leeds, was a punishing £700 (don't ask) - with the discs and cat probably needing replacement soon (say another £600). That's £1500 in one go, and suddenly after nine years of relatively trouble free travel (bar the odd coil pack), I fear there's more to come (it's still on its original clutch - how long does a clutch last?) And the sat/nav has decided I'm permanently in Bradford even though I live in Wakefield. That's another £300 quid for the aerial and fitting - the roof lining has to come out, apparently. Maybe it's just a bad connection, but it's certainly a hassle for an in-built system.
None of which matters.
You see, the problem is, the Toledo is such a hoot to hoon around in - that V5 really is quality. And with an expensive respray in the lovely original dark grey last year (it was keyed down both sides, exactly one year apart!) and alloys refurbished at the same time, it looks like new, subtle and discreet. Now that WAS money well spent, and I'll post some pictures when I can.
They'll be parting shots, though, taken on its last day in my care. I'm writing this on the eve of picking up a two-year old Exeo 143 Tdi Sport after months of agonising over a possible replacement - and I really mean that. If you think about it, there aren't that many cars which compare with the quality, spec, value for money and engine/handling/acceleration/soundtrack/comfort combination offered by a good V5. I would imagine the 170 is even better, but I've rarely felt I needed the bigger engine.
So: A BMW? Too common, too cramped, too expensive and - for me - over-rated. An Octavia vRS? Maybe, but why are they all electric blue, and have those white bits on the seats which makes them look grubby? How about a Giulietta - shouldn't every man own an Alfa at some stage, according to Clarkson? Maybe when the prices plummet, as they surely will. Lovely car though. I actually ended up trying a number of MiTos - 120 Lusso, 120 Diesel Veloce and an absolutely gorgeous black 155 Veloce with EVERY option (it cost almost twenty grand new - two years old, £11,995). Well, it's certainly different, and I have never known a car attract so much attention - people wave and smile at you in a MiTo. But they weren't driving it. I was - and I wasn't smiling back.
The 155 in particular (red leather!) was fantastic - for about 30 minutes. After that you realise that no amount of kit can compensate for creaky plastics and a granite ride. Honestly, after half an hour at the wheel I felt like I needed a hip replacement, despite seeking out what I know to be well surfaced roads. It's almost like the car was inventing bumps of its own.
All of which meant you couldn't use the performance - which was considerable - on anything but a billiard table or maybe a track. Shame really. Even so, if I was 15 years younger and knew a good osteopath, I'd have bought it in a heartbeat.
Audi, then? A decent S-line Sport is £15k. You can probably guess where this is going.
So, the Exeo, then. A dealer had a beautiful Urano grey (unfortunate name, great colour) TDi Sport up at just over 11.5k. Slightly up miles, but fully-loaded - looking very mean and tempting on 18" alloys.
Within 10 minutes of taking it out on a test drive, I felt very much at home. Firm ride, great seats, impressive mid-range urge, good handling, nice soundtrack, quality switchgear, climate, decent stereo - in fact, pretty much an obvious successor to the Toledo in many ways. OK, it doesn't rev like the V5 - but according to other owner/contributors to this excellent forum (thanks Andyj, mine's just like yours) an easy 50 mpg is on offer. Even though DERV's about 5p a litre more expensive than unleaded, that still represents quite a saving. Factor in the £115/year VED and I thought the Exeo put up a very convincing argument. And there was that familiar heft about the steering that I liked so much in the Toledo. In short, the Exeo feels like a premium product and, unlike the MiTo, doesn't feel like it will shake itself to dust within a year. So I'm going to buy it tomorrow, all being well. I have a feeling I'm going to like it very much.
And the Toledo? Well, if I had room, it would be a keeper, but I don't, so it's part of the deal for the Exeo. But not a very big part, I'm sorry to say. It's going in as a £950 p/x. That's right, not even a measly grand (although that's what the Alfa dealer offered me against the MiTo). Nine hundred and fifty quid. I must be mad. And if it turns up at an auction I might be tempted to buy it back. I wish I could - and I also hope whoever has it next treats it as well as I have, keeps it looking nice (not hard), and has about £500 to throw at it. Take it from me: it WILL be worth it.
Now, since I'm meant to be starting a new thread here, I'd like to ask anyone who's made the transition from the Mk1&2 Toledo/Leon to the latter day SEATS like the Exeo and Ibiza (the Cupra DSG is a fabulous car) how they rate the newer models against the old. For what it's worth, I think SEAT have got some cracking cars in the range right now (why are people still buying overpriced Golf GTis and overlooking the equivalent Leon?). I know, it's all about residuals. But choose carefully, as I hope I have with the Exeo, save yourself a bundle and feel smug about the VFM. After all, the price differential between an Exeo CR143 Sport and a two-year old spec'd-up A4 S-Line buys an awful lot of diesel.
For those still with me - thanks for reading this. I'll let you know how my transition goes from one grey SEAT to....er....another grey SEAT.
Sorry about the lack of Smilies, but it's late. Plus, I'm getting my new motor tomorrow. Or did I already mention that?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Congratulations on the new car - interesting read!

The new SEATs are a vast improvement. You won't look back

Ictoanuk

Mar 31, 2007
Nice post, looking forward to the updates as I'm sure all of us are who are thinking ahead to a future with out a Toledo V5.

Tim

cliveseat

May 15, 2008
West Yorks
Thanks for the encouraging noises, guys. Got it today, love it already. Now all I have to do is wrestle the keys away from my 23-year-old son - 7 days free insurance! He drives a Citroen C2, so it was good to give him the chance to get behind the wheel of something tasty. He loved it too. Not surprised, the quality's far more than just skin deep on the Exeo.
Took some final pics of the V5 at a local park and came over all dewy-eyed because it looked so fine. Promise I'll post them in Readers Rides as soon as I can work out how to do it. The Tolly even recorded 35 mpg during a final motorway/A road blast, bless it. Then drove to the dealer to collect the Exeo, got stuck in rotten jams in appalling weather, so only managed 38 mpg (indicated), which I hope will be the worst it ever records. Took some more pics of the Exeo at the same park, during a brief dry interval, so have a fitting record of both outgoing/incoming cars. Sad day/happy day.
Will be posting on Exeo forum from now on.
V5 owners - keep the faith, enjoy them while you can. Give it another couple of years and I reckon the Exeo TSi211s (if you can find them) might just turn out to be the kind of performance bargain the Toledo always was. Now there's a thought...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.