Got LCR225 a week ago - some questions

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Hi folks,

I received my 55-plate LCR 225 a week ago and after a few commutes, a few blasts for fun and a 250-mile round trip to the nearest Ikea with the mrs. yesterday, have a few questions...

• Seen a lot of posts on the stock windscreen wipers being crap. My front ones aren't too bad but the rear one is worse than useless. I'm considering the Fabia rear wiper mod but to be honest the biggest problem is the washer jet at the rear - it sprays a tiny amount of liquid only just high enough up the screen to be visible past the center rear headrest. You end up with a tiny arc you can see through. Anything that can be done about that?
  • I only got the one key (the flip-type one) with my car when I took delivery. I saw a post (in the Mk1 Leon FAQs I think) regarding acquiring and programming replacement keys which I might try before coughing up to my local dealer for a replacement. However, maybe I'm just being paranoid but I don't like the idea that someone somewhere still has the other key for my car. Is it possible to reprogram the car and my remaining key so that the missing key no longer works?
  • The front splitter on my car is broken :( Is this a difficult/expensive fix?
  • The car is just over 4 years old and has done about 44,000 miles. The service log book is a bit vague but it doesn't look like it's had a cambelt/timing belt change. Should I get that done? Any other essentials due about now?

Cheers for now :) May add to this thread as it goes along.
8bit

Last edited:

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
i think the splitters are about £25, i asume its a case of unscrewing the old 1 and screwing the new 1 on :)

PSX

Sep 20, 2009
Rear wiper is definitely a common complaint. I didn't want to carry out the mod, but did find that a Bosch blade, although not always a consistent wipe unless the rear glass is soaked, is at least always a silent wipe! Stuck with that for now. As for the wash jet - it sounds like the pressure might be a little low.. if there's any water in the boot then it may be leaking, I've heard the hose tends to get loose on these cars (thankfully not on mine.. yet..)

To my knowledge, new keys are recoded to the car - so it's possible to code up new keys but the old ones may remain valid - some change to the ECU might be needed. In my opinion a Disklok is the best option, I have to put it in a bag in the boot but it's the best security for a non CCTV carpark and the chrome looks good :)

Splitters only clip into the bumper, though it is a very flush fit and might need 45mins or so of careful yet firm wrestling to pop it out. Start with the sides, then the front edge, finally push the central posts downward - very stiff but they do pop out. A little WD40 on the central posts of the new splitter makes a world of difference heaving them back in on the new one!

As for belts - personally I would change at 50-60k - though belts will also perish with age as well as just the miles. I'd say whenever you hit 55k or maybe before the winter sets in again this year.

Hope this helps,

Alex

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.